Radio Flyer

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Attachments

• Radio Flyer.jpg
    Radio Flyer.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 4
What's the diff? Just made in china rather than in the US, right?

Ooops, I'm sorry, I was thinking of the Ladio Fryer wagon.

What's the diff? Just made in china rather than in the US, right?

The only major difference is where the handle attaches to the tongue of the front axle assembly. They used to just have a bolt & nut there, and it was a MAJOR finger pincher....been there-done that! The new models have kind of a ball-joint instead...much easier on Junior's fingers!

I bought one a few years ago to use as a garden wagon....still seems to be same thickness of steel parts, etc. as the old version used to be. :)

Edited: Oooops! I had just scanned the article, and the image of the new version hadn't loaded. Just went back to actually read it more thoroughly, and this time the picture did load! Wow! Quite a difference! Harnesses, speakers, "digital handle".....Bah!!! I'll stick with the old tried & true model!!! Besides, I bet the old version will hold up a whole lot better to the pounding & abuse that kids are able to give it!!! Me & my cousins would of had the "new" 2.0 destroyed within the 1st week....EASY!!! And we were 'careful'.....in our estimation anyway! :D

We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer. That wouldn't be possible with the one in the picture.

We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer.

Same here...down the hill....down the steps....down the ravine......Me & my Cuz were always gettin' down! I think our parents were major stockholders in S.C. Johnson.....Band-Aids!!! And we still have a few scars to prove it! ;)

We used to coast down the hill in our wagon, and the handle came back in a way that made it possible to steer. That wouldn't be possible with the one in the picture.

Too cool Al. Wish I'd thought of that as a kid. Guess we were too busy risking life and limb on our skateboards;)

Same here...down the hill....down the steps....down the ravine......Me & my Cuz were always gettin' down! I think our parents were major stockholders in S.C. Johnson.....Band-Aids!!! And we still have a few scars to prove it! ;)

When I was five or so, cousin and I got the bright idea to ride the little red wagon down the steep rutted dirt driveway; I think we got about half way.

I saw the new Cloud 9 wagon yesterday and it got me thinking....

In a few short years it will be just another piece of plastic junk that heads off to the landfill or the recycling center. When the digital handle dies and the speakers are dead and your new MP99 player won't connect up to the old MP3 player port it's toast.

Besides, a kid can't even use the thing by themselves. As Al pointed the handle doesn't pivot back and if you notice the front wheels don't steer (they are casters) so someone has to pull the thing. How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb. :D

It doesn't even look like it would make a good portable water supply for summer squirtgun fights with the other kids.

My old metal Radio Flyer was around for more than 20 years and then my sister used it for her kids.

Definitely not destined to become a family heirloom. Bet it doesn't last as long as the HELOC payments used to buy it. :p

We also did the ride the wagon down the hill thing.

My sister once decided that she was going to grow frogs so she took her wagon, filled it with swamp water and frog eggs.

Then she forgot about it. Little dried and dead stuck on tadpoles were with that wagon forever.

I need to get one in the spring. A wagon seems a lot better than a wheelbarrow for general around the yard stuff.
Plus, if you keep a small piece of plywood handy. you can lay it across the wagon and use it as a portable seat to take a rest or to sit and deadhead flower, and stuff like that. The wheelbarrow's to high and 'tippy' to do that!

I saw the new Cloud 9 wagon yesterday and it got me thinking....

In a few short years it will be just another piece of plastic junk that heads off to the landfill or the recycling center. When the digital handle dies and the speakers are dead and your new MP99 player won't connect up to the old MP3 player port it's toast.

Besides, a kid can't even use the thing by themselves. As Al pointed the handle doesn't pivot back and if you notice the front wheels don't steer (they are casters) so someone has to pull the thing. How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb.

It doesn't even look like it would make a good portable water supply for summer squirtgun fights with the other kids.

My old metal Radio Flyer was around for more than 20 years and then my sister used it for her kids.

Definitely not destined to become a family heirloom. Bet it doesn't last as long as the HELOC payments used to buy it. :p
Yep, more throw away junk, that won't take normal wear & tear of the projected audience. Of course, if it lasted forever and could be passed along generation to generation, the company wouldn't make as much money on new sales! >:D

We used to fill ours up with water and have a portable pool to play in....coudn't swim or even splash much in it, but it sure was nice on really hot days to cool off!

How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the neighbor's pile of leaves by the curb.
Or, as in my youth, "How is a kid going to give it a push and then jump in and head down the sidewalk and crash into the TREE by the neighbor's pile of leaves." :D

Yep, more throw away junk, that won't take normal wear & tear of the projected audience. Of course, if it lasted forever and could be passed along generation to generation, the company wouldn't make as much money on new sales! >:D

Couldn't agree with you more. Those old wagons lasted and lasted. DH and I have a set of those heavy duty metal lawn chairs. They are 50+ years old and still look great. I re-painted them this summer and they look like new again. Those chairs will be around long after we are gone. Here's a picture of two of them. The kittens were fosters we had out for some sun on our back deck. The last of the kittens was adopted last Friday:)

Attachments

• 7 Kittens.JPG
    7 Kittens.JPG
    425.1 KB · Views: 3
Couldn't agree with you more. Those old wagons lasted and lasted. DH and I have a set of those heavy duty metal lawn chairs. They are 50+ years old and still look great. I re-painted them this summer and they look like new again. Those chairs will be around long after we are gone. Here's a picture of two of them. The kittens were fosters we had out for some sun on our back deck. The last of the kittens was adopted last Friday:)

Hey Purron - check out one of my gifties: Badcat, the book.
Some excerpts: MyCatHatesYou dot com

Back
Top Bottom