Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: When we go out for dinner, more often than not I'd rather...
Eat at my favorite restaurant(s) and order the same favorite appetizer, entree and/or dessert as usual. 54 41.54%
Go someplace new and different, or at least try appetizers, entrees and/or desserts I've never tried before. 53 40.77%
Other (I'd rather stay home, etc.) 23 17.69%
Voters: 130. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I'm surprised the poll came out that even. We like to cook as well, but we aren't willing to pay to eat out every day/night. And I also tend to order in restaurants dishes I can't make at home due to ingredients, special equipment and/or technical degree of difficulty. I'm willing to try most anything once, who knows you might like it. And in fairness DW is reasonable adventurous though it's usually sampling from my order, while eating her tried and true favorites (again). Thanks everyone...

Target AA: 60% equity funds / 35% bond funds / 5% cash
Target WR: Approx 2.5% Approx 20% SI (secure income, SS only)
Midpack is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:41 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

We are in the favorite restaurant, same dish category when we eat out (or get take out), but we usually eat at home (we spend around $1000 a year dining out for a family of 4). Since we have kids, pizza and chinese buffet are always a pleaser. We have 1 of each in the neighborhood that we walk to, so these are the easy choices for the rare occasions we eat out.

But when we do go to restaurants where you order a specific plate (ie not buffet), we usually get the same thing. The Pad Thai at Pei Wei's for example. It is about the only thing I like there, and it is expensive and time consuming for us to make pad thai the same way at home, so we'll hit them up occasionally, especially if we have a BOGO coupon ($7 for enough pad thai for the 4 of us).

Old 05-16-2012, 11:46 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords

This menu might seem unacceptably dull to many, but consider that my palate was developed during 90-day underwater patrols where you couldn't just stop in at the local 7-11 for a Slurpee...
yeah but... All the bug juice you can drink. Green OR red! It's like a warm Slurpee! And those great dinners where Cookie was down to just the cans that had lost their labels...

I like my own cooking. Chili sauces, peppers, garlic, onions. DW, not so much. Too spicy, she says? We do dine out every week or two, but mostly to places she considers safe. No Thai or Moroccan cuisine. :-(
Old 05-16-2012, 12:01 PM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Just got home from lunch. This is what you call going "on the cheap" as we went to Wendy's. We might do this twice a week. Two sour cream and chive baked potatoes ($1.29 each. They were $.99), one crispy chicken Ceasar wrap ($.99), one cheesy cheddar burger ($.99) and two senior diet Cokes (free). Total $4.98 including tax. No tip. How can you beat that for lunch?
Old 05-16-2012, 01:46 PM   #45

I seldom eat out because I grow a lot of the food I eat, I'm a good cook and I'm frugal. I may eat Chinese or pizza once a month and that's a choice of one or the other not both. I've been a vegetarian for close to 30 years but I'm getting tired of cooking and often fantasize about eating out and not growing much more than some tomatoes, cukes and pole beans.

The problem is most places aren't geared to vegetarians though you can find non meat dishes in most places, the sodium and fat content is beyond your control, it would be a big increase in the amount of money I spend but on the plus side it'd free up a lot of time and be fun. I like unusual dishes so ethnic restaurants would be my choice.
Old 05-16-2012, 04:17 PM   #46

Frequent cooking will help you live longer

Quote:
During the 10 year study, 695 of the participants died and an analysis of the cooking habits of the studies participants, revealed that those who cooked more were more likely to still be alive (only 59 per cent of the frequent cooks died). The possibility of other factors, besides cooking, was also extensively investigated, but the aforementioned link still remained.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #47
Full time employment: Posting here.

Loved the article about cooking, Nemo. Not surprised that it has health benefits.

We eat out about 1/3 of the time. We love to cook, but we enjoy ethnic foods that we somehow can't quite cook as well as the restaurants do (like Ethiopian). And I participate in a lot of Meetups where eating is the main social activity. We try to do different restaurants. Being vegetarian, I don't have unlimited options since some ethic restaurants have nothing vegetarian on the menu (some Vietnamese restos do, some don't).

What amazes me are all the meetups that are nothing but happy hours and people make their dinner out of this. Some can be bargains at half price, but it;s all fried things.
Old 05-16-2012, 08:08 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I'd try it. Never miss an opportunity for something new - you might not get another chance.
I agree. I'll try pretty much any ethnic food. My theory has always been that if someone else eats it and it doesn't kill them, then it probably won't kill me. I've tried some pretty surprising foods that I turned out to love. Of course, I've had a few that haven't killed me but were unbelivably disgusting. That guinea pig looks pretty yummy compared to some foods. One rule I've developed, never eat seafood in an ethnic restaurant of a landlocked country.
Old 05-16-2012, 10:20 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
And in fairness DW is reasonable adventurous though it's usually sampling from my order, while eating her tried and true favorites (again). Thanks everyone...

I tend to like a lot of different tastes so enjoy buffets where I can get a lot of small bites. Failing that I often make sure that DH and I order something different so I can taste a bite of his.
Old 05-16-2012, 11:07 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

We eat most of our meals at home...both DH and I enjoy cooking. When we go out to eat we like to try different restaurants. Last fall we were in Peru and we did try the cuy. Neither of us were crazy about it. I thought that it was okay but not great. It did not taste like chicken. The flavor was closer to duck.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:00 PM   #51
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veremchuka
I seldom eat out because I grow a lot of the food I eat, I'm a good cook and I'm frugal. I may eat Chinese or pizza once a month and that's a choice of one or the other not both. I've been a vegetarian for close to 30 years but I'm getting tired of cooking and often fantasize about eating out and not growing much more than some tomatoes, cukes and pole beans.

The problem is most places aren't geared to vegetarians though you can find non meat dishes in most places, the sodium and fat content is beyond your control, it would be a big increase in the amount of money I spend but on the plus side it'd free up a lot of time and be fun. I like unusual dishes so ethnic restaurants would be my choice.
I usually go for the vegetarian dishes when I'm at an Indian place. I actually prefer them over the meat dishes.
Old 05-17-2012, 02:05 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by harley View Post
I agree. I'll try pretty much any ethnic food. My theory has always been that if someone else eats it and it doesn't kill them, then it probably won't kill me. I've tried some pretty surprising foods that I turned out to love. Of course, I've had a few that haven't killed me but were unbelivably disgusting. That guinea pig looks pretty yummy compared to some foods. One rule I've developed, never eat seafood in an ethnic restaurant of a landlocked country.
Good rule. I think we've followed it without even knowing...
What's the strangest food you've eaten? For me, I'd have to say fish gills.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:22 PM   #53

Quote:
What's the strangest food you've eaten?
Lived on wildebeest, every meal for a week, once in the Selous.......not strange, but pungent when sweating after ingesting that much.

Does Arby's count?

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Nemo2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 06:18 PM   #54
Give me a forum ...

We eat at home most of the time because DW loves to cook and the results are usually superb.

We use Groupon or Groupon-like service that slaps emails on me daily for 50% off something. We eat out a few times a month and try to go to a different place even if it's not something that we are familiar with. You win some; you lose some.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. Groucho Marx

In dire need of: faster horses, younger woman, older whiskey, more money.
mickeyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 07:54 PM   #55
Give me a forum ...

My "fine dining" restaurant choices are pretty limited out here in East of the middle of Nowhere.
I do most of the cooking, at home. Too much #!@* salt in restaurant food. And the prices...ridiculous.
About twice a month, Mr B will do an gentle arm twist to go to the Chinese buffet or Applebee's if we are out doing other things. Or he will grab a pizza or an 8 piece chicken dinner with 2 sides/biscuits/2L soda (for $9.99) if I feel lazy about cooking.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:51 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Good rule. I think we've followed it without even knowing...
In college some of my fellow bio majors met at a professor's house where we tried a few of the delicacies he had had in his life. Chocolate covered ants, garlic butter fried grasshopper, mealworm party mix. Really not bad, although I'd probably not do it now that I'm older and more sober.

The hardest thing to eat I ever had was fish head soup at a Chinese New Years party at work. I had a whole group of Chinese coworkers watching me, so I ate it with a smile (or maybe a grimace). I had the honor of America to uphold.

The nastiest thing I ever ate was Nieuwe Herring in The Netherlands. It's a slimy salted raw fish that you hold by the tail and lower down your throat. At least on that one they cut the head off first.

I'm not sure I could eat gills. They're so tough and chewy looking.
Old 05-17-2012, 11:25 PM   #57
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by M Paquette View Post
And those great dinners where Cookie was down to just the cans that had lost their labels...
"Friday Night Surprise"!

Over 25 years later, I still have flashbacks about heading back inport (after 90 days underwater) to pick up the nuclear inspection team. We'd also pick up a load of fresh fruit & veggies, and even 200 feet away from the hatch you could smell fresh oranges coming aboard.

Quote:
Sea cucumber.

Tastes like chicken salty calamari. Come to think of it, we had calamari that night too.

The menu was prepped at a Chinese restaurant in Monterey, CA, about a mile away from the kelp beds where you could practically wade through the little suckers. Our party was a group of volunteer guides at the Aquarium, so that night just about everything on the menu could also be found in the Aquarium's tanks.

We had the Aquarium's only group of guides who were qualified to answer the smart-ass question "Hey, what does this taste like?"

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote