Question for all those at home DIY plumbers

That's it ratto. Your link is for a 3" pipe. But I believe most sewage ejector discharge and vent pipes are 2". So Michael will most likely need one (or two) of those for 2" pipe.

When I plumbed my house, I installed the below floor plumbing and pit, then the pump and outlet piping, slid the lid on, and then glued sections of discharge/vent pipe as I went up. Our pump went out when I was out of town, and DW called a plumber. He cut both the discharge and vent pipe, took off the lid, installed the new pump, put the lid back on, and then reconnected the discharge piping with a threaded union and valve, and the vent pipe with a rubber sleeve. This will make for easy fixes in the future.

Michael's can be fixed in a similar manner - just cut the pipes if they are hard piped (or disconnect at unions), take off the lid, unscrew pipe from pump and slide the pipes off the lid, install the new gaskets, screw discharge pipe back on pump, reinstall the piping through the gaskets, bolt down the lid, and reconnect piping to house piping.

The toughest part of all of this may be finding the gaskets. Here's a photo of my setup.

sewage ejector.jpg

I'd buy a Fernco type coupler, split it and attach it to the pipe with a hose clamp. A little sealer on the bottom edge and split would seal it nicely.
This is what I did. Almost, but not quite, a perfect fit - there was still a tiny bit of space, so I used silicone to seal it. Not sure about the seal because I didn't have room to maneuver, hopefully this will keep things where they belong until the next pump change.

Thanks to all for the helpful hints, tip of the hat to travelover:)

I'm really glad we don't have a basement.
Last year the main sump pump and the backup battery pump both failed. That's when I found out that the ejector pit wouldn't take the runoff in the furnace room until the water went above the lid (1/2 inch), that our furnace room in not flat and the high point is the ejector pit.

Back
Top Bottom