Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-11-2008, 11:14 AM   #21
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cute fuzzy bunny View Post
....and on another occasion an equally large mass of another product which will remain nameless, but suffice it to say that my wife leaves a box of them out as a warning signal to keep my mouth shut every now and then.
toaster waffles?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-11-2008, 12:13 PM   #22
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Some of the earlier low flow toilets were wimpy in the flush. The newer ones have solved the problem and with the two we have now it's not a problem at all. There was a noticeable drop in our water usage when we changed to the low flows. The next time we need a new toilet I'd like to get a dual flush one. Makes a lot of sense.

On the other hand, I find a low flow shower head intolerable. I feel like I'm in the "Oliver" movie pleading, "Please sir, may I have some more?" I had saved our original shower head and after about two days I took out the low flow one and put back the old one. I refuse to feel guilty about it.

Old 09-11-2008, 01:23 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
If all the toilets are having the same problem, you might have to fish the cleanout for the main drain with a snake. Any trees growing near the sewer line? If its just one or all the ones on one floor, you might just want to call a plumber.
My slow draining flush toilets problem was diagnosed by two plumbers (independent of each other) as tree roots. I had a service come in and videocam my line to its tie up with the main sewer line, and there were two points in my old clay pipe sewer line where tree roots had come in. Luckily, I had a wide lawn and since the videocam service also included the # of feet from where the clean out valve began, I could measure on my lawn where those points were.

The plumbers proposed $8,000.00 to dig up and replace the old clay pipe with pvc sewer pipe for about a 24 foot length. My son and I dug up the spots and went down about 4 1/2 feet each time (leisurely digging on my part which was on and off for 3 weeks in the summer), and isolated the pipe joints. I then called in the plumber to cut the pipe and replace with an (municipality) approved plastic type sleeve to join the excised lengths. Cost me $600.00 for the two areas, and I backfilled it myself according to code. No more slow flow.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:38 PM   #24
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We have guys around here that'll dig one hole, core the whole thing out and then feed a sleeve into it. Almost no digging and you get a whole new line.

I have no idea how much it costs...but Gabe and I watched a crew put one in last year. Not sure which of us found it more interesting...
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 03:59 PM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
On the other hand, I find a low flow shower head intolerable. I feel like I'm in the "Oliver" movie pleading, "Please sir, may I have some more?" I had saved our original shower head and after about two days I took out the low flow one and put back the old one. I refuse to feel guilty about it.
We've had this one for over six months and it's more than lived up to its hype:
Oxygenics®- Super Charge Your Shower

No cleaning or mineral removal required, either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 07:06 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue J View Post
I refuse to feel guilty about it.
I'll do you one better...I installed a dual showerhead in our master shower, and took both the water regulators out. I'd originally done this so that when Gabe wants to take a shower with me or his mom, one of us isnt standing under the water while the other freezes.

Sometimes I turn on both showerheads at the same time when I'm in there by myself. Its like being under Niagara Falls.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:08 PM   #27
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
We've had this one for over six months and it's more than lived up to its hype
Little handheld showerhead. You can tell who was in the Navy and who wasnt.

My dad, at age 75, still takes a shower by getting wet, turning the shower off, soaping up, turning the shower back on to rinse and then turning it off again. He's had the city over to his house 3 times to check the water meter because it was turning in numbers so low they thought it was broken.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:05 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Hey, it comes with wall/spigot attachments. The nice thing about this low-flow showerhead is that you don't have to feel guilty. Plenty of spray, plenty of pressure, no clogging. And in a pinch it can also be used to pressure-wash the walls!

Quote:
My dad, at age 75, still takes a shower by getting wet, turning the shower off, soaping up, turning the shower back on to rinse and then turning it off again. He's had the city over to his house 3 times to check the water meter because it was turning in numbers so low they thought it was broken.
Been there, done that, won't do it anymore. Especially when spouse and I already save so much water by showering together.

It turns out that the entire adult human lifecycle (including food prep & laundry) can be supported by the Navy's habitability goal of 22 gallons per day. Extra required for flushing toilets if they don't use seawater.

The submariner's quarters in Yokosuka & Subic Bay had waterfall showerheads with such heavy flow that you practically needed a SCUBA regulator to stand under them. After a month or two at sea (especially if the evaporator had been breaking down) I'd just stand under it for five minutes... with a cold beer... it was almost as good as going on liberty. At least until I finished the beer.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Wow...toilets, washers, wire hangers, Joan Crawford, waffles, showerheads and submarines all in the same thread with just 28 posts. Is this a record?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:19 PM   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Wow...toilets, washers, wire hangers, Joan Crawford, waffles, showerheads and submarines all in the same thread with just 28 posts. Is this a record?

Nonce and shan't?
Old 09-11-2008, 08:20 PM   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbbamI View Post
Bacon! Kayaks!!

Now it is.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:26 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Thanks Nords! I felt like something was missing....
Old 09-11-2008, 08:46 PM   #33
Give me a forum ...

Hitler!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #34

Ah, Nords you bring back fond memories of our little sailboat and the miserly water usage it required. Once a week we would buy a $2 shower and stand under the water for a full 5 minutes savoring washing away the salt water crust. We had a foot pump for the sink fresh water and seawater for the toilet. Ah, the fun times.

How romantic that you and your wife shower together all the time!

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2008, 09:52 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

She's just holding his beer so it wont get wet.
Old 09-11-2008, 09:56 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Hey, in my house that's definitely romance!
Old 09-12-2008, 01:10 AM   #37
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
She's just holding his beer so it wont get wet.
Two comments spring to mind:
"There are some activities that should never be outsourced", and "Is that what the kids are calling it these days?"

Old 09-12-2008, 11:11 PM   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:

That's funny, it's been a while since we had a drought.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:43 AM   #39
Give me a forum ...

After two almost rainless rainy seasons we're approaching one. Several areas have voluntary water reduction conditions in place. The reservoirs around here look like a bomb crater that collected a little water in the bottom. You have to drive about 1/2 mile across the former lake bed to get to the muddy waterfront.

Which by the way is fine by dogs and 3 year olds.

Its kinda cool in a few places where they dammed and flooded former communities, since the water level has dropped enough to expose remnants of the towns like buildings and artifacts.

But it'd be really cool if we got some big rain this year.
Old 09-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, we're way overdue for a real rainy season, straight through from Nov.-late spring; the umbrellas are ready and I won't mind because I don't have to commute in it.