Question for Boomer Dads

My three kids all have kids. I even have a great grandchild. I rarely see or speak with my oldest son. He’s a bum and I’m fine not seeing him. I see my second son a couple times a month briefly. Would like to see more of him. My youngest, a daughter, were estranged until recently, although she was always in touch with DW. We have been raising her oldest daughter she left with us when she was two. We have a much better relationship now that she’s matured some and settled down.

My married son comes to my house, about 1 hr away, about once every month to help me
do stuff around my house. I go to his house about every other month. He calls me
every weekday afternoon from his car because he hates his commute. We talk for 30-60
mins. He usually calls once on the weekend.

My dad was like that too. Not a farmer, but old-school like that. I kind of dreaded that I'd be stuck on the phone at least 1-hour when he called. Now I would do anything to get one of those calls.

For your information, Boomers are not "old school". Once upon a time, we were the "Pepsi Generation. Coming at you, going strong!"

My husband and I are in our 60's and have very little contact with our 31 year old son. He lives in another state and is single. I occasionally will text him and he occasionally calls us or sends a text- like every 2-3 weeks maybe.

He does work full time plus has a part-time weekend job so he is very busy, but he has always been like this. He had girlfriends in the past - though not right now- which also kept him busy.

We would see him for the holidays and maybe in the summer for a few days when we travel up near where he lives.

We soon will be moving nearby to where he lives, but I don't think too much will change, though I am sure we will see him a little bit more, but not a lot more.

We have two sons, one who lives in Minnesota and the other in New Jersey. We live in Florida. We visited the older son for two weeks this year (he has all five of our grandchildren) and we paid for our younger son and his wife to fly to Minnesota at the same time. We plan to visit both of them next year for 2 weeks each. We video chat with the older son about twice a month. We video chat with the younger son and his wife almost every week. We are a little difficult to visit as we are in SE Asia for 5 months each year.

We have a 31 year old daughter, and we're raising her 8 year old daughter. DHS removed our granddaughter (and her brother) after our daughter tested positive for drugs and because of the unsavory characters in her life. She certainly wasn't raised this way.

We talk about once per week, and it's usually when she's wanting something. Her mother only talks with her by text unless absolutely necessary.

We no longer furnish her any spending money and she's on ankle express. We really just furnish her healthcare and that's about it.

Have one son and talk to him regularly over the phone/text etc.. We live close but try not to interfere with his life and all the things he is involved in. We also see him or get to do a lunch when every we feel like we need to see him.

Interesting question. I'm an extreme introvert, so my sister would have to remind me to call the parental units once or twice a month when I was in undergrad (she transferred to the same school). I figured I was fine, and they should assume that, and I hated phone conversations (still do); I'm more comfortable with face to face, since you get other cues than just dialogue.

The youngest takes a bit after me, so we talk to him a couple times a month and see him 4-5 times a year, on holidays and we drive up to Seattle at least 2-3 times a year. The oldest, with the grandkids, is more in touch, and he's an extrovert.

The irony is that both of my parents, while very close to their parents, moved away after undergrad and only saw them 1-4 times a year. I moved across the country to the West Coast to grad school, then ironically was hired in Texas after grad school; the parental units retired below Ft. Worth to a town where great granddad lived, so we saw them more often. DW moved across the country from Philly to the West Coast and saw her mother at most once a year, but talked to her once a month or so on the phone.

Dad was a little on the introvert scale, though. I inhaled the independence and raised our two sons that way, although we are close, but not in terms of talking 2-3 times a week. Younger parents with the cell phone generation, I think , will be different, just because of the new norms, which probably is a good thing; cell phones have revolutionized communication patterns for both better and worse.

I'm comfortable with not saying anything if you don't have anything to say, but I realize that that is not a norm; I'm very comfortable with listening to whomever and can do that all day. I blame the Swede-Finns on my Mom's side (although the Swedes are 10x more communicative than the Finns). I guess I got all the Finn genes. I think there is a gap between perceptions between introverts and extroverts, but my twin (fraternal) was an extrovert, so I recognized the difference very early (and he would too; he would tell me, hey I need to tell you this, if it was really important to him, so I was lucky to know from an early age the social differences. If I feel my sons need to talk to me, I will call them.)

Joke: How do you know you're dating an extroverted Finn?
Answer: He looks at your shoes when he's talking to you.

Last edited:
You’re probably right. Nobody talks about having little or no contact with their kids. It definitely happens a lot. I’m in my 40s and I know for a fact that some of us barely see or speak with our parents

The typical excuse is that they’re too far away and/or too busy

I’m a boomer mom married 46 years, DH has severe copd. I took care of my parents for 9 years until my mother had to go to assisted living and dad passed away, ages 96 and 90 this past summer. Our son , or should I saying daughter-in-law freaked over our health issues and they moved 1300 miles away with 2 youngsters. They don’t want to hear about our lives so although I remember them on birthdays and holidays we get nothing in return. It’s been almost 4 years now, I’ve talked to others my age whose kids ran off so I’m not alone with that, not happy but someday they’ll be like us and will get it. So to those of you with regular visits and chats with your children you are blessed.

Last edited:
I am 72 so a very early Baby boomer . I have a daughter who lives in New York while I live in Florida . We talk on the phone constantly and visit twice a year. When she was younger before marriage and grand kids we spent a lot of time together . We even traveled together . Now she is so busy with my two grandsons and her husband that I am thankful we see each other twice a year for a week.

Would like to know how often you baby boomer dads (around 70yo) see or talk to your adult children. If you have grandkids, I'm guessing it would be more often. But I'd especially like to know how often you see your childless adult children. Also, do you feel satisfied with this frequency -- or do you wish it was more or less often?

No grandkids and the kids live thousands of miles away, so infrequently.

I'm 73, with a disinherited daughter in Oregon, schizophrenic son in Arizona, & oldest son about 5 miles away. At least I have one kid to talk with! Three grandkids, who I hear from on holidays.

I'm a child of boomer parents. We probably talk on the phone a couple of times a year and usually try to visit every year (but often just for a few hour or overnight as a stopover on another trip. I don't have any issue with my parents but I don't care for the phone much and don't really have much to talk about. I can't imagine talking to anyone on the phone everyday - I don't have that much to say.

If they have an issue with their computers or need help researching something they will text or email and we'll communicate that way. And we also follow each other on Facebook for vacation photos and things like that.

I have read all of these posts with interest. I am a boomer mom, not dad, but wanted to respond.

My folks live close by and I try to see them every other day as my Dad has dementia. I have siblings in town and everyone pitches in.

My stepson and his family live about 5 hours away and we try to visit in person 3-4 times a year, taking turns. We talk and text in between. One granddaughter there. We will visit them soon and I am excited to go.

My son, DIL, and three grandkids live about a mile away. The grandkids are older now, so some of that visiting has tapered off. I talk to them all several times a week and we try to visit in person once a week or so. Again, this has tapered off as my grandkids have grown. The oldest is now 19 and in college.

I am the childless son of a remarried boomer dad. He lives 10 miles away and I see him a couple of times a week. But for years, we only kept touch once a week by phone (I lived on the other side of the world).

My dad is not big on long conversations (though he is getting better at it). When I see him, it is usually to help around the estate. Today we picked fruits and made cider for example. But we might tend the garden, fell trees, split wood, cut hay, etc...

Last edited:
Interesting and sad to read some of the responses.

I’m 64. Mom lives about 8 miles away, she’s 87. I see her 2 or 3 times a week. Usually take her to lunch once a week. Wonderful lady.

Daughter 33, SIL and our only 2 grandkids live in the court behind us. She’s a nurse but only works the weekends. So, I’m over there all the time. Our back yards touch in the corner. I take the kids to our community park/playground most every day. There is a woods and the golf course we live on. They love walking through the little wooded area. We also walkover many evenings a week enjoying the fire pit and a glass or three of Cabernet. Daughter has always been daddy’s girl. All through college we would take long weekend trips down to Florida just to hang out.

Our son is 35, single but getting serious with a great girl.....finally! He lives on the other side of the city. Very independent, calls every Sunday evening and announces..”This is your official Sunday call”. When there is a family event our daughter is excited for it, he asks, “how long do I have to stay at this thing?” They are opposites.

My sister lives 3 miles away and my brother and his family live about 20 minutes away. We all text daily, laugh, send funny pics. Everyone meets at least once a month for a group dinner....because we want to.

We also have 3 condos in Florida. Sister lives in the same country club community as our mom. Wife and I are about 3 miles from them.

Yeah, close family. Lucky.

Interesting and sad to read some of the responses.

I’m 64. Mom lives about 8 miles away, she’s 87. I see her 2 or 3 times a week. Usually take her to lunch once a week. Wonderful lady.

Daughter 33, SIL and our only 2 grandkids live in the court behind us. She’s a nurse but only works the weekends. So, I’m over there all the time. Our back yards touch in the corner. I take the kids to our community park/playground most every day. There is a woods and the golf course we live on. They love walking through the little wooded area. We also walkover many evenings a week enjoying the fire pit and a glass or three of Cabernet. Daughter has always been daddy’s girl. All through college we would take long weekend trips down to Florida just to hang out.

Our son is 35, single but getting serious with a great girl.....finally! He lives on the other side of the city. Very independent, calls every Sunday evening and announces..”This is your official Sunday call”. When there is a family event our daughter is excited for it, he asks, “how long do I have to stay at this thing?” They are opposites.

My sister lives 3 miles away and my brother and his family live about 20 minutes away. We all text daily, laugh, send funny pics. Everyone meets at least once a month for a group dinner....because we want to.

We also have 3 condos in Florida. Sister lives in the same country club community as our mom. Wife and I are about 3 miles from them.

Yeah, close family. Lucky.

It sounds lovely.. But I do have to poke a little bit and your comment of "close family". Family can be close in different ways. We live rural and have a few families where the kids all stayed local. We also have families like mine where the kids struck out on their own and went to the "big city" or even further and made wonderful lives for themselves.

I often hear these stay close families say and others comment about them " we are such a close family" or "we see each other every day because we are such a close family". I feel close to my family too...

You can see your family every day and not be close or not see them as often and still be close.

There are many definitions of family and close family. Don't be sad about other people's family dynamics. We have to work with the family we have...

I said we are a very close family. Meaning we do a lot of things together we have a lot of gatherings, we care about each other, that type of thing. If it was the meaning you are talking about I would’ve said ....... we live close to each other

Back
Top Bottom