Rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms...

rayinpenn

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months he’s mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

You are sitting in waiting room of your doctor’s office - he’s helping you lose the weight that has you at risk of a heart attack. The nurse calls you in and when you walk in the examination room you see the doctor the doctor is eating a huge banana split. He sees the look on your face and says “it’s ok I’m thin”

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.

Last edited:
People wear pajamas?

This guy was an early ER blogger who was kind of interesting when he started writing. He divorced his first wife, who mothered him throughout the marriage, and made a boatload of excuses about his "happiness" when he did. Everything is about him and he is never happy or satisfied with whatever he has. I lost all respect for the guy back then and he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

Last edited:
People wear pajamas?

Well, if you don't actually wear them, they'll last forever.

Back to the original question...

If you have that kind of dough to blow, you don't need advice on frugality. If not, you probably don't want to take it from someone with those spending habits.

Pajamas is (are?) not how we choose to blow dough (I almost typed "blough dough"). There are big T-shirts for those occasions when one must leap into action in a twinkling from under the covers.

Meanwhile, $80 buys a nice king-sized electric blanket from an overstock seller.

Rationalizing $80 dollar pajama bottoms...

This guy was an early ER blogger who was kind of interesting when he started writing. He divorced his first wife, who mothered him throughout the marriage, and made a boatload of excuses about his "happiness" when he did. Everything is about him and he is never happy or satisfied with whatever he has. I lost all respect for the guy back then and he hasn't proven me wrong yet.

I am afraid I’ve come to the same conclusion.. He lacks empathy which in my mind is disasterous for a public figure.

I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months he’s mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

You are sitting in waiting room of your doctor’s office - he’s helping you lose the weight that has you at risk of a heart attack. The nurse calls you in and when you walk in the examination room you see the doctor the doctor is eating a huge banana split. He sees the look on your face and says “it’s ok I’m thin”

My Panama bottom cost $8 - $12 bought on sale. I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.

We all manage to rationalize our splurges while looking down our noses at others.

"It's actually saving me money in the long run" is a handy excuse.
"We deserve it" is popular.
"It's okay, I can afford it" works well in most situations.
"YOLO" is popular too, along with the variants "Life is short" and "I had a friend who died at [insert a relatively young age here]".

Hopefully, most folks have an overall mindset that gets them to whatever individual goals they hold, and they aren't just kidding themselves. Sadly, I know a lot of folks in the latter category.

Last edited:
No help here rationalizing $80 pajama bottoms. Recently received a 50%-off coupon for flannel shirts from Eddie Bauer. Even with half off, think I’ll continue buying them at Costco.

Can’t/hate sleeping in pajamas; my idea of loungewear is cheap sweats from Walmart.

Don't you also wear pajama tops?[QUOTES=rayinpenn;2131861]I periodically follow the blog: Get Rich Slowly by JD Roth (he posts in twitter and his blog). Over the past few months he’s mentioned a new hot tub, his like of expensive luggage and touted his new $80 Alaskan Lounging Pajamas- rationalizing the expense by saying $20 ones wear out in a year. And went on to talk about how a good pair of work boots will saved money. I took him to task saying the last thing anyone on a mission to FI was more stuff. He said he had the funds and thrift for thrift sake is the path to misery. In response i offered this story:

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.[/QUOTE]

I don't wear pj's, but I will spend $ on quality clothing and nicer things because, yes, they are going to last longer, and are then probably made from better fabrics.

I don't like polyester, polyblends, or other manmade fabrics, and definitely not for sleeping in.

There's LBYM, and then there's common sense "splurges". If it makes you happy, no need to judge.

If you want them, buy them!

No PJs for me. ;)

_B

Attachments

• life-august-14-1944-cents-american-symbols-of-manhood-from-32283407.png
    life-august-14-1944-cents-american-symbols-of-manhood-from-32283407.png
    93.4 KB · Views: 53
I don't wear pajamas to bed. But I don't see this being any different than any other splurges we talk about here, from fine wines to high end whiskeys, eating out in a nice restaurant, etc. We all decide what items we want to splurge on and what items we want to be frugal with.

If I did wear pajamas I'm sure I'd find some for a lot less than $80, but I don't tend to spend that kind of money on casual clothing.

My Panama bottoms cost $8 - $12 bought on sale Mrs. RayinPenn I have both light and winter weight. No one appreciates a splurge purchase more than me but $80 for pajama bottoms? Especially from a self proclaimed FIRE pundit.

i am very thin , yet have a L.A.D. ( nick-named the 'Widow-maker' ) , a few quick tests and i quickly change the doctors smile .

but $80 pajama bottoms :confused: they would would want to be silk , and it would be one very special future widow that would inspire me to splash out like that .

the upside of course would be , it would be unlikely i would be spending much after that ( my widow would have to look after her own finances )

:D

I get his point. I've bragged about this before, but in 1982 I bought a dress winter coat at Brooks Brothers- a classic camel hair style, for $400. I still have it. It's still beautiful. I haven't bought a dress winter coat since. The last time I bought a pair of dress shoes was before I retired, so over 4.5 years ago. I bought several pairs from the same manufacturer (Thierry Rabotin) over about 5 years. I don't buy dress shoes anymore. I'm still getting compliments on my Justin cowboy boots that I bought at a Berkshire meeting 12 years ago. My favorite cashmere sweater is over 15 years old and it cost me about $300, but how can a beige turtleneck go out of style?

Sure beats buying cheap stuff and then throwing it in the landfill and replacing it when it falls apart every year.

PS My "pajamas" are whatever I pull off the tip of my stack of freebie T-shirts.

So you wear a helmet to bed, and sleep with your rifle?

Hmm.

shotgun and ammo belt

now maybe if pajamas came in Kevlar ( and chain mesh ) , it isn't Chicago , but Sin City is just down road , plenty of big spending criminals about

$80 PJ's? Nope.

But I can get sideways with myself at Bass Pro Shops.

I also learned that I have no business whatsoever going into Harbor Freight Tools unless I have a specific purchase to make. Even then, DW puts the horse blinders on me.

shotgun and ammo belt

now maybe if pajamas came in Kevlar ( and chain mesh ) , it isn't Chicago , but Sin City is just down road , plenty of big spending criminals about

Another with a thing about sleeping with guns. Kinda sad.
Oh well - to each their own I guess.

No PJ. Always sleep in the same shorts that I wear during the day, but quite often bare chested without the T-shirt.

About the OP, a drawback with a financial blog is that one has to justify any purchase with his readers. Of course he does not have to tell every detail of his life, but has to tell enough to connect with his readers. Then, he subjects himself to being judged.

I don't know about this guy, and do not care if he spends that much for his PJ.

But I can get sideways with myself at Bass Pro Shops.

I also learned that I have no business whatsoever going into Harbor Freight Tools unless I have a specific purchase to make. Even then, DW puts the horse blinders on me.

I can relate. My weakness is hobby shops. I walked into this one (then near FIL's place) and said out loud "Uh, oh, I could get into trouble in here". An employee looked a me, laughed, and said "We love it when someone says that".:LOL:

Back
Top Bottom