Quirky movies that weren't popular

F4mandolin

Full time employment: Posting here.
Just getting a little further into downsizing and one of the next steps is to get rid of a bunch of DVD's....and then I had a side thought about movies that weren't popular....but I like them. They all have to go....so I am likely selling them for $1 to a local store if they will take them. All movies MUST have a happy ending.
1. Blackball- movie about lawn bowls...my kind of movie
2. Blackbeards ghost- yep, the old one with Dean Jones. Don't know why I like it....maybe S Pleshette is just too cute....damned if I know.
3. Bread and Tulips- subtitle....Italian. Accordian music involved.
4. Bucharoo Banzai
5. Bull Durham
6. Donovans Reef- with a couple of beers this goes down well.
7. Galaxy Quest
8. Gross Pointe Blank
9. I'll be there. Charlotte Church....Craig Ferguson....just a bad movie that I like.
10. All the Librarian series
11. Mystery Alaska. Russell Crowe....snow....hockey....
12. Quigley down Under. Don't really know why I like this....but..I do.
13. Road House - Patrick Swayze...beating people up...
14. Silverado- I just want the bar.....
15. Tin Man- strange Wizard of Oz 3 part show
16. StarDust- still one of my fav movies ever. Pirates...gay pirates(Robert De Niro)...Clare Danes....happy ending....actually....I think I might call this my favorite movie ever.....until I change my mind.

There are other bad movies on my shelves.....but they are even bad movies by MY standards. "Cannibal Women in The Avocado Jungle of Death" comes to mind. But.....that movie sure rolls off your tongue

I just can't count movies like The Maltese Falcon......Sound of Music etc....

F4
Be careful. Some of these quirky titles may be hard to remember and find again. Decluttering is a great thing to do, but leave yourself a few anchors. When you are older and some memory fades, leave some physical remnants to cling to. Galaxy Quest may be an exception to this rule :)
Keep the quirky ones close. I let my text Vonnegut collection get away from me and it now becomes difficult to replace.
The collection that you shared is nice...thanks for a few memories..though Galaxy Quest may not be my best memory :)

Office Space. Has become a cult classic.
No Way Out. Breaks every plot rule in the book.
Hopscotch. Underrated Walter Matthau/Glenda Jackson movie

The Straight Story

I have to find this one somewhere and buy it, before somebody throws out the last copy. This is a wonderful movie about a retired combine operator, in the Midwest, who drives his lawnmower hundreds of miles to his brother's house, to reconcile with him before either of them dies.

Yeah, it may sound maudlin, but it's an absolute delight: a simple tale of values clarification without schmaltz. I can't see an ad for "Swisher Sweets" without thinking of "Straight" himself, riding his lawnmower through towns and cities, over hill and dale.

:)

I have to find this one somewhere and buy it, before somebody throws out the last copy. This is a wonderful movie about a retired combine operator, in the Midwest, who drives his lawnmower hundreds of miles to his brother's house, to reconcile with him before either of them dies.

Yeah, it may sound maudlin, but it's an absolute delight: a simple tale of values clarification without schmaltz. I can't see an ad for "Swisher Sweets" without thinking of "Straight" himself, riding his lawnmower through towns and cities, over hill and dale.

That was a great movie. Another offbeat favorite of mine is Second Hand Lions with Robert Duval and Michael Caine.

Office Space. Has become a cult classic.
Great movie, especially for ER types!!

An entire engineering division at my MegaCorp was invited to an all-hands meeting and a free movie screening. Well, the secretary to the VP who was in charge of the selection chose Office Space!! This was when the movie had recently come out.

On the way out of the theater I talked with the VP and slyly asked him what he thought of the movie: "Kramer, after about 15 minutes I put my head in my hands and thought to myself oh my God what have we done" and then he started chuckling about it.

The Lake House with Sandra Bullock and Keanu Reeves. Sappy time travel love story that my husband and I love!
The Replacements also with Keanu Reeves. It's about a bunch of washed up players replacing the pros during a football players strike.

That was a great movie. Another offbeat favorite of mine is Second Hand Lions with Robert Duval and Michael Caine.

This is my favorite movie ever. Such a great story and good for all ages, which is hard to find these days.

Another funny one is Yellowbeard.

Stacked together they must take up only 2-3 inches. Where are you going that you do not have that much space? Are you moving to Mars?

Cooked, you lost your Vonnegut paper books? I grieve.:(

Muriel's Wedding a quirky Aussie movie but I really liked it and it has lot's of ABBA music in it.

Sorcerer starring Roy Scheider. It's a remake of The Wages of Fear, a French movie from c 1952. Really good story and great footage of driving large trucks through the jungle.

Local Hero, Yellowbeard, and Second Hand Lions are favorite quirky movies.

Waking Ned Devine.

Which makes me think...I don't have that one on Blu-ray yet, and need to find it...

Stacked together they must take up only 2-3 inches. Where are you going that you do not have that much space? Are you moving to Mars?

Still think we are moving back to the UK in 3 years or so. Just slowly starting the process of getting rid of EVERYTHING I don't need. Although.....multisystem DVD's players have gotten a lot cheaper these days. But I am too cheap to want to ship more than I have to that far. Everything will eventually get sold or given away. Golf clubs .....bicycle ....probably everything but my mandolin, and most of my clothes (which can fit into one small closet and one small chest of drawers).

A few favorites: Best in Show, Waiting for Guffman, Babette's Feast. High Fidelity. And, of course, Yellowbeard.:)

+1
Thanks for reminding me of this gem, LitGal! :flowers:

The Legend of 1900
Saving Grace
Ravenous

There was this interview with Michael Caine regarding accents when the movie came out. He was asked how, as a Cockney Brit, he learned a ... what was it, a West Texas drawl? He said that his vocal coach told him to lean one word into the next one into the next one. Then Caine was asked what actor he thought had mimicked a Cockney accent best, and he said Forest Whitaker in The Crying Game.

Local Hero, Yellowbeard, and Second Hand Lions are favorite quirky movies.

Local Hero is my favorite movie of all time...you are the only other person I've ever known who has ever mentioned it.:blush:

Local Hero is my favorite movie of all time...you are the only other person I've ever known who has ever mentioned it.:blush:

Others of us love that too. Two bits of trivia to blow your mind ( maybe)
- the actor who played the hotel owner was in star wars and is the uncle of ewan macgregor, also in star wars !
- the actor who played the young assistant who fell in love with the mermaid has been made the new Dr. Who !

Back
Top Bottom