Quirky movies that weren't popular

I thought I was the only person that knew of that movie. We just watched from Nflix, I thought DW was going to strangle me.. how fitting the ending was.

MRG

I saw A Boy and His Dog quite by accident when it first came out (around 1979 I think). It has been a hard week, why don't we go to the drive in and unwind. Boy and his dog? Sounds like a nice Disney movie.

The second movie as I remember was Night of the Lupus. Quirky #2! Don't think we made it through that one.

Another vote for Holes here ... and some others

King of Hearts
The proposal
Kinky Boots
Calendar Girls

I really enjoyed Calendar Girls. Haven't seen the others.

Catch 22 might qualify as quirky. Transpotting. Eyes Wide Shut.

Have to look up the Roy Schneider remake of The Wages of Fear. Recently watched the original again after many years. My DD was intrigued, but maybe by the B+W. Thanks for the info.

Found another one on the shelf I haven't seen for a long time. The Secret of Roan Inish. Another one that I couldn't put on here because I think it was popular at the time....although you don't see it around these days, is the 1937 Lost Horizon. And as I put that one back....I noticed Inkheart.

Being John Malkovich - about as weird as it gets
Heathers - I loved the line "my teen angst bulls#$t has a body count"
Plan Nine From Outer Space - unintentionally very funny
High Fidelity

While hunting for information on Dennis Weaver I found reference to a scary road movie from 1971 called Duel. It was Steven Spielberg's second movie, initially made for TV. It's not on Netflix but the whole movie has just recently been posted on YouTube. It was shot in 13 days and is by no means perfect but it could put you off driving alone on isolated country roads forever! (A cell phone would have been very helpful to the hero if they had been available at the time).

Last edited:
I remember seeing Duel on TV, but sometimes in the early 80s. At that point, Spielberg was already well-known hence I made a note of it when I watched it.

About cat-and-mouse thriller movies on desolate roads, there are quite a few made with the backdrop of the US western states or Australia. Of the latter, I remember Road Games (1981). And the reason for the impression was the young Jamie Lee Curtis. ;)

I remember watching Duel when it was on in 1971, a good movie.

I watched my "Rancho Deluxe" DVD over the holiday and thought I'd resurrect this thread to flesh out my earlier mention, as this is really a good movie. My most lasting impression the first time I saw it came during the closing credits when I thought "Hey, that had an actual plot!"
Jeff Bridges and Sam Waterston play a couple of small-time, modern-day cattle rustlers and Slim Pickens plays a famous stock detective brought in to catch them.
Music (and a brief appearance) by Jimmy Buffett. Written by Tom McGuane (as an added bonus, the script contains the phrase "sagebrush nincompoop").
Smart. Witty. Satirical. Quirky without resorting to space aliens, time warps, alternate realities or other such devices.

Sliding Doors
The White Countess
What's Eating Gilbert Grape
My Beautiful Laundrette
Mississippi Masala

I liked a lot of the films previously mentioned in this thread, too. I think The Princess Bride is one of my son's favorites.

Thanks, Everyone, For a Great List

Winter has started. With all the chores I hope to avoid, you've given me a hearty list to take to our local library, where "lesser known" titles can often be ordered.

Can't wait!

:flowers:

One that I can't forget and I don't think was that popular was "In Bruges"
Ralph Fiennes and Brendan Gleason were both great as always and even Colin Farrell was
watchable for a change.

Add me to the Duel fans. I did not see the movie until the 1980s. It is amazing how little dialog there was in the movie. Dennis Weaver was great.

The 1985 movie, "After Hours" starring Griffin Dunne, Rosanna Arquette, and Teri Garr, (and directed by Martin Scorsese) is a quirky favorite of mine. I was living in Manhattan at the time so I liked the closeness of many of the landmarks to where I lived (in Chelsea).

Another Duel fan.

Just watched Greendale, Neil Young. This was the movie version. Definitely very different.

I'd seen the DVD of a concert performance years ago. Interesting how Neil used the best of the media to tell this tale. If you're not familiar with Greendale, it's not Neil's old stuff, but full of his 2004 ideas.

MRG

Back
Top Bottom