Stealth Wealth

Back to the original topic & hope we can stay there. This has been a great thread with many interesting perspectives.

The post & photo of Keds sneakers made me smile. When I was in high school many decades ago, wearing white Keds canvas sneakers (with colored knee socks!) was considered quite stylish. My family couldn't afford expensive anything, but I did want to look nice & spent my own money on a few things that made me feel good, including those Keds, which cost $5 (vs the $2 or $3 ones at Woolworth's). That was a real splurge (I've posted elsewhere about how much I would babysit @ 50 cents an hour to save for college, & I did save diligently). But for me those Keds were worth it, & I remember them fondly. I think in those days the logo on the back was solid blue -- very classy, I thought! I guess this is the opposite of stealth wealth, since by spending a little money I was trying to fit in.

Now that I can afford to buy almost anything I want, I still have a pair of Keds in my closet (which I bought cheaply on Ebay). Guess I'm still nostalgic about them.

In grade school, my mom found a lady who sold her several nephews' used clothing. I was just about the perfect size to take many of them.

In about 3rd grade, I literally lusted after a leather jacket that another kid had. It was perfect "cowboy" leather (almost a swede) with fringes across the front and back of it.

One of the hand-me-downs that came to me about that same time was a similar leather jacket but it was quite well worn. Not torn or anything, but "aged." BUT, mine had leather fringes not only across the front and back, but also hanging from the sleeves. I don't recall any item of clothing I ever loved more. I wore that thing until I could no longer fit my arms into it.

The kid with the nice leather jacket tried to "rank" me. ("My jacket is newer and better than yours.") Of course, I was able to answer back that ("My jacket has fringes on the sleeves!") What great memories of times gone by. MOSTLY good. A few bad.

Many students, but not all seemed to try to appear more wealthy than they were. But the school I was in was probably the 2nd poorest school in the school system (roughly 12 schools, I'd say.) There simply were NO rich people feeding the school. When my parents finally became successful at the family business (able to get loans to expand, etc.) I did start to wear a bit nice clothes. But we certainly were never wealthy. Other than the leather jacket, I don't think I ever tried to show my "wealth" at school!

Not just apparel. I posted in the pet peeve thread my dislike of car dealers gluing their logo on the new car/truck I just spent five figures to acquire. They can’t be removed w/o damaging finish. Do I get a price cut for being their driving billboard? Nope[emoji34]

Agree! Don't remember which car, but I remember specifically telling the dealer not to put their logo on. On one used car I bought I was able to remove it without damaging the finish.

This should be required reading in schools (and welfare offices.)

Thank God you had an inner compass and parent-driven morality.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks!!
Your experience and journey are very inspiring.

Thank you. I think the real miracle is my parents raising not just me, but all 7 of us siblings who all ended in with the same type of drive in different fields. I am the "underachiever", as I am the only one without a degree beyond a Bachelors. They (and their spouses) are (or are retired) doctors, lawyers, investment bankers, and teachers/educators. I comfort myself with the fact that they still call me when they have computing/network issues :D.

Back to the original topic & hope we can stay there. This has been a great thread with many interesting perspectives.

The post & photo of Keds sneakers made me smile. When I was in high school many decades ago, wearing white Keds canvas sneakers (with colored knee socks!) was considered quite stylish. My family couldn't afford expensive anything, but I did want to look nice & spent my own money on a few things that made me feel good, including those Keds, which cost $5 (vs the $2 or $3 ones at Woolworth's). That was a real splurge (I've posted elsewhere about how much I would babysit @ 50 cents an hour to save for college, & I did save diligently). But for me those Keds were worth it, & I remember them fondly. I think in those days the logo on the back was solid blue -- very classy, I thought! I guess this is the opposite of stealth wealth, since by spending a little money I was trying to fit in.

Now that I can afford to buy almost anything I want, I still have a pair of Keds in my closet (which I bought cheaply on Ebay). Guess I'm still nostalgic about them.

I was not a Keds person. However, sometimes, if it was not a "whatever no-name the local discount store had on sale", it was Converse. Often it was the single Christmas gift we received. Getting one of those we had to make it last until it fell apart. Hole in the bottom? No issue, that is what cardboard and plastic is for :). Interestingly, this did not make me feel "poor", it made me feel like I was getting the most of the object.

You did not want to have expensive sneakers anyway, due to the robbery risk (either mugging or breaking into gym lockers).

Back then it was one sneaker at a time. Now in my "stealth wealth" days, I have 7 pairs of sneakers, but none of them are Converse. Fortunately no one notices :).

Okay, contributing to thread drift here and if I’m unjustly maligning Keds, let me know. I never had Keds as a kid, but I remember seeing ads that touted Keds as helping you to run faster. Now, even as a kid, I knew that wasn’t realistic, but since sports was area where I NEVER excelled, it did appeal to me. Anyone else remember this or was it some other brand of shoe?

Okay, contributing to thread drift here and if I’m unjustly maligning Keds, let me know. I never had Keds as a kid, but I remember seeing ads that touted Keds as helping you to run faster. Now, even as a kid, I knew that wasn’t realistic, but since sports was area where I NEVER excelled, it did appeal to me. Anyone else remember this or was it some other brand of shoe?

They all made that claim way back when :LOL: - Keds, PF Flyers, Red Ball Jets....

Run fast and jump high! It was Keds, P.F. Flyers or Red Ball Jets. Not sure which had that ad.

Run fast and jump high! It was Keds, P.F. Flyers or Red Ball Jets. Not sure which had that ad.

I only ever got the W.T. Grant canvas tennis shoes. One pair a year.

I only ever got the W.T. Grant canvas tennis shoes. One pair a year.

I got the factory seconds from a local store called Econ-O-Mart. They were usually one of above brands in white high-tops with the labels on the inner ankle melted down and silver paint over the name on the in-sole. But hey, I was thrilled to get them! Life was grand!

What are these high-fashion shoe brands that even now I don't know about?

When I was growing up, it was Bata shoes all the way. You don't know Bata? The Web will tell you.

And now, I remember the last time I got a pair of sneakers, it was at Marshalls, or Target, or Foot Locker, I don't remember. I tried on pairs of shoes and the cheapest pair that fit, I bought. Did not even know the brand or care. Just some generic shoes made in China, or Vietnam, or Thailand, or wherever.

Last edited:
When I was growing up, it was Bata shoes all the way. You don't know Bata? The Web will tell you.

Don't have to look it up. When in Singapore there was a Bata shoe store. I was told what it meant. :D

For me, we always went to the local Rand store (Randolph, MA) to buy the seconds. Never thought much about it. But even as an off brand, they "scrubbed" the rubber label on the sneaker so you could not read it.

Don't have to look it up. When in Singapore there was a Bata shoe store. I was told what it meant. :D

Well, I don't know what you were told, but still, look up Bata to learn its history.

Its Web site shows presence in 31 countries, and indeed Singapore was one.

The founder, Tomáš Baťa, created this company in 1894.

Czech and Slovak (Bat'a or Bát'a) : from bat'a 'brother', 'mate', also used as a colloquial nickname for a blockhead.

Bata had the idea of using canvas to make shoes instead of the expensive leather. He put shoes on peasants and their children's feet. He was a hero.

Here's the Bata store in Prague.

By the way, I looked around and saw that Bata still offers in Thailand the shoes I used to wear. It costs US$12. I don't know if Bata still offers it in other countries. I used to walk in the rain, through puddles, and the shoes held up.

192031.jpg

Last edited:
Well, I don't know what you were told, but still, look up Bata to learn its history.

Its Web site shows presence in 31 countries, and indeed Singapore was one.

The founder, Tomáš Baťa, created this company in 1894.

Bata had the idea of using canvas to make shoes instead of the expensive leather. He put shoes on peasants and their children's feet. He was a hero.

Here's the Bata store in Prague.

By the way, I looked around and saw that Bata still offers in Thailand the shoes I used to wear. It costs US$12. I don't know if Bata still offers it in other countries. I used to walk in the rain, through puddles, and the shoes held up.

192031.jpg

Buy And Throw Away

Buy And Throw Away

Bite your tongue! :fingerwag:

I looked at Bata Web sites in all different countries, and nowhere could I find the simple canvas slip-on shoes that I had. Only in Thailand do they offer something similar and dirt-cheap at $12, but it does not look quite the same and is for women. Even in poor countries like Bangladesh, I saw that even the cheapest shoes there were fancy compared to my shoes.

Oh well. Things are not the same as they were 50 years ago. I cannot never go back to that time, just as I had the idea of ordering a pair of shoes to reminisce of my teenage years.

When she passed all siblings and grand kids were surprised how much they received.. I was the only one who knew...

You can be very stealthy...

Had a similar experience when my Dad passed; I was the only one who knew where he stood financially and everyone who received a financial amount was pleasantly surprised. Made being the Executor easier.

I do not know how all of you have shoes with any brand name... I was like someone earlier and got the cheap special at K-Mart... no name at all on them...

Here's the ad from P.F. Flyers - Good memory, Rocket Man!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 1.59.07 AM.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-08-27 at 1.59.07 AM.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 76
...Even changing your behavior will not guarantee the best outcome. But it increases the odds, and sometimes changing the behavior opens up opportunities that you would have not seen otherwise.
This reminded me that early in my career, I used to start acting like my manager in thought and actions. When it came time to promote, I was always the logical choice.

My Dad was a poor immigrant from Glasgow, the youngest of 5 children who came over in steerage with their parents. With a grade 9 education, he always strived. Was the first in his family to own a house, and a car and a cottage. I was the first to get a BASc. Then got a Ford Foundation Fellowship to earn an MASc.

Never been a label person. Always removed the dealer stickers on our cars.

Ironically, all our friends have more wealth than we do. But we have enough to keep up with them on travel. Our Mercedes is a 2014 and our Kia Soul is a 2017. No plans to upgrade while they have all the latest. One of them has their own plane and another their own yacht. No problem we will gladly be their passenger and pay for the gas.

We live in a 3300 sq.ft penthouse up north and a luxury 2800 sq.ft condo in the south. But aside from that, we are stealthy.

Funny tangent story about clothing. At my last job at work there was a guy that showed up one day dressed significantly more than the typical engineer coworkers. I joked did he have an interview. He replied no that he was wearing an outfit he received for Christmas, but he thought it was good if you dress for the job you want, rather than the job you have. My response was well guess I need to show up in shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes; because I want to be retired!

95% of the time I am wearing that outfit now: shorts, t-shirt and tennis shoes. I succeeded in my goal. Only when it's too cold do I wear long pants and maybe a flannel shirt. No name brand anything in my wardrobe. It's usually a car related t-shirt from a show or similar, with some nameless jean or pocket shorts.

Speaking of no name brands in the wardrobe, I have been buying my jeans at Sam's for the last 6-7 years. They are the most comfortable ones I have found, and last time I think they were $15. Ordered on line (not plus member) shipping was reasonable (maybe $3? for 2 pair)

I liked a pair of shoes at Cabela's but shocked the salesman when I told him I wouldn't buy them because the shoes had too much non-removable advertising. He had never heard of such a thing.

Broadly, I think the triumph if late 20th century marketing is convincing the majority of people that they should pay extra for clothes that advertise the manufacturer. I think this is an artifact of evolution's giving us humans an overwhelming urge to join as many tribes as possible. Sports tribes, national tribes, religious tribes, shoe tribes, beer tribes ...

No name brand anything in my wardrobe. It's usually a car related t-shirt from a show or similar, with some nameless jean or pocket shorts.

Yeah, I have a ton of freebie T-shirts from events. If you give it to me for nothing, or for participation (charitable, athletic or corporate event, donating blood), yeah, I'll wear it.:D

Sadly, some of the major name brands have been so diluted by fakes I think most people just assume they are- Chanel, Louis Vuitton, Prada...when I was in Sarajevo the shopping arcade near my hotel was mostly stalls with fancy designer names and incredibly low prices. They even sold just the bags so you could PRETEND that you shopped there or bought a gift there. (When I posted a picture on FB some people told me that counterfeits could be confiscated if you brought them into the US, which was good news to me.)

No way I'd buy any of those names- real or faked.

Broadly, I think the triumph if late 20th century marketing is convincing the majority of people that they should pay extra for clothes that advertise the manufacturer. I think this is an artifact of evolution's giving us humans an overwhelming urge to join as many tribes as possible. Sports tribes, national tribes, religious tribes, shoe tribes, beer tribes ...

I agree it is a triumph. But I think the reason more is that people want to feel "significant" or "better" in some way, shape or fashion. Advertising is geared to tell you "you do not have this, so your life is lacking something; having this will make you feel better about yourself/more significant/both"). For some brands it is to so "I am wealthy" or "I am cool and with it". For other brands it is to say "I am a winner". In the latter case that would align with joining a "tribe", so either the popularity or the "safety in numbers" view.

I am always amused by the stories along the lines of "YYY brand in hot demand due to Celebrity ZZZ wearing it at event QQQ" :).

Back
Top Bottom