Question....Performance Review at Work

:rant:cfb.....I didn't even think of that.....she did have her review right before me....

There is a lot of downsizing that is going to happen this year in the company and I don't think I should have to share my job.
One thing that I have learned on this board about budgets getting cut, is that is always best to be the first out the door...:cool:

Off topic - another good one: "His military bearing was noteworthy." Translation - not good!

CFB - you are so right - where I work we have 360 reviews - one year my boss had some comment about how I sometimes I was too direct in my communicaton- I laughed and said to him, I've been this type of communicator since I was 2 and I wasn't going to change now! Frankly, I've gotten some of the highest bonuses and raises, so I'm not too concerned.

Citrine - I sense you are young - look at this as an experience to add to more experiences - you're not looking to make this your end destination, so a calm demeanor will work best. As for the backstabbing - yes, that will happen -you can decide whether or not to let those people know you know what is going. Sometimes a word to the wise is sufficient, i.e. you're not stupid and if they do it again, you will call them on it publicly.

FYI - I still chuckle every time I read this thread.

Many years ago I had a boss who said my biggest problem was I "wanted a rock to stand on and say this is my rock and I own it". I laughed and said "Yes....is that a problem?" He gave me my best appraisals and raises.

Whenever someone applies for a job in my area, I read their last few appraisals. If I read someone was "territorial", I would probably run out and hire them - because to me it would mean they cared about their work and wanted to be sure the job done well. I wish I had more territorial people.

Territorial doesn't have to be bad. Consider it a back-handed compliment.

I've seen some amazingly good work habits turned into development areas, often to the great confusion of the employee.

And salary review time is no time for surprises. I always told people that if they learned anything new or found anything I said to be surprising, then I had failed to do my job properly for the prior 364 days. Its called a "review" for a reason. Most companies oughta simply call them "TA DA!" because they're usually unexpected and a surprise.

Deserat: I am taking it one day at a time and killing them with kindness! I am also trying to learn how to be personable, but not too personal which is really hard.
I am the type of person who does not play games....really don't know how. I wear my heart on my sleeve and my emotions on my face.....I don't know how to be anything else. I don't understand the backstabbing that goes on in the workplace and part of me does not want to acknowledge that that may have happened.

KM....I definitely identify with the "my rock". Every job that I have ever done, I have learned it through and through....and I am proud of the work that I do. I am very focused on the end goal and will hand hold a project until it is done....I follow through on the follow through.....I have never had this be a "problem" before!

cfb.....I love the "TA DA!".....I have had many of those in this company in another department where I finally had to tell the manager that if I am so lacking....then why do I have all of the big projects? They did not have an answer for me and I looked for another job.....and here I am!

I am working on my plan....coming up with a one year and two year.....I am sure that God will take me where I need to go.

Deserat: I am taking it one day at a time and killing them with kindness! I am also trying to learn how to be personable, but not too personal which is really hard.
I am the type of person who does not play games....really don't know how. I wear my heart on my sleeve and my emotions on my face.....I don't know how to be anything else. I don't understand the backstabbing that goes on in the workplace and part of me does not want to acknowledge that that may have happened.

KM....I definitely identify with the "my rock". Every job that I have ever done, I have learned it through and through....and I am proud of the work that I do. I am very focused on the end goal and will hand hold a project until it is done....I follow through on the follow through.....I have never had this be a "problem" before!

cfb.....I love the "TA DA!".....I have had many of those in this company in another department where I finally had to tell the manager that if I am so lacking....then why do I have all of the big projects? They did not have an answer for me and I looked for another job.....and here I am!

I am working on my plan....coming up with a one year and two year.....I am sure that God will take me where I need to go.

Citrine, that is a beautiful painting.

Continue killing those poor devils with kindness but also confront them in a controlled nice matter when the need arises. This will let them know that you know what is going on and that they need to cease whatever inappropriate behaviors they are employing.

Hey, they would not be giving you the big projects if you were not doing your job. I guess it would stand to reason that if they want a job done right and they want it done on time they come to you. That says alot.

Continue following your dreams.

You are right that GOD will take you where you need to go.

GOD BLESS:angel:

UPDATE...

Well after all that grief and stuff.....he announced yesterday that he is leaving for another job in another part of the department.
So....I am really not going to b busy at work anymore just supporting one person....
God, I am hoping, wishing, and praying for a package so I can move to plan B!

I would keep the performance review in a safe non work place. You might have grounds for a lawsuit if RIFFED or other. My wife is in HR and always consults her clients to make sure performance reviews are accurate.

If it's a stellar review and you get RIFfed or fired-lawsuit for sure
If it's a bad review to avoid giving a raise to a good employee- possible law suit

She also advises to keep reviews consistent from employee to employee. If you are rated on passion in your work and no one else is- lawsuit.
If someone else is rated on attitude and no one else is- lawsuit.

The reason is there are discrimination laws and things to extent of consistency which can be red flags for certain types of audits. My wife has the HR degree and experience- I'd have to ask her more.

jIMOh:

I agree with the first half of your post, but not the second half.

So, let me get this straight. If we're not all cast from the same mold, then a lawsuit should be filed?

-CC

I had my year end review last week.....bascially, my boss is happy with my work and I am doing great. He then brought up two points which floored me:

1) I am too "territorial" with my job.
2) He said that I am not passionate about my job like I am about my art.

I don't trust him....and if I cannot trust someone, I cannot respect them at all.

Any advice?
sounds like the fox (proj coord) is loose in the henhouse, and the farmer (directors) is in the lower forty and not watching.

territorial, schmeritorial. sounds to me like you know your job functions and are doing them well, hence the good review. and someone is encroaching. do you by any chance have a better salary/position than the proj coord?

passionate? what does he expect? i'm gritting my teeth along with you.

trust is a cast-iron subject with me too.

Freebird et all:

This saga has no end in sihgt! The female director started a big bruhaha with me yesterday regarding a shipment of boxes...I almost lost my composure and started to see red, I was so angry. There was a lack of communication on her part and she was trying to convince me that I was wrong. This also came upon the heels of her losing some paperwork for her meeting....work that I had printed out and given her last week. There is always an altercation started by her when the exec director is not in the office....he had left yesterday for a meeting.
I am handling this in a professional manner....I have a meeting with my doctor tomorrow night, I talked to my therapist today. I cannot afford to participate in this power play....too much at stake for me. It was suggested that I remove myself from this situation until things get a bit more stable at work.
I take a lot of pride in my work and I do it very well. I do have a better title/position than the proj. coord.....I have been watching her lately and it does seem that she likes to start trouble with innocent comments.
I cannot stand this corporate crap!

i am sorry to hear you are getting treated so badly. been there, done that, on the receiving end. but you don't sound like any sort of victim to me. good! sounds like you are handling this as best as you can.

i had a predator, button pusher type in my face for the last 5 years of my career. my best tactic was to smile, not in a friendly way, but not deviously either, and disarm her with something like..."i can see your point" or "you're right. why don't you document your idea in an email to the director(s) immediately".

now this may sound like KA, but it served to keep my predator off balance. people like this push your buttons to get a reaction. don't give the reaction they want to them. makes 'em nutz! LOL

and if the idea is a bad one, guess who gets the credit for it? a little negative visibility goes along way to shut this type right down. and you come out smelling like a rose.

a thought...ever play tug of war as a child? each side pulls on the rope as hard as they can, and nobody budges? well, if your side agrees ahead of time to let go for just a quick instant, the other side loses their footing and falls backward. that's when your side pulls with all their might and wins. give this one some slack rope.

I have tried that...letting go and walking away....I have been told that I am rude and not a team player. I have tried to be short and sweet in my conversations....tried to be accomodating and going above and beyond....one thing sets her off and done. We usually have blow up a month....and I am getting sick of it. I am also getting nervous that now with the exec director gone, she will start acting as if she is the one.
I pray, say the serenity prayer, smoke cigs, and call me sponser to get through situations with her.....they work for a little while until the next episode.
What scares me is that yesterday, I just saw red and could picture myself just ramming her head through the wall.....and that really shook me up....haven't felt like that in a LONG time.

Citrine, I was in a job like that. Horrible, life-sucking drama. Seriously, find a way out. Focus your energy on your plan.

Asheville is beautiful and there are some wonderful places to eat and hike! ;) And lots of other artists! Life is too short for this stuff!

I had a boss tell me in a review once that I "ran down hallways looking for locked doors". Say what? Boy, was I glad to hear the bas!@%$ went bankrupt! I picked up cigarette smoking again at that job, after not smoking for seven years! Some workplaces are just evil.

I am so sorry you are going through this!

Absolutely develop and work a plan to get away from this manager, but don't breathe a word to anyone. Start networking for another position. It isn't good form to slam your manager, it is ok to say you are looking for an opportunity to better utilize your skills. If your manager is a nut case others will know it and those who don't know wouldn't believe you - keep your chin up and smile. Work on getting out of there, to a place where your manager would not go.

As I have advised others planning to leave, keep all your personal things at home, or at least a copy at home. Don't remove confidential business records, just things that pertain to you and that illustrate your strengths.

I have tried that...letting go and walking away....I have been told that I am rude and not a team player. I have tried to be short and sweet in my conversations....tried to be accomodating and going above and beyond....one thing sets her off and done. We usually have blow up a month....and I am getting sick of it. I am also getting nervous that now with the exec director gone, she will start acting as if she is the one.
I pray, say the serenity prayer, smoke cigs, and call me sponser to get through situations with her.....they work for a little while until the next episode.
What scares me is that yesterday, I just saw red and could picture myself just ramming her head through the wall.....and that really shook me up....haven't felt like that in a LONG time.
i hear ya loud and clear. i didn't particularly mean you had to be accomodating or KA, just beat 'em at their own game. let me explain...from the outside of the aquarium, it looks like this person is going out of her way to make you look bad. and to make herself look good to mgmt. that's a given. this game i understand from my own experience (career and MIL from Hades).
the trick is to pave the way for her to make herself look bad (without your direct help) to mgmt, hence encourage her to submit all her bad ideas to mgmt and let her run with the rope.
devious? you betcha. but it places YOUR hands on YOUR steering wheel and you can have a secret chuckle to yourself.
we can never control how people act, but we can control how we react to them. hang in there and definitely look for greener pastures. it's easy to play armchair quarterback. i hope my comments give you a different perspective...the stress you are obviously under is bad news.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom