Poll: How long have you been married (current marriage)?

How many years into current marriage (highest applicable)?

• 45+

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 35+

Votes: 49 17.9%
  • 25+

Votes: 77 28.1%
  • 15+

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Married, less than 5 years

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Single

Votes: 55 20.1%

• Total voters

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Current marriage only please - not sum of multiple marriages, not adding years living together before marriage, not former marriages. Current marriage.

Last edited:
38 for us.:) Even my parents didn't put up with me for that much time.

Thanks for including "single" as one of your poll options.

If I had not divorced my ex in 1998, we would have been married 40 years last October. But that's OK; I'm ever so happily divorced and enjoying life. :dance:

I miss the 15+ mark by just over a week.

I didn't get married till I was 38. Had the first kid at 39, and the second at 41. Needless to say - this is later than most folks. But I waited for the *right* guy...

Jan 1st I'll be married 15 years.

I know that's a short amount compared to most folks here....

20 years, married at 44, retired at 50, still have a 16 and a 18 year old at home (priceless), hence my username/handle.

37 years.

Guess I can't try to convince people I'm 39 years old. :rolleyes:

Sometimes people ask about the secret to our long marriage. DW and I say that there are 2 factors: 1) You have to marry young, and 2) you have to be too stubborn to leave. She's just kidding about #2, I think.

35 years this past August.

Never married, no kids. Same GF for 24+ years.

Marriage is a thing created by governments. It is tax oppressive and obsolete.

Sometimes people ask about the secret to our long marriage. DW and I say that there are 2 factors: 1) You have to marry young, and 2) you have to be too stubborn to leave. She's just kidding about #2, I think. 35 years this past August.

When I was a bartender, one older couple said something like this. He was about 90. He said she was always welcome to leave, and if she wanted to come back, she would have to stand in line.

Without seeing the couple it may not sound as humorous, but it was definitely funny at the time.

We always joke that our marriage was a good thing for society, because it "got two of 'em off the streets."

Married in 2002, so that's about 58 years by my count. (Kidding, of course, best thing that ever happened to me)

Marriage is a thing created by governments. It is tax oppressive and obsolete.
The tax penalty was a factor in the date of our wedding. My husband suggested 1/1 - and I popped back with - Yay- that works for taxes. He thought I was nuts till I explained that two working people with decent income can be pushed into a higher tax bracket if married.

There is no tax penalty if your combined income is less than around 72k.

There is a tax BENEFIT if one spouse is SAHM or has lower income and the other has higher income.

In other words... one flat statement does not apply to every married or single couple.

Last edited:
2) you have to be too stubborn to leave. She's just kidding about #2, I think.

My wife and I substitute "lazy" for stubborn. When we were still dating we made a for-fun list of why we'd wind up married. Near the top of the list was

"Too lazy to find someone better."

Still true 20 years later!

:LOL:

When I was a bartender, one older couple said something like this. He was about 90. He said she was always welcome to leave, and if she wanted to come back, she would have to stand in line.

At 90 that is probably very true. IIRC, women outnumber men about two or three to one from the mid 80's on.

Back
Top Bottom