Praire Dogs popping up from their Cubicles.....

C

Cut-Throat

Has anyone seen the Honda Pilot Commercial with the Praire Dogs Popping out of their holes - They then cut to the office where the employees are popping up from their cubicles. Hilarious!

But really when you think about it. These cubicle things are downright humiliating! - I think Dilbert first capitalized on this point. I hated my cubicle and it makes me glad I out of the workplace. :)

Re: Praire Dogs popping up from their Cubicles....

It reminds me of how degrading companies are to their paid slaves. Why people who are degraded by being segregated to the confined area of a cubicle don't have a burning desire to ER is beyond me.

I love it when the guy in the commercial who has that vision decides he wants to spend more time camping. He truly is an ER wannabe. It really makes me wonder if cubicle-people lack that extra layer of brain tissue that gives them AT LEAST enough smarts to plan to ER. When I talk to cubicle-people, they usually complain about how bad their job is and that they can't wait for quitting time on Fridays. But then when I start talking to them about how to get to FIRE, it goes in one ear and out the other.

And I'm slated to be moved to a cubicle in the near future. :mad:

I remember well the turf wars we middle managers
had over cubicle layouts, sq ft per person per grade
level, who got what cubicles, etc. It was an awful
waste of time!

Cheers,

Charlie

I remember well the turf wars ... It was an awful waste of time!
As are SOOOO many other things that occur in the workplace.... as I sit here in my cell...er.... cube.

Hmm, it isn't what's in my cube that bothers me, it's what lays outside my cube but inside the fence...

I don't mind cubes per se, but the rationale that "people facing" employees need the offices, when they don't ever meet customers in their office, is what riles me most.

Still have many years to go before FIRE though.

Sadly, it took me 8 years of work to finally merit an office (with an actual door and walls that go all the way to the ceiling). No guarantee that I'll get one at my next gig, though. I really hate cube life.

"My office was so poor that..."

... we didn't have windows (classified military stuff).
... we didn't have cubicles (no one wanted to pay for short walls if we were just going to stick pins in them).
... we didn't have janitors or "cleaning staffs". (You had to clean up your own mess.)

So most of my working life was spent in open rooms filled with desks & community phones. In a 1995 version you used to go to a table at the side of the room to use "THE" computer, as long as you concluded your business in 15 minutes. One of my former commands (1996) limited e-mail access to O-6s & above because of the "high phone charges" incurred to download twice a day (from Hawaii to San Diego). That finally changed when we all started using home-based Hotmail to do our work.

So, yeah, cube life sucks but it's a great reminder of why we're all striving for ER...

At the risk of sounding contrary, my cube years were the best years of my working life. The larger the office became, the more miserable and stressful my working life get. Am I the only one?

At the risk of sounding contrary, my cube years were the best years of my working life... Am I the only one?
No, I know a guy that spent half his life working in a cube before he spent the other half in prison and he tells me the same thing.

We ALL lived in cubes, even the president and chairman. Status was bequeathed on how big your cube was, where it was located, and how much cool furniture you managed to latch onto when other people left.

The company was experimenting with "open office" stuff just as I left. Think cubicles with only one back wall and two half side-walls with lots of little meeting spaces and whiteboard sprinkled throughout. Computers were mounted on the walls with two little shelves, one for the monitor and one for the keyboard. You could opt to have these mounted where you'd stand to use them rather than sit, in order to give yourself more room in your 'area'.

The setup looked very cool. Everyone hated it.

A couple of years after I joined my boss was offered a corner window cubicle, albeit in a very small building. It was smaller than his existing office and he wasnt too much of a status snob so he offered it to me.

Interesting dynamic. A corner window cube basically said you were pretty far up the food chain. All I had to do was invite someone over to my cube for a meeting and people who had previously been a little hard to deal with immediately softened up.

I have a 1x3 locker that I share with another person in a room with at least 75 other people. A cube sounds mighty nice when you need to just have some space.

You'd think assisting in the process of bringing new life into the world might afford a bit more.

Judy

Back
Top Bottom