Pop-Up Drains

Amethyst

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
We have a drainage issue in back of our home. The rain gutters do their job, but over the years the house has sunk a bit, and rainwater pools around the foundation. See attached photos.

The solution, we've been told, is to get rid of the concrete splashblock, and install underground drainpipes connected to pop-up drains concealed in the lawn. I've gotten the general idea from some videos, and wanted to be sure we buy the right items and do a good job.

There is a modest slope from the foundation to the grass, which is 11 feet away. The plan is to put a round adaptor on the end of the drainpipe and fit it into a 12-foot length of non-perforated flexible plastic pipe* (can't get rigid pipe that long into our small car). From the drainpipe opening, bend the plastic pipe into a shallow trench leading into the grassy area. Attach a round plastic pop-up drain, with its adaptor, to the far end of the plastic pipe, and fill in the trench to bury the pipe and leave the round, flat top of the pop-up drain flush with the grassy area.

*Don't want to use perforated plastic pipe (which we actually have in our shed) because want the full force of the water to push any sediment from gutters into the end of the system...not dissipate along the way, possibly leaving sediment in the pipe.

What is this scheme missing? Do we need to put gravel in the trench or under the pop-up?

Thanks very much,

Amethyst

Attachments

• 2014_0820drainpipe.jpg
    2014_0820drainpipe.jpg
    696.8 KB · Views: 15
  • 2014_0820drainpipe_1.jpg
    2014_0820drainpipe_1.jpg
    937.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 2014_0820drainpipe_2.jpg
    2014_0820drainpipe_2.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 12
Does your ground freeze during winter? I had disastrous results with underground drainpipes in Minnesota.

We are in Maryland outside Washington, D.C. Certainly it goes below freezing at night during winter, but not like Minnesota.

Amethyst

We have a drainage issue in back of our home. The rain gutters do their job, but over the years the house has sunk a bit, and rainwater pools around the foundation............

When they back fill the new foundation, they use loose fill. Over time this fill compresses and you get a flat or negative slope. If you can, I'd just add more dirt and let the gutters drain over the surface of the ground. Underground pipe fills with leaves and other debris, plus can pop out under freeze thaw conditions.

We just run an extension of the drain from where it currently exits to the grass and relocate the splash block so it exits onto the lawn.

Easier to deal with if you have a blockage from debris or freezing.

We have these on all the downspouts but more for esthetic reasons. But the ground never freezes here. Not a popup, just a round plastic grill kinda thing that the water goes through. I remove the grills and clean them out every few years.

Last edited:
I put in underground drain tile from all of our downspouts. Took off the bottom downspout elbow, replaced with the plastic downspout/drainage tile adapter, then a small piece drainage tile(4" black plastic) to underground about 6", then an elbow and drainage tile about 10' from house, then an elbow up and a small piece of tile capped with a slotted lid. I didn't use the pop-ups.

It is true that this type of installation can freeze. Most of the time a little rain or melting snow coming off the roof will melt the ice in the tile before there is a problem. But problems occur when a big rainstorm takes place after a period of freezing weather. the water will then spout out usually at the joint between the downspout and tile adapter. This isn't good because its right next to the foundation.

It may help to use perforated drain tile so that any standing water in the tile can drain through the perforations before the line freezes.

I think the erosion is due to no ground cover beyond the splashblock. Also, splashblock is to0 far from downspout outlet. OP's idea is a bigger project than necessary, I think. I would connect some perforated or solid 4" corrugated drain pipe to the downspout and grow some ground cover or use stone to keep the soil in place. When the ground cover is stable you could remove the corrugated drain pipe but may need to reduce the slope a bit.

Interesting idea, and I can see why the pictures might suggest that. The whole area, however, was thickly covered with plants until recently, when I dug them out in order to dig the recommended trench. The plan is to plant grass. Now that our trees are huge, and the lot itself appears full instead of empty, we do not need so many decorative beds.

Amethyst

I think the erosion is due to no ground cover beyond the splashblock.. .

Back
Top Bottom