Proud Parenting Moment

txtig

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW and I usually use this term to mean just the opposite; a not-so-proud parenting moment. However, I was chatting with my youngest son who was home from college for the weekend. He is in his final year of school, and will graduate in May and already has a job lined up. He told me that he was reading a book that reminded him of me. I was thinking oh my gosh what could it be and fearing what he's about to tell me. Then he tells me the name of the book is The Millionaire Next Door.

Now I haven't actually read the book, but I'm aware of it from reading this forum. He pointed out a few specific behaviors that he read about in the book that he had seen in me: buying cheap sneakers, driving a 10-year-old car, living in a modest home, and so on. He knew all about LBYM, and quietly accumulating wealth over a long period.

Turns out that his roommate, a finance major, told him about the book. Since he's about to embark on his professional working life in just a few months, I thought this was a great time for him to read such a book. Really made me feel good that he's picked up on my example and wants to apply this in his life. It really was a proud parenting moment.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

Congrats! There's hope for this world!
Actually, I made MY day.

Awesome. Many of us are envious.

Congratulations, txtig. All parents do the best we can imo, and if we're lucky our little birds do okay flying away from the nest, and if we're really really lucky we get a little validation about our efforts, as you just did.

It's a great feeling, isn't it?

My 24-year old DD surprised me a few months ago when she texted to ask my advice. "Mom, I get a raise this month. I currently contribute 5% to my 403b. Should I increase that to 7% or 10%?"

So maybe she did learn something from us.

That's great. I can understand why you would feel so good.

Next he'll be asking, "So Dad, are you a millionaire?". Just kidding.

Awesome. Many of us are envious.

+3

It was nice that his roommate suggested the book, if I were to suggest the book to one of my kids, it would have went in one ear and out the other :(

Thats a great read for someone just starting out, so congrats to you and your son. Now we just need the author to write an updated edition called, A Million $s Ain't What it Used to Be:D

Unfortunately, Dr. Stanley passed away last year, but his daughter Sarah is continuing his work and research.

That is great that your son is exploring these topics at his age. And oh so correct that hearing about it from a peer is more valuable than from dear old mom and dad! I talk to a lot of 20 somethings, and it always surprises me that they more readily take my advice than that of their parents, who are <gulp> near my own age.

Back
Top Bottom