Portable camping chair

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
DW and I use portable collapsible chairs regularly during the summer for Ravinia and Botanic Garden events. The chairs we were using left us with aching lower backs because of the bad posture. This spring I went out and looked for a portable camp chair with lower back support and found The Strongback Chair Strongback Chairs — Welcome We each got one and used them frequently, often 5+ hours at a time. What a difference. Anyone with similar needs should strongly consider this option. Not one ache. My brother and his DW also bought a couple and are also happy.

That said, a couple of critical observations. It is heavier and bulkier than most other camp chairs, not as portable as it seems. I can carry both but nothing else. Armrests are a bit harder. Not sure how well it will hold up, but construction looks solid and the fabric should last.

I had two REI camp chairs that I bought in the late 1990s for $25 a piece. At the time it seemed an outrageous expense, but these were the first ones on the market that I'd seen and I thought they were a great idea. I still have both of those chairs and while they are certainly in rough shape after a life in the salt air, they are still "sittable".

I like the way yours are made, though, and I bet they will be very durable.

They do look comfy!

I have just bought more of the ALPS Mountaineering chairs for the Beast (my RV) (google "2 Fat People in an RV" if you want to see pics of her)

These chairs are rated for up to 350 pounds and they are both sturdy and fairly light in weight. I love 'em. I have 2 in my travel trailer, 3 in the RV and one at home :)

Nice timing Michael, we may well be in the market for a couple of chairs. Do you have the ZEN ($49.95) or ELITE ($79.95) model?

Nice timing Michael, we may well be in the market for a couple of chairs. Do you have the ZEN ($49.95) or ELITE ($79.95) model?
DW has the Zen and I have the Elite. I bought her's at Dicks Sporting Goods for $39 + tax but got mine from Strongback online for $79 plus pricey shipping. My brother and his DW got Elite's elsewhere and paid less. I'll ask him where.

The key difference betwwen the two is not weigh bearing but height (back and seat) I would say if you are tall - close to 6 feet - you need the Elite.

DW has the Zen and I have the Elite. I bought her's at Dicks Sporting Goods for $39 + tax but got mine from Strongback online for $79 plus pricey shipping. My brother and his DW got Elite's elsewhere and paid less. I'll ask him where.

The key difference betwwen the two is not weigh bearing but height (back and seat) I would say if you are tall - close to 6 feet - you need the Elite.

Just what I needed to know - thanks. I am 6'1", DW is 5'1" .

My brother bought his chairs here Welcome to Wind and Weather Their normal price is $10 less and the shipping is also less. I don't think they sell the Zen, however.

Added as an afterthought: caveat emptor. How well the fabric holds up is always a concern on camp chairs and this product is new.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom