Poll: How long have you been married (current marriage)?

How many years into current marriage (highest applicable)?

• 45+

Votes: 17 6.2%
  • 35+

Votes: 49 17.9%
  • 25+

Votes: 77 28.1%
  • 15+

Votes: 41 15.0%
  • 5+

Votes: 24 8.8%
  • Married, less than 5 years

Votes: 11 4.0%
  • Single

Votes: 55 20.1%

• Total voters
Coming up on 28 years for us : )

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Happily single.

Just celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary in November :)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

35 here, hard to believe.

One of the gentleman I've met in Costa Rica trip last year said when asked ...

"Been married for 35 years, happily for 7."

True. However, out of necessity. Just watch a couple episodes of Judge Judy in which "lived together" couples try to untangle their finances after things went South.

Marriage, if nothing else, does provide legal protection to each party... perhaps not equal protection but at least it is "on paper."

Yes, there are a lot of important benefits - survivorship rights on pensions, spousal benefits on health insurance, the ability to move money around between accounts without it being seen as a gift by the IRS, exclusion from estate and inheritance taxes, and in some cases additional benefits from Social Security.

Been married for 39 years to the same wonderful wife. Not that it's all been perfect, but she's a great person, and helped me to be a better person... That and she's a much better shot than I am! :what:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Married for 24 years to two husbands & now living with SO for fifteen years .Occasionally I am tempted to get married again but then I come to my senses.

Married 37 years. Married my HS sweetheart. We dated two years, engaged another two years, and since we lasted that long decided to go for broke. FIRE'd instead...

Married an older woman 15 years ago. Her birthday is two days before mine. She's a keeper!

Last edited:
I was happily married for 16 years. Sadly the marriage lasted for 26 years.

Been happily common law now for 19 years.

Been happily common law now for 19 years.

In Colorado that is the same as the formal bureaucratic kind of marriage -- and incredibly easy to create. In addition, it has the same "rights, privileges, and headaches" when ending such an arrangement.

Common Law Marriage | Colorado Divorce & Family Law Guide

Since there's no such thing as a Colorado common law divorce, if the couple breaks up, they also enjoy all of the rights, privileges, and headaches of a formal Colorado divorce or legal separation. Trying to remarry without a formal dissolution would be bigamy, and renders the second marriage void!

Last edited:
Separation and property settlement agreement in 1997 after 12 years of marriage (all the assets divided. ouch!!, why did I co-mingle my assets:facepalm:). Legally divorced a few years later.

Now happily living with my SO nearly 7 years. All of our kids are on their own!!

30 years and felt lucky everyone of those years

The partner and I have been together 27+ years. We would be married but it is not legal in our state....yet.

Congratulations! Have you considered taking a road trip to get married where it is legal? We did a quick drive up to Washington before it was legal in Oregon. To be recognized by the government as being a married couple is awesome.

22 and counting ... trying to keep up with our parents (42 and 46) and DW's grandparents (made it 75 and 73 before they passed on).

28 1/2 years and counting! Life is a roller coaster, plenty of ups and downs. I hate roller coasters, but I love my DW, so I stay with her.

Back
Top Bottom