Preheat the oven

imoldernu

Gone but not forgotten
Of course.... dumb question.

So... DW says just add about 3 minutes to the cook time.
Google says... well, the first thing that came up wasn't intelligble.
The second said... Set it at the desired temp... and wait 10 minutes.
The third said... set for the desired temperature and wait 4 minutes.
The next site said set the "Pre Heat for the desired temp and wait for the buzzer. Ummm... my oven doesn't have a preheat cycle.
And then... the next site said don't trust the recommended cook time, but always use a thermometer. :confused: In a pizza?

So simple... but I know that you'll know. Takers? :dance:

Ours buzzes when the set temperature is reached. My mom used an oven thermometer that hung from one of the racks.

The indicator light on the temp knob goes out when it reaches the right temp. Recently DW used an accurate thermometer to check the temp of our oven and was pleasantly surprised to find a close match.

There are a few useful answers here:
https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080224220610AAIa4Ai

Do you still have the manual for your stove? I'll bet the information is in there somewhere.

My (electric) oven buzzes when it reaches the set temperature. I have not timed it, but preheating probably takes at least 15 minutes. I know this is relatively slow, but I use the time to assemble whatever I want to bake. There is also a "grill" setting which is faster, but it may scorch the cheese on a frozen pizza. So usually I set the oven to preheat and take the pizza out of the freezer only when the buzzer goes.

If you are a purist, you might want to try making pizza from scratch:
Homemade Pizza Recipe - Laura in the Kitchen - Internet Cooking Show Starring Laura Vitale

Last edited:
The next site said set the "Pre Heat for the desired temp and wait for the buzzer. Ummm... my oven doesn't have a preheat cycle.

Doesn't your oven tell you when it reaches the set temperature?
If not, just get an oven thermometer (they're only a few bucks at a kitchen supplies store) and put it on the oven shelf so you can see it through the glass in the door.

So... DW says just add about 3 minutes to the cook time. That will be OK some times, and not others. If you don't care about results...
Google says... well, the first thing that came up wasn't intelligble.
The second said... Set it at the desired temp... and wait 10 minutes. Not bad.
The third said... set for the desired temperature and wait 4 minutes. Probably not long enough.
The next site said set the "Pre Heat for the desired temp and wait for the buzzer. Ummm... my oven doesn't have a preheat cycle. OK, surely you have a oven thermometer.
And then... the next site said don't trust the recommended cook time, but always use a thermometer. :confused: In a pizza? No, for meats though.

So simple... but I know that you'll know. Takers? :dance:
What's wrong with checking the temp (surely you at least have an oven thermometer) or waiting 10-15 minutes before putting the dish in the oven? You are retired. :cool: Ours preheats, displays temp as it increases, and buzzes when it reaches set point - usually takes less than 10 minutes unless we're going for 450F or more.

Last edited:
Some ovens used to have a pre-heat setting. Ours has a timer and buzzer, no matter what temperature it's always 8 minutes. All that said every different oven depending on the heating implementation probably is different. I like the idea of a standard oven thermometer hanging. There may be more advanced devices too, but I'm unaware of them.

Our builder grade gas range is low by 25 degrees compared to a hanging thermometer, which may be right based on a lack of done-ness when cooking to set times and with a 10-15 minute preheat.

Baking bread fairly often I find that a 15 minute preheat works well, given that I'm preheating cast iron pans. For pizza I preheat and go with 500 degrees and whatever time makes it done.

Our builder grade gas range is low by 25 degrees compared to a hanging thermometer, which may be right based on a lack of done-ness when cooking to set times and with a 10-15 minute preheat.

Baking bread fairly often I find that a 15 minute preheat works well, given that I'm preheating cast iron pans. For pizza I preheat and go with 500 degrees and whatever time makes it done.

If your oven temp is not accurate you can usually adjust the control knob. You change the knob to match the temp of the oven instead of adjusting the oven to match the reading on the knob.

On my GE gas oven the adjustment screw is in the back of the knob.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I'm with the others on using a thermometer or waiting 10-15 minutes. I can guarantee that adding 3-4 mins. won't work. We have a really nice GE oven and it takes at least 10 minutes to reach 350 degrees. If you start a pizza before the oven is hot enough you'll end up with doughy crust. Same for other baked goods. Things like chicken and such will turn out better, but still not as good as starting at the right temp. Watch Alton Brown on Good Eats and you can learn all about this stuff. Cooking for scientists.

If your oven temp is not accurate you can usually adjust the control knob. You change the knob to match the temp of the oven instead of adjusting the oven to match the reading on the knob.

On my GE gas oven the adjustment screw is in the back of the knob.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Got me all excited and went out to look - duh - forgot it was a digital set - no oven knob! If I get all enthused I'll maybe pull the back off the control area and see if there is an adjustment screw evident on the valve, but given the limited work area allowed by the gas line length and the need to do repeated tests to check settings I'll probably just go with adding 25 degrees to the stated temp required. lazy cuss. I'll check our knob type gas stove up north for a screw though - that's a neat trick to have in mind. Thanks!

Got me all excited and went out to look - duh - forgot it was a digital set - no oven knob! If I get all enthused I'll maybe pull the back off the control area and see if there is an adjustment screw

for the electronic type there is a calibration procedure using the buttons. This is a general example, you may need to look up one specific for your model

Appliance411 FAQ: Oven Temperature Calibration

I have an old (20 years) electric wall oven that beeps when it's pre-heated. I only use that oven when we have overflow from the gas oven or when I'm making cookies.

I have a bertazzoni no-frills gas range. No temp indicator, no thermostat... we use a hanging oven thermometer. I also use a meat thermometer for roasts and stuff. The knob (analog) has markings roughly indicate the temp - but I use the hanging therm. to adjust over the course of cooktime. My husband hates this feature, but we both love the cooktop and the fact that since there are no electronic controls the oven and stovetop will work during a power outage.

Our fancy new $1100 in wall oven takes forever to preheat so I put that puppy on broil for 4-5 minutes to get it nice and hot, then put it on the correct preheat setting and wait for it to beep.

Some dishes don't care whether the oven is preheated. Casseroles come to mind.

Our fancy new $1100 in wall oven takes forever to preheat so I put that puppy on broil for 4-5 minutes to get it nice and hot, then put it on the correct preheat setting and wait for it to beep.

Some dishes don't care whether the oven is preheated. Casseroles come to mind.

Pre-preheating?

OP here... :blush::blush::blush:

I should preface my comment by saying that it has taken me 75+ years to find out that I've been peeling bananas from the wrong end. Learned the right way from a monkey.

Und wir bin too soon alt und too late schmardt!

So now... the moment of truth.
Since our electric range is fairly new... 15 years is fairly new in this household...
I wondered after reading all of the posts, WHY? Why doesn't the range have a preheat. DUH! :facepalm: All I had to do was to touch the temperature button to the wanted number, and press start... The digital panel comes up "Pre-Heat" and the range buzzes when the temperature is correct.

For all of these years, I've been setting the temperature... then the timer, and then the start....

Pssst... don't tell anybody about this...:nonono:

Reminded me of this:

So the Iowan walks into the hardware store to buy a chain saw. He says, "I want one that'll cut down about ten trees in an hour." So the clerk sells him one. The next day, the Iowan comes in all upset and says, "Hey, this chain saw only cut down one little tree in one hour!" The clerk said, "Gee, Let me take a look at it." And he pulled on the starter rope and the saw started up and the Iowan said, "Hey, what's that noise?"

Why doesn't the range have a preheat. DUH! :facepalm: All I had to do was to touch the temperature button to the wanted number, and press start... The digital panel comes up "Pre-Heat" and the range buzzes when the temperature is correct.

And it was likely in the manual :D

Yep, mine works like that. Select bake, then temp, hit start and it goes into preheat. I don't really care I go ahead put the stuff and cook till it's done.

The idea is that an oven already at the correct temp cooks more evenly... if that matters.

OP here... :blush::blush::blush:

So now... the moment of truth.
Since our electric range is fairly new... 15 years is fairly new in this household...
I wondered after reading all of the posts, WHY? Why doesn't the range have a preheat. DUH! :facepalm: All I had to do was to touch the temperature button to the wanted number, and press start... The digital panel comes up "Pre-Heat" and the range buzzes when the temperature is correct.

For all of these years, I've been setting the temperature... then the timer, and then the start....

Pssst... don't tell anybody about this...:nonono:

Hey, you're never too old to learn, imoldernu! :D

Last edited:
The answer is the almost universal... "it depends".

I've noticed that almost every recipe starts with "pre-heat the oven to xxx". Is it necessary? I'll agree with others, and in some cases, I'd say yes.

Some foods need to go in at the stated temperature to turn out properly, usually a matter of getting a good crust. Sitting for 10-15-20 minutes while the oven goes from room to 350-450 or whatever could really throw off the results. Especially if the total cook time at the set temperature is a short time.

In other cases, the recipe writer wants to try to give a specific cook time, and ovens vary so much in preheat time, it is safer to just say 'preheat, and bake for xx minutes. You already have the variable that different ovens don't all hit the set temperature, and there are hot/cold spots, why add another variable?

For other foods, I'm sure it doesn't matter (something that's going to be in for several hours), but writers are lazy and just say 'preheat' out of habit.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom