R.I.P. Tioga George

RonBoyd

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
https://blog.vagabonders-supreme.net/2019/02/dear-readers.html

I'm sure you have been wondering why George has not made a post recently. I have some very sad news to report to you. George passed away last week. As a regular reader, you may have noticed that he had been struggling to complete his truck renovation project. His deteriorating health had been frustrating to him and of increasing concerns to his family and friends, and it finally caught up with him.

I followed him up until a year or so ago. He had some interesting adventures and enjoyed life. RIP

RIP Tioga George:(

I enjoyed reading about his adventures for a number of years.

I'm very surprised the DMV did not revoke his license in the last couple of years, especially with the multiple accidents he had. In California, they will test every year if there is an age related reason. He had a couple of run ins with the authorities as well. He really should have stayed in the apartment in San Diego, although he might not have been as happy there.

He complained a lot about arm and back pain in recent posts and he fell several times. Several readers suggested he go to Kaiser to no avail. A sad end.

Thanks for that info. I read quite a few of his adventures before we went full-time RVing. Our RVing lifestyle was very upscale compared to George!

RIP - he touched a lot of people and fired a lot of imaginations.

I wonder if he wandered down the self check-out aisle.

He wrote early on about wishing to avoid the same fate as his parents who suffered through dementia in their final years.

He lived a life that he seemed to really enjoy.

A definite understatement. I read every post he made (it became a morning cupacoffee ritual) from the first one to the last. From the devastating loss of his son to the heart attack that destroyed his beloved Ms Tioga (that he survived is beyond belief), he always had a very positive can-do attitude. In fact, he found everything to be a challenge that he delighted in taking on. Case in point is that his last month was spent building an RV from scratch.

From being given a few months to live (Cancer) to his death 20 years later proving "them" wrong is quite inspiring.

A definite understatement. I read every post he made (it became a morning cupacoffee ritual) from the first one to the last. From the devastating loss of his son to the heart attack that destroyed his beloved Ms Tioga (that he survived is beyond belief), he always had a very positive can-do attitude. In fact, he found everything to be a challenge that he delighted in taking on. Case in point is that his last month was spent building an RV from scratch.

From being given a few months to live (Cancer) to his death 20 years later proving "them" wrong is quite inspiring.

He definitely had a story to tell. I was not aware of him until this thread, but I have since started to "catch" up on his blog...and it's been an interesting read. George had a lot of experience with a lot of things and I am thankful he shared so much of it.

Ron, thanks for letting us know. I read his blog for many years (I use to own a motorhome) and had not gotten on the blog in a couple of weeks since I did not know of his death. Tioga George was one of a kind, lead a very interesting life and was a good writer. He was diagnosed with cancer around 20 years ago and started writing his blog as part of dealing with cancer. He was one of the first to write an RV blog. A few years ago he had a heart attack while driving his camper "Miss Tioga". Miss Tioga went to RV heaven but George somehow lived. He then moved into a senior living apartment and did not like it. A couple of years ago he stopped all the medicine that was keeping him from functioning well and went back to RVing. I am glad he was able to live his life on his own terms. RIP George.

I read about his adventures periodically. RIP George.

I have been following George's blog over the years. I think I learned of his blog from this forum, back when I was learning about RV'ing. I would catch up on reading his diary every couple of weeks, and have not gotten up-to-date on his writings for a couple of weeks. So, I just learn of his passing from this thread.

His was not a bad way to go. When it's my time, I want to be like George, not lingering in bed.

Back
Top Bottom