Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-28-2008, 09:39 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Thanks everyone.....I am opting to do nothing.....sometimes, that is the best thing to do. One of my friends had me do an exercise where I pretended I was on my death bed.....would this review be such a big thing that I would carry it with me till the end? And the answer is no!

I can see why there may be some feeling on his part that I am not passionate....which means that being an executive assistant for the rest of my life is really not my life's goal.....which means he will lose me at some point.....which may make him feel threatened.

The funny thing is that him and his wife have bought one of my paintings and he has made comments in passing that he will need to hold on to that when I become famous.
I can see that as a director, he has to play the corporate game and I have to also because I support him....but I sometimes wonder how the hell I got into this world!
I am so glad to get all this advice from all different perspectives!

Thanks Rich for the compliment.....I haven't had a chance to maintain my pictures at Saatchi.com but I have worked on a couple of new paintings....the one below is finished....let me know what you think.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Reflection.jpg (350.3 KB, 8 views)

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-28-2008, 09:45 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by donheff View Post
Edward Deming (father of TQM - total quality management) called performance appraisals one of the "seven deadly sins" of management. He was right about that. ...........
Excellent point - I was going to add this myself. When Megacorp was on a Deming kick, I found it interesting that they cherry picked his advice. Everyone used to write their own PRs, anyway, to save the boss the "trouble". So it was all a stressful and time consuming charade. When I gave my direct reports their PRs, I told them this, but tried to give them useful advice to further their careers.

My advice to the OP is ignore the PR itself, but sniff around and find out what is really going on.

Old 01-28-2008, 09:49 AM   #23
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Thanks Rich for the compliment.....I haven't had a chance to maintain my pictures at Saatchi.com but I have worked on a couple of new paintings....the one below is finished....let me know what you think.
I think it's gorgeous and sensuous. Is it oil?

You need to find the world's best agent because to my totally unsophisticated eyes, you have amazing talent.

As if you didn't know..If the above message contains medical content, it's NOT intended as advice, and may not be accurate, applicable or sufficient. Don't rely on it for any purpose. Consult your own doctor for all medical advice.
Rich_by_the_Bay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 09:52 AM   #24
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post

My favorite is "My supply officer views my ship as his personal recreational vehicle for hauling his alcoholic thirst and his genitals from one liberty port to the next".
Old 01-28-2008, 10:00 AM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Heres your translation from a professional writer of performance reviews.

Someone at a peer or higher level than your boss made a complaint related to these two situations. My bet is the person you were "territorial" with stabbed you in the back complained to their boss, who talked to your boss about this "deficiency". And then some follow on comment (possibly related) was that you arent that excited about the job either.

When faced with this peer/superior type of "input", a manager may choose to cow down and say they'll put it on your review to calm the possible political threat to them of not doing so, or they can stick up for you and put themselves at risk. Should they not respond, its possible that the peer/superior plaintiff would then complain to your managers boss that your manager is unresponsive to constructive input on their subordinates shortcomings.

So what you've got is a manager that doesnt support you, the manager has a peer/superior that WILL support their people when they whine make constructive input about peers, and a peer that you've pissed off that will use the "political" backchannels to make their point with you.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 10:03 AM   #26

Thanks Rich....it is oil.
Old 01-28-2008, 10:08 AM   #27

cfb.....I didn't even think of that.....she did have her review right before me....
Old 01-28-2008, 11:16 AM   #28

Quote:
There is a lot of downsizing that is going to happen this year in the company and I don't think I should have to share my job.
One thing that I have learned on this board about budgets getting cut, is that is always best to be the first out the door...
Old 01-28-2008, 05:16 PM   #29

Off topic - another good one: "His military bearing was noteworthy." Translation - not good!

CFB - you are so right - where I work we have 360 reviews - one year my boss had some comment about how I sometimes I was too direct in my communicaton- I laughed and said to him, I've been this type of communicator since I was 2 and I wasn't going to change now! Frankly, I've gotten some of the highest bonuses and raises, so I'm not too concerned.

Citrine - I sense you are young - look at this as an experience to add to more experiences - you're not looking to make this your end destination, so a calm demeanor will work best. As for the backstabbing - yes, that will happen -you can decide whether or not to let those people know you know what is going. Sometimes a word to the wise is sufficient, i.e. you're not stupid and if they do it again, you will call them on it publicly.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #30
Recycles dryer sheets

FYI - I still chuckle every time I read this thread.

Many years ago I had a boss who said my biggest problem was I "wanted a rock to stand on and say this is my rock and I own it". I laughed and said "Yes....is that a problem?" He gave me my best appraisals and raises.

Whenever someone applies for a job in my area, I read their last few appraisals. If I read someone was "territorial", I would probably run out and hire them - because to me it would mean they cared about their work and wanted to be sure the job done well. I wish I had more territorial people.

Territorial doesn't have to be bad. Consider it a back-handed compliment.
Old 01-28-2008, 07:41 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

I've seen some amazingly good work habits turned into development areas, often to the great confusion of the employee.

And salary review time is no time for surprises. I always told people that if they learned anything new or found anything I said to be surprising, then I had failed to do my job properly for the prior 364 days. Its called a "review" for a reason. Most companies oughta simply call them "TA DA!" because they're usually unexpected and a surprise.
Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful. Just another form of "buy low, sell high" for those who have trouble with things. This rule is not universal. Do not buy a 1973 Pinto because everyone else is afraid of it.
cute fuzzy bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 09:21 AM   #32

Deserat: I am taking it one day at a time and killing them with kindness! I am also trying to learn how to be personable, but not too personal which is really hard.
I am the type of person who does not play games....really don't know how. I wear my heart on my sleeve and my emotions on my face.....I don't know how to be anything else. I don't understand the backstabbing that goes on in the workplace and part of me does not want to acknowledge that that may have happened.

KM....I definitely identify with the "my rock". Every job that I have ever done, I have learned it through and through....and I am proud of the work that I do. I am very focused on the end goal and will hand hold a project until it is done....I follow through on the follow through.....I have never had this be a "problem" before!

cfb.....I love the "TA DA!".....I have had many of those in this company in another department where I finally had to tell the manager that if I am so lacking....then why do I have all of the big projects? They did not have an answer for me and I looked for another job.....and here I am!

I am working on my plan....coming up with a one year and two year.....I am sure that God will take me where I need to go.
Old 01-29-2008, 10:10 AM   #33

Quote:
Deserat: I am taking it one day at a time and killing them with kindness! I am also trying to learn how to be personable, but not too personal which is really hard.
I am the type of person who does not play games....really don't know how. I wear my heart on my sleeve and my emotions on my face.....I don't know how to be anything else. I don't understand the backstabbing that goes on in the workplace and part of me does not want to acknowledge that that may have happened.

KM....I definitely identify with the "my rock". Every job that I have ever done, I have learned it through and through....and I am proud of the work that I do. I am very focused on the end goal and will hand hold a project until it is done....I follow through on the follow through.....I have never had this be a "problem" before!

cfb.....I love the "TA DA!".....I have had many of those in this company in another department where I finally had to tell the manager that if I am so lacking....then why do I have all of the big projects? They did not have an answer for me and I looked for another job.....and here I am!

I am working on my plan....coming up with a one year and two year.....I am sure that God will take me where I need to go.
Citrine, that is a beautiful painting.

Continue killing those poor devils with kindness but also confront them in a controlled nice matter when the need arises. This will let them know that you know what is going on and that they need to cease whatever inappropriate behaviors they are employing.

Hey, they would not be giving you the big projects if you were not doing your job. I guess it would stand to reason that if they want a job done right and they want it done on time they come to you. That says alot.

Continue following your dreams.

You are right that GOD will take you where you need to go.

GOD BLESS
Seek peace, and pursue it. - Psalms 34:14
Be kind to unkind people - they need it the most - by Ashleigh Brilliant.
Wags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 09:39 PM   #34

UPDATE...

Well after all that grief and stuff.....he announced yesterday that he is leaving for another job in another part of the department.
So....I am really not going to b busy at work anymore just supporting one person....
God, I am hoping, wishing, and praying for a package so I can move to plan B!
Old 02-26-2008, 10:09 PM   #35

I would keep the performance review in a safe non work place. You might have grounds for a lawsuit if RIFFED or other. My wife is in HR and always consults her clients to make sure performance reviews are accurate.

If it's a stellar review and you get RIFfed or fired-lawsuit for sure
If it's a bad review to avoid giving a raise to a good employee- possible law suit

She also advises to keep reviews consistent from employee to employee. If you are rated on passion in your work and no one else is- lawsuit.
If someone else is rated on attitude and no one else is- lawsuit.

The reason is there are discrimination laws and things to extent of consistency which can be red flags for certain types of audits. My wife has the HR degree and experience- I'd have to ask her more.
Old 02-26-2008, 10:31 PM   #36

jIMOh:

I agree with the first half of your post, but not the second half.

So, let me get this straight. If we're not all cast from the same mold, then a lawsuit should be filed?

-CC
Old 02-27-2008, 07:16 AM   #37
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I had my year end review last week.....bascially, my boss is happy with my work and I am doing great. He then brought up two points which floored me:

1) I am too "territorial" with my job.
2) He said that I am not passionate about my job like I am about my art.

I don't trust him....and if I cannot trust someone, I cannot respect them at all.

Any advice?
sounds like the fox (proj coord) is loose in the henhouse, and the farmer (directors) is in the lower forty and not watching.

territorial, schmeritorial. sounds to me like you know your job functions and are doing them well, hence the good review. and someone is encroaching. do you by any chance have a better salary/position than the proj coord?

passionate? what does he expect? i'm gritting my teeth along with you.

trust is a cast-iron subject with me too.
Old 02-27-2008, 06:12 PM   #38

Freebird et all:

This saga has no end in sihgt! The female director started a big bruhaha with me yesterday regarding a shipment of boxes...I almost lost my composure and started to see red, I was so angry. There was a lack of communication on her part and she was trying to convince me that I was wrong. This also came upon the heels of her losing some paperwork for her meeting....work that I had printed out and given her last week. There is always an altercation started by her when the exec director is not in the office....he had left yesterday for a meeting.
I am handling this in a professional manner....I have a meeting with my doctor tomorrow night, I talked to my therapist today. I cannot afford to participate in this power play....too much at stake for me. It was suggested that I remove myself from this situation until things get a bit more stable at work.
I take a lot of pride in my work and I do it very well. I do have a better title/position than the proj. coord.....I have been watching her lately and it does seem that she likes to start trouble with innocent comments.
I cannot stand this corporate crap!
Old 02-27-2008, 06:30 PM   #39
Give me a forum ...

i am sorry to hear you are getting treated so badly. been there, done that, on the receiving end. but you don't sound like any sort of victim to me. good! sounds like you are handling this as best as you can.

i had a predator, button pusher type in my face for the last 5 years of my career. my best tactic was to smile, not in a friendly way, but not deviously either, and disarm her with something like..."i can see your point" or "you're right. why don't you document your idea in an email to the director(s) immediately".

now this may sound like KA, but it served to keep my predator off balance. people like this push your buttons to get a reaction. don't give the reaction they want to them. makes 'em nutz! LOL

and if the idea is a bad one, guess who gets the credit for it? a little negative visibility goes along way to shut this type right down. and you come out smelling like a rose.

a thought...ever play tug of war as a child? each side pulls on the rope as hard as they can, and nobody budges? well, if your side agrees ahead of time to let go for just a quick instant, the other side loses their footing and falls backward. that's when your side pulls with all their might and wins. give this one some slack rope.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:57 PM   #40

I have tried that...letting go and walking away....I have been told that I am rude and not a team player. I have tried to be short and sweet in my conversations....tried to be accomodating and going above and beyond....one thing sets her off and done. We usually have blow up a month....and I am getting sick of it. I am also getting nervous that now with the exec director gone, she will start acting as if she is the one.
I pray, say the serenity prayer, smoke cigs, and call me sponser to get through situations with her.....they work for a little while until the next episode.
What scares me is that yesterday, I just saw red and could picture myself just ramming her head through the wall.....and that really shook me up....haven't felt like that in a LONG time.