PSA - Aldi stores now taking credit cards

Tom52

Full time employment: Posting here.
I posted in another thread about the largest denomination bill in your wallet earlier, but I thought I might make it sort of a PSA. DW mentioned last night that she received an email from Aldi's advising that they will now take credit cards. We just got back from Aldi's and can confirm that they did take our CC so we are now able to get 2% cash back on our CC for purchases at Aldi's. Another advantage for us is we can drop our debit card which costs $16.05 per year. The only place we ever used it was at Aldi's anyway.:dance:

As a disclaimer, I asked the cashier at Aldi's if all stores now take CC, they said that all Aldi's in their "district" now takes them but they were not sure if this was nationwide. So as a precaution be sure to take your debit card just in case not all stores have switched over to accepting credit cards.

hmm.. must be a regional rollout for sure. The Aldi we went to in Pittsburgh the other night didn't take them.

It's funny because I haven't gotten over Aldi taking debit cards for the last several years and the "fancy" stores. I love Aldi's but we don't have one close by. Whenever I would be in a certain part of town on business I would go there but I was limited to whatever cash was in my wallet (in the spirit of the previous thread) so hardly ever spent over $30.

I went to Aldi twice... do not see the appeal that some have for the store... it is very small, so small selection, and the prices were not that great (at least for here where I have read many times we have the most competitive grocery market)...

I only went twice since I bought a paper shredder they had on sale (it was a great price), It was not easy to put together (really strange as all other I have bought there was nothing to do) but the thing was actually broken when I got it home.... did not find out until I had finally gotten it in one piece...

They have now built 3 or 4 of them around where I live... so might try again and see their prices...

PS... do you still have to pay for the cart?

I

PS... do you still have to pay for the cart?

Ha Ha....I was going to ask that too. It wasn't an issue for me since I could carry my $30 worth of stuff in my arms. For the uninformed, Aldi used to require that you pay a quarter to use a shopping cart. The quarter was refunded when you put the cart back in the corral. I know people that absolutely refused to go there just because of the cart policy.

Funny, I go there precisely for the small size, small selection, and great prices and cart policy! Mega supermarkets with a million choices don't attract me at all as I buy essentially the same things each week: basics. You don't "pay" for carts, just insert a quarter to free them from the chain and then get it back when you return the cart to the chain. Totally sensible system and prevents stray carts all over the parking lot and beyond.

Great to know about the CC. I shop for groceries about once every 2.5 weeks. I'm due to go to Aldis tomorrow. The last time I went, I had to return a few items to the shelf when I checked out because I didn't have enough cash on me. I especially like shopping there because of the relative small selections. I always keep a quarter in the car for the cart. Many times, however, someone existing the store just turns their cart over to me without accepting my quarter. So, likewise, I just pass the cart on when I exit.

For the uninformed, Aldi used to require that you pay a quarter to use a shopping cart. The quarter was refunded when you put the cart back in the corral. I know people that absolutely refused to go there just because of the cart policy.
That quarter makes their carts so much better than other places' carts(like wally world's). They don't get dragged sideways by the cart jockeys flattening the wheels, or left out in the weather or being hit in the lot. I gladly pay the quarter, only to get it back again. The credit card news is good news.

I'm so happy.... as besides the points on my CC, I'll be able to better track my spending.

I just download my yearly payments/withdrawls from bank account to total up my yearly spending instead of entering some number every day/week/month.
Problem was the cash used at Aldi could have been from sources other than the bank, so accuracy was only within $1,000.

The cart borrowing system is only a pain when its raining out, but I find I'm so cheap and hate carts all over the lot that I still take it back.

In summer I see couple of local kids hanging around watching for the lazy shopper who leaves the cart, so the kids end up making some $$$$

My ad also showed Discover and American Express. I used Mastercard in store today.
I shop Aldi's every week.

I wish we had Aldis here. They're supposed to be opening one about 25 miles north of me sometime soon...

That's good to know. Sounds like a win win. I bet customers who bring out a cc versus cash or debit probably end up spending more.

I'll have to see this weeks ad when it comes and check if it shows discover and amex too

Brand spanking new Aldi's will be opening in a few weeks here - right across the street from the Trader Joes and in the same lot as the In'N'Out burger that opened in February. The cart corral already has the 25 cent ransom sign posted. Within 3 miles of here. Riches! Have never been to an Aldi's, but have been jazzed to do so after reading about the way they operate to keep down overhead and prices while keeping quality high.

Attachments

• ALDI_CreditCard_Carousel.jpg
    ALDI_CreditCard_Carousel.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 12
If you are a shopper who buys from the perimeter of a grocery store..ie fresh produce, meat, dairy, eggs and such, ADLI's is wonderful. In and out in a flash with fresh food at a great everyday price. It's about as effortless as grocery shopping can get.

If you like brand names and lots of canned or frozen items, they might not work for you.

The closest one to us is about an hour north so I haven't been there. Used to shop at them in Germany all the time so hope they make it down our way soon.

BTW the coin deposit for the cart with the chains is the norm in Germany and in some other parts of Europe at nearly all stores with carts, big and small.

The ones near me have taken credit cards for about a year now.
Some real good prices on some items, but their produce is always disappointing.

Thanks for the tip. I just used my Discovercard at our local Aldi today. I was surprised that for ~70 worth of groceries, it didn't require my signature! The chip part is not working yet. You have to swipe the card.

What I like about Aldi is the scattering of higher quality European food (for example chocolate that is actually edible) amongst the average quality but dirt cheap domestic stuff. Our local central Florida stores started taking credit cards. I am sure we will pay for it in higher prices like we always do.

I like Aldi alot. Prices are much cheaper than Walmart here in Dallas. If you're into name brand items, the Aldi brands are as good as those and are 2/3 to 1/2 the price. I've only found a few items that I didn't like compared to name brand items.

I'm constantly amazed how people get hung up on name brands and pay twice as much.

I've been using my Discover Card at Aldi for a few weeks now.

Back
Top Bottom