Questions about roof replacement and insurance

I live in Texas. Hail is not rare. I've had my insurance company (same company for all of them) replace five roofs. They ranged in age from a couple of years to close to end of life. All replaced for full cost less deductible.

The last one was the end of life one. One spring, we had a thunderstorm rolling in and I told my wife "Pray for hail". A couple of minutes later she said: "What's that noise?". I said "Hail". It took the adjuster about 10 minutes to walk the roof and approve the claim.

On that one, I did pay extra to get an impact resistant roof. It lowered my premiums by enough to pay for the extra in about 3 years.

-- Doug

My son recently moved to Florida, and quickly learned that his homeowners insurance would be significantly higher than in NY.

The reason given- insurance fraud.

He also learned that he bought a house with older shingle style and that current (architectural?) style shingles would get him a discount.

Hurricanes Ian & Nicole happened, and he decided to get estimates to replace a handful of damaged (3 tab?) shingles.

2 of 3 estimates were to negotiate with the insurance company on his behalf for a complete replacement roof.

The last, a contractor who lived in his community, asked why would you replace his 2016 roof for so few shingles damaged?

He got the job for about $300.

Back
Top Bottom