Possible Tricare data Compromise

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
My apologies if this has been posted before. I just got back from a couple of weeks in Alaska and have not had time to read the many posts since returning last night, but I thought that this may be important info for some of you folks.

Possible TRICARE Data Compromise
SAIC announced a "security failure" today in the handling of TRICARE customer data. The company alerted MOAA that "uniformed service members, family members and others were at risk of potential compromise." The company said the situation was a "totally unacceptable failure on our part." SAIC said that "forensic analysis has not yielded any evidence that any personal information was actually compromised; however, the possibility cannot be ruled out." SAIC is notifying approximately 580,000 households (870,000 beneficiaries) of the incident.​

The SAIC's website contains additional information including a news release, questions and answers, and contact information.

MOAA is deeply troubled to learn of yet another potential breach of personal information of the uniformed services community. It is vital to the nation's security that the personal information of military families be protected at all costs. Additional updates will be provided through various MOAA media as information becomes available.

I received that letter also, directly from Tricare. It doesn't appear to be a confirmed breach, that it, there is only a possibility of compromise. It appears that they transmitted the data through unsecured circuits that are subject to hackers, so there is a possibility of compromise. What is bothersome is that this is the same company that had a potential breach of security with social security data some years back. From what I know of SAIC, they have good people but their regional contractors operate fairly independently, so one hand doesn't always know what the other one is doing. Here is a more detailed story from the Wash Post.

washingtonpost.com

Back
Top Bottom