Question for kindle owners

MichaelB

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Site Team
My daughter just gave me one as a gift. A kindle wi-fi. (great gift). I don't use a wireless connection at home and plan to upgrade it to the 3G model. When looking at the amazon web site I saw the DX unit with the 9.7" screen and am now considering the larger screen.

Does anyone have the larger screen? Does anyone have the 6" screen and feel a larger screen would be of benefit? I'm just looking for feedback or comments on the screen size.

My daughter just gave me one as a gift. A kindle wi-fi. (great gift). I don't use a wireless connection at home and plan to upgrade it to the 3G model. When looking at the amazon web site I saw the DX unit with the 9.7" screen and am now considering the larger screen.

Does anyone have the larger screen? Does anyone have the 6" screen and feel a larger screen would be of benefit? I'm just looking for feedback or comments on the screen size.

DW bought me the 9.7" 3G model for my birthday. I love it. It's substantial enough that it feels like a real book (she splurged and included the leather cover..) and the electronic ink clarity is very good. Battery life is outstanding if I remember to turn the wireless off, still good if I don't. The functions are intuitive, the downloads are very fast (couple of seconds) and the built-in web browser is functional but slow (not to mention free)

I am a usually a Scrooge when it comes to a lot of this technology, (ie IPOD, smart phones, etc) but I think Amazon hit it out of the park with this product. I've been buying electronic books since I received it in July; haven't purchased a single printed book since.

Negatives? I can't read during take-offs and landings when "all electronic devices must be switched off" The smaller one is a bit more compact if you only read books and travel a lot- but the bigger screen is nice for newspapers, etc.

I have both, but I prefer the smaller one and almost never use the larger one. I like the smaller Kindle 3 (= "latest generation Kindle") because it is lighter to hold, and smaller so I can just tuck it in my purse. I read on my Kindle 3 every night.

On the other hand, the larger one (Graphite DX Kindle) is really necessary if you plan to read PDF's without converting them first.

I have both, but I prefer the smaller one and almost never use the larger one. I like the smaller Kindle 3 (= "latest generation Kindle") because it is lighter to hold, and smaller so I can just tuck it in my purse. I read on my Kindle 3 every night.

On the other hand, the larger one (Graphite DX Kindle) is really necessary if you plan to read PDF's without converting them first.

Good points. I have been wanting the DX since they came out but did not want to pay the price for it. I already got hit with the "early adopter's tax" when I bought the K1 both hubby and I still have. We pretty much read books cover to cover and don't read PDFs so upgrading would not be worth it for us.

WesternSkies had a good point about newspapers. The DX would be a lot easier if you subscribe to any Kindle newspapers or magazines, too.

Also, if you read books with a lot of photos or illustrations the DX would be better. I really don't.

Actually I don't often read anything but normal books with no pictures (just plain text), and I thought the DX would be better for that. But really it turned out that it makes no difference to me.

I have the Kindle 3 (6" screen) and think it is about the right size for reading books. I haven't experienced the DX but would think it may be uncomfortable to use for long periods of time and less travel friendly. I have had mine for about 6 weeks and have read approx 15 books. I am glad that I decided to buy one -- I read a lot but wasn't sure I would like an E-reader as well as a book.

Thanks for the responses - very helpful. My expected reading will be books along with newspaper & magazine and PDFs. The weight is a potential issue but I probably will use a stand to hold it, or lay it flat on a tabletop, so I'm going to get the DX.

I am going to look for a stand before I buy, but there seems to be a large variety and I would guess the DX can use iPad stands as well.

I am looking forward to this. Reading books was my primary pastime for much of my life but has declined over the past decade, and I'm certain the e-reader will change this.

I've been surprised that used Kindles don't sell at much of a discount. With a new one going for $139, I'd expect used ones for around $70. However, most are more than $100. Inexplicably, some on eBay sell for more than the new ones.

UsedKindles.jpg

But I know that someday they'll show up at garage sales for $4.

I've been surprised that used Kindles don't sell at much of a discount. With a new one going for $139, I'd expect used ones for around $70. However, most are more than $100. Inexplicably, some on eBay sell for more than the new ones.

View attachment 10600

But I know that someday they'll show up at garage sales for $4.

I think the reason the older Kindles are holding their value is that the older device still does what it was designed to do. It is one of the reasons that hubby and I still use the K1 and have not bothered to purchase a newer device. Sure the refinements are nice but they really don't make that much of a difference.

I think the reason the older Kindles are holding their value is that the older device still does what it was designed to do. It is one of the reasons that hubby and I still use the K1 and have not bothered to purchase a newer device. Sure the refinements are nice but they really don't make that much of a difference.

I wonder if another reason some of the used readers on e-bay are going for high prices is that they may be loaded with a good number of books from the previous owner. When I was shopping for my e-reader, I definitely saw some where the purchase included the books that were already on it. Granted - all that might get messed up after you dock it / register it... but if you managed to find one that was pre-loaded with some of your favorite authors that would definitely have some value.

Charlotte

Back
Top Bottom