Poll: should he list this on his college application?

Should he list it on his application?

• Yes

Votes: 10 19.6%
  • No

Votes: 23 45.1%
  • I like bacon

Votes: 18 35.3%

• Total voters

SecondCor521

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all,

My son is a senior in high school and is filling out college applications.

He is regularly ranked in the top 100 in Overwatch, an online video game played by over 30 million people.

Should he list this on his college application?

Happy to provide more details but wanted to ask the question with a fairly blank slate.

Thanks.

Looks like a "Kill them all and let God sort them out" kind of video game. Not that it would be appropriate to list expertise with any video games as a prelude for college.

Unless he's planning on majoring in video games, I think it would be better left unsaid. Maybe he can list that particular qualification on his fraternity application.

I voted no. I don’t know how adcom view video games.

Last edited:
I voted yes... video games require certain skills... analytical, reasoning, determination, teamwork and other skills that vary depending on the specific game.... that he has attained such a significant skill level is an accomplishment worth mentioning but not dwelling on IMO.

I voted for liking bacon, but that’s because without knowing what he plans to pursue in college, it’s hard to say. Generally, I would say no. However, there might be some framework where that would be worth mentioning. In that sense, I agree with pb4uski, might be worth mentioning but not dwelling on it.

One thing about hobbies, if there’s a chance the person interviewing you or scanning you could have an interest in the same thing, it’s a nice nugget to have. My dad was a marathon runner. He hired a few runners at that time in his life. Know your audience and your objective.

Good question. DD’s college had a quirky part of the application that would have been perfect for this information, but in the standard section, no.

I wonder if a college would be impressed that he spent so much of his time on a video game.

When he adds this to his application, it is similar to other tech and hobby accomplishments. His future will require different skills than we are accustomed to, or agree with. His experiences as a consumer of tech will provide an experience base that is valuable to many companies.
Hope he has other things to add to the app...

In Riyadh, ~30 years ago, a Filipino applicant for some outside tech job or other, submitted, along with other 'documentation'*, a certificate saying that he had hiked Mt. Pinatubo; and either he or another guy also claimed to have placed third in a 'Pin The Tail On The Donkey' contest.

Intended to display fitness and manual dexterity I guess.

No idea whether he/they were hired or not.

(*There seemed to be a 'school', or at least an address in Manila, where, if you wanted this or that documentation, you got it.)

I voted bacon, of course.

Unless there is a direct connection (ie, a degree in digital arts, etc), I would not list. If an opportunity presents during F2F, maybe then.

I would say yes, with the caveat that he has other extracurriculars/accomplishments that can balance the video-gaming.

-gauss

I think the "other" data will determine the school's view of this data. If, in addition to being an accomplished gamer, the person also excelled in academics and interpersonal pursuits, the gaming data might be a plus in a close call between candidates. If the gaming data is meant to enhance lackluster "other" data, I doubt that it matters one way or the other. If the "other" data is qualifying but on the cusp, I would leave it out as it risks providing a character flaw of immaturity when making a choice of areas to excel as academic achievement may have lost priority to gaming achievement. If the college competes in the gaming of the achieved ranking, including it may result in a scholarship for the gaming team.

Was this supposed to be posted in the Thursday joke thread?
+1

Thanks for the morning smile. While I agree that being proficient at video games requires some useful skills I have to admit that as the standard old gray haired white guy on the admissions committee I would not be impressed. Perhaps if applying to some particular areas but I wouldn't think most. Now if he was a 4.0, president of the student council, all state QB,etc then by all means. It is clearly a prejudice as I tell my own children as they consider a tattoo or piercing. Now if he was a concert level pianist that is a different matter. Funny.

I would say yes, with the caveat that he has other extracurriculars/accomplishments that can balance the video-gaming.

-gauss

I'm a gamer and I agree with this. If it's his only highlight? Leave it out. If it's part of a good balance, then ok.

I just shared the thread with DW who is takes part in the admissions process as well and was in fact a Faculty head for years. She said good question as the university actually has an Overwatch team which competes internationally. So perhaps it should go down if he is applying to a university with a team. It's going to be the new All-State QB in the post-football era.

I would include it.

Thanks. Keep them coming.

As far as the balance question goes, he has numerous other things he would be listing: summer jobs, math tutor, good GPA, good SAT and ACT scores, mountain climbing, IB diploma with HL's in Chemistry, English, and Global Politics.

I checked this morning and the schools to which he is applying just have club teams, not sponsored teams (@6miths).

I'm a gamer and I agree with this. If it's his only highlight? Leave it out. If it's part of a good balance, then ok.

Yes. I taught in top universities for 20 years and was on an admissions committee for five years.

He should highlight it. Who knows, maybe someone on the committee plays Overwatch.

I voted yes... video games require certain skills... analytical, reasoning, determination, teamwork and other skills that vary depending on the specific game.... that he has attained such a significant skill level is an accomplishment worth mentioning but not dwelling on IMO.
I would mention the skills demonstrated in a competitive environment but not the game. If they are interested, they may pursue.
I think the "other" data will determine the school's view of this data. If, in addition to being an accomplished gamer, the person also excelled in academics and interpersonal pursuits, the gaming data might be a plus in a close call between candidates. If the gaming data is meant to enhance lackluster "other" data, I doubt that it matters one way or the other. If the "other" data is qualifying but on the cusp, I would leave it out as it risks providing a character flaw of immaturity when making a choice of areas to excel as academic achievement may have lost priority to gaming achievement. If the college competes in the gaming of the achieved ranking, including it may result in a scholarship for the gaming team.
Yes it may be necessary to customize based on which college if possible.
Yes. I taught in top universities for 20 years and was on an admissions committee for five years.

He should highlight it. Who knows, maybe someone on the committee plays Overwatch.
This is a high risk. It might pay off. But does he want to be pigeon-holed so early?

Why would it pigeonhole the applicant any more than being an excellent golfer, or tennis player, or basketball player?

Back
Top Bottom