Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Got a Flat, Who Are You Gonna Call?
No problem - I'll fix it myself 71 57.72%
No problem - That's what roadside assistance is for 46 37.40%
No problem - That's what a spouse/friend/good samaritan is for 2 1.63%
Problem - I'm totally unprepared 1 0.81%
Other 3 2.44%
Voters: 123. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-25-2014, 02:33 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Depends on what vehicle has the flat:

- If it's DW's car, she calls me.
- If it's my truck, I change it.
- If it's the RV, I call roadside assistance.
+1

I have not had to change a flat RV tire, but I would call for road assistance. My RV does have a spare tire (not too many RV do), and I carry 3 jacks just in case, but it is only the last resort if I am stuck somewhere remote. Even this class C is heavy, and jacking it up is not as simple as with a 4,000-lb car. It can be dangerous.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-25-2014, 02:55 PM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

I have not had to change a flat RV tire, but I would call for road assistance. My RV does have a spare tire (not too many RV do), and I carry 3 jacks just in case, but it is only the last resort if I am stuck somewhere remote. Even this class C is heavy, and jacking it up is not as simple as with a 4,000-lb car. It can be dangerous.
I've had two flats on my RV's, both taken care of by roadside assistance. No spare on the first one (40' diesel motorhome), but discovered the flat before leaving the RV park and it turned out to be a bad valve stem. The other flat happened on our 5th wheel when a leaf spring broke, causing the tire to rub against the shock mounts and puncture. This one happened on I-25 in Colorado Springs, but I did have a spare for roadside assistance to install - after replacing the broken spring.

Although I do carry a spare on the RV, I don't carry a jack. If I did have to change a flat I'd simply drive the other tire on that side up on blocks until the flat was off the ground so I could remove it (single wheels on two axles), but that would be a last resort. As you say, too dangerous, and that's why I subscribe to a roadside assistance service.

When I hit 70, it hit back

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension
REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 03:06 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I subscribe to a roadside service for both the cars and the camper but I've never used it. The only flat I've had in many years happened late in the evening and they said it would be an hour until they could get to me. I changed it myself in ten minutes and we were on our way.

The majority of effort with a routine flat on an automobile isn't putting the spare on. It's getting the flat fixed or buying a new tire as appropriate, securing the jack and other tools so they're not rattling around and figuring out if the event has triggered a change in your tire rotation schedule, etc.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:24 PM   #24

I was overhauling car engines at 14, worked in gas stations in high school/college, I think I still remember how to change a tire.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:28 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
I was overhauling car engines at 14
I thought at 14 you would have been shoeing the horses Walt.........
Old 04-25-2014, 03:30 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Walt was rebuilding his dad's model T.
Old 04-25-2014, 03:34 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've made sure to learn how to change a tire if I need to but I have AAA and will let them do it under most circumstances.
Old 04-25-2014, 04:03 PM   #28
Administrator

Poll: If You Get a Flat Tire, Who Are You Gonna Call?

[silly] Ghostbusters? [/silly]

Sorry, couldn't help it! Every time I see this thread title that response comes to mind.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 04:09 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by youbet View Post
I thought at 14 you would have been shoeing the horses Walt.........
....well, we had to mine the ore to make the steel to make the car first.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
[silly] Ghostbusters? [/silly]

Sorry, couldn't help it! Every time I see this thread title that response comes to mind.
Same here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Depends on what vehicle has the flat:

- If it's DW's car, she calls me.
- If it's my truck, I change it.
- If it's the RV, I call roadside assistance.
Same here for DW and my car. At least once per year over the past 4 years for me, just bad luck.

Yesterday afternoon after the roofing crew left I went out and double checked the driveways and street using a large magnet they left behind. Picked up 8 roofing nails between my house and the one next door. Had a nice chat with the job foreman this morning.
Old 04-25-2014, 05:17 PM   #31

As the resident belt, suspenders AND elastic waist band guy, I carry the following (in order of preference to use): 1)AAA card and cell phone. Very handy if the tire actually needs to be taken off and changed out with the spare OR if the car really needs to be towed due to traffic or damage. 2)Emergency Starting Battery with built in tire pump, emergency flasher, emergency LED lighting. Works for "slow leaks" AND when the bead-seal hasn't been lost. Won't work for explosive decompression (severe damage - aka blow out). 3) Free standing 12v tire pump - also with emergency flasher and lights - just in case I have moved the "Jumper Battery" out for a day or 3 to add more luggage, etc. - or when I've forgotten to charge the Jumper Battery for a year or three). Works with cigarette lighter and also only to re-inflate an intact (but slow-leaking) tire. 4)Costco's finest tire sealant, inflator. I used to use these a lot (heh, heh, meaning every few years) to get me where I'm going in a hurry - then on to the tire repair place. NOTE: OF LATE, TIRE REPAIR PLACES ARE SKITTISH ABOUT DEALING WITH TIRES THUS INFLATED. One place charged me (Maybe) $10 extra - after I honestly answered that i had used the stuff. Truly, I would NOT want to injure a tire person, so if I have to go this route, I'll fess up about it. 5) I'll dig out the manual and figure out how to change the bloody tire - assuming I can find everything. Haven't gone this route in maybe 20 years. Hope I never do again, but I remember how. Oddly (or not) some car companies suggest strongly that the consumer not even attempt to change a tire OR in some cases, there IS NO spare - just a so-called run-flat. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:20 PM   #32

I change flats on my truck--industrial job site, metal bits everywhere.
Husband changes flats on his trunk--construction job sites, metal bits everywhere.
Older corvettes, whoever is driving is responsible.
Newer corvettes, have run flats.
My husband has had a couple of tires go flat in our driveway. Tires have had screws/bolts embedded in them. He locates leaks and plugs them.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:34 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

I have a $6 12v tire inflator in my trunk. Sold by Harbor Freight. I use it to reinflate my tires whenever the pressure runs a little low. I also have a spare. I haven't changed a tire in 10-15 years but it's pretty simple.

DW had a flat while at work a few years ago. She had someone at work change it. Unfortunately the spare tire was also devoid of air. Somehow she made it the 25 miles home. I need to put the $6 tire inflator in her car since she drives way more than me.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:35 PM   #34
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
I change flats on my truck--industrial job site, metal bits everywhere.
Husband changes flats on his trunk--construction job sites, metal bits everywhere.
Older corvettes, whoever is driving is responsible.
Newer corvettes, have run flats.
My husband has had a couple of tires go flat in our driveway. Tires have had screws/bolts embedded in them. He locates leaks and plugs them.
I noticed I'd picked up a drywall screw and rather than pull the screw and have the tire go instantly flat drove to a tire shop for a patch - they came out to the waiting room to say it couldn't be safely patched, I called bull$$t and hustled out to give them static about trying to up-sell this knowledgeable consumer a new tire when I just needed a plug and patch. Harumph!

When I got there I found the point of the 3" (!) screw had abraded the inside of the sidewall as the tire made it's revolutions, making a nice deep 2" arc in the sidewall. yikees! I thanked them for their assessment and agreed that they were totally correct.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:43 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I have noticed that over the years, I tend to have more flat tires in the rear due to nails than in the front. My theory is that as the front tires run over the nail or screw, the latter got stood up, if only momentarily, for the rear tires to get impaled.

Do you have the same experience?
Old 04-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I have noticed that over the years, I tend to have more flat tires in the rear due to nails than in the front. My theory is that as the front tires run over the nail or screw, the latter got stood up, if only momentarily, for the rear tires to get impaled.

Do you have the same experience?
Yes, and that is the same theory I've heard to explain the phenomenon.
Old 04-25-2014, 09:20 PM   #37

My truck - I change
Dw's car - she calls me and I change it
My corvette - no spare - never had a flat- but I have a tire repair kit and have no idea if it will work
Old 04-25-2014, 09:51 PM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Speaking about tire puncture repair, plugs are not kosher and the hole is supposed to be patched from the inside. Places like Costco and Discount Tire do not use plugs. The reason is that the plug does not ensure that compressed air cannot get in between plies of the tire and cause thread separation later on.

The above said, I do carry a tire plug repair kit for emergency repair if needed, then have the tire fixed properly later.
Old 04-25-2014, 10:45 PM   #39

It depends on where I am and what the weather is. If I can make it to a parking lot or quiet road on a warm day. I'll change it. On the side of a busy interstate in rainy/freezing weather, time to call road assistance.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:44 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Interesting that this question reminded me that I am sorta unprepared. I have roadside assistance with insurance and with the car purchase but I am not sure where the number is. Need to make sure it is in the car. On the other hand I have changed many a flat so shouldn't have too much trouble BUT I don't know what is involved with flats on my car. Don't know what tools are in the back. Don't know what kind of spare is in there. Don't know where the jack points are. Don't know whether they are locking hub nuts. Need to check that out. I can't remember the last time I had a flat and don't look forward to having one.