"...press any number..."

mickeyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
South Texas~29N/98W Just West of Woman Hollering C
I have been receiving calls on my LL for the last month or so (received 2 today) where there is no one on the other end of the line. After about 15 seconds the call is dropped with no message. Annoying yes, but no big deal on the surface.

I received a very strange robo call recently that I suspect is attached to some kind of phone scam, but I can not prove it. After picking up my phone and saying hello there was no immediate response (as other calls). After a delay of maybe 10 seconds the Robo caller begins "I can not understand what you are saying (or words to that effect). Press any key to continue."

I did not press any number and hung up ASAP. I assume that by pressing "any number" the call would be directed to someplace else on the planet and the scam would be continued in some way.

Has anyone else received a simular call or calls?

Yes.

I never press the number. I wonder if by doing so I would provide them with a justification for phone spam on my "do not call list phone". I wonder if perhaps they could argue that by actively pressing the number, I expressed willingness to hear their phone-spam.

Then I would never be rid of them.

Yes.

I never press the number. I wonder if by doing so I would provide them with a justification for phone spam on my "do not call list phone". I wonder if perhaps they could argue that by actively pressing the number, I expressed willingness to hear their phone-spam.

Then I would never be rid of them.

That is my thinking also.

I have also begun to receive an occasional telemarketing call. When I ask where the got my unlisted number (mine is listed) the hemming and hawing begins and when I inquire as to why they are calling when I it's is against federal law to call me on the DNC list...bzzzzzzz. Not sure how to turn them in to the feds when I can not ID the caller.

Not sure how to turn them in to the feds when I can not ID the caller.
You might have to go along with the sales pitch and appear to be an eager buyer in order to get their contatc info. I'm just guerssind.

MY MIL has a hobby of trying to tie up telemarketers as long as possible. It's a little game of hers--drag out the call and gradually make clear that she's a terrible prospect until eventually the salesperson voluntarily gives up.

"Oh you're offering us a new credit card--that's great. I can't hear you very well, let me pick up the other phone." (30 seconds) Oh, that's much better. Can you hear me? A new credit card is just what my husband and I were discussing! I'm glad you called. Are you hearing a ringing? Wait, I think it's probably my hearing aid, let me adjust it." (30 seconds of fumbling noises). "Okay, tell me about this card" (60 second spiel ensues).
"Well, we need a card now because my husband lost his job and a new card would let us pay the rent for a few more months." She'll drag this out for as long as possible, gradually revealing the cancellation of the other cards, impending bankruptcy, etc.

I heard her one time when the subject was life insurance. That was a hoot.

You might have to go along with the sales pitch and appear to be an eager buyer in order to get their contatc info. I'm just guerssind.

MY MIL has a hobby of trying to tie up telemarketers as long as possible. It's a little game of hers--drag out the call and gradually make clear that she's a terrible prospect until eventually the salesperson voluntarily gives up.

"Oh you're offering us a new credit card--that's great. I can't hear you very well, let me pick up the other phone." (30 seconds) Oh, that's much better. Can you hear me? A new credit card is just what my husband and I were discussing! I'm glad you called. Are you hearing a ringing? Wait, I think it's probably my hearing aid, let me adjust it." (30 seconds of fumbling noises). "Okay, tell me about this card" (60 second spiel ensues).
"Well, we need a card now because my husband lost his job and a new card would let us pay the rent for a few more months." She'll drag this out for as long as possible, gradually revealing the cancellation of the other cards, impending bankruptcy, etc.

I heard her one time when the subject was life insurance. That was a hoot.
Ask her if she has heard this...YTMND - The Original How To Prank a Telemarketer

I received a very strange robo call recently that I suspect is attached to some kind of phone scam, but I can not prove it. After picking up my phone and saying hello there was no immediate response (as other calls). After a delay of maybe 10 seconds the Robo caller begins "I can not understand what you are saying (or words to that effect). Press any key to continue."

I did not press any number and hung up ASAP. I assume that by pressing "any number" the call would be directed to someplace else on the planet and the scam would be continued in some way.
There are many good reasons not to press any key, but you won't end up getting billed for the call. Most likely explanation is that you are being spammed by people who can't even get their robot working right.

If we do hear something we hang up immediately anyway.

Some folks never answer their phone, they let the answering machine answer and listen to see who it is. Can't get DW to do this though.

Back
Top Bottom