Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Rebuilding New Orleans
Old 09-19-2005, 09:32 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

That's no Boole...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2005, 10:01 PM   #22

You guys are good!
Old 10-27-2005, 08:49 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

FIL passed away; attended funeral in New Orleans.* Took a ride down in the 9th ward where all the flooding was.* It is eerie.* Hundreds of homes empty, businesses closes.* TV does not do it justice.* And you can smell it.* Anyway, I have some photos and as soon as I figure out what my new DSL connection has done to emailing photos, I'll post a few.* Apparently sbc takes over from XP.

Also went to Waveland Mississippi.* Now that place took the brunt of the Katrina storm.* It's wasn't just flooded, it looks like it was bombed, flattened. I have a friend whose MIL was found, apparently praying, dead. She didn't leave. .....Sad.

To forget all this, I travel to Paris tomorrow.* This retirement travel is almost like working.* Well,... not quite.* I'll take digitals there, too.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 08:59 AM   #24

Condolences on the loss of FIL, Eagle. Looking forward to the pics. Welll, the Paris pics anyway.
Old 10-27-2005, 11:12 AM   #25
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle43
To forget all this, I travel to Paris tomorrow.* This retirement travel is almost like working.* Well,... not quite.* I'll take digitals there, too.*
Red wine & patisseries. Then for dessert there's... more red wine and ANOTHER patisserie...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 10:32 PM   #26

Eagle,

Sorry to hear about your FIL. I can't imagine what the NO people have gone through. We had a freak snowstorm in our neck of the woods and we were without power for approx 20 hrs and we did not care for it! My daughter went to my son's house and spent the night!

I hope you have a wonderful trip in Paris. Take lots of pictures!

Dreamer
Old 10-28-2005, 08:18 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer
Eagle,

Sorry to hear about your FIL.* I can't imagine what the NO people have gone through.* We had a freak snowstorm in our neck of the woods and we were without power for approx 20 hrs and we did not care for it!* My daughter went to my son's house and spent the night!

I hope you have a wonderful trip in Paris.* Take lots of pictures!

Dreamer
I'm certain this has occurred to others. Much of what the victims of recent
disasters are seeking to "survive" wasn't even available (invented)
a short time ago. Interesting what we now consider "necessities".
You need food, water, clothing and shelter. Pretty much everything else can
be done without if necessary. I would admit that our society is no longer
set up to "live off the land", but uncountable numbers did it before us.
Now we whine if the power is out and we can't watch Oprah.

JG
Old 10-28-2005, 08:32 AM   #28

Following problems exist in NOLA.
1. No lodging. Motels are few and far between. Contractors are taking all unharmed motels and some are even living in tents. They say they're gonna have Mardi Gras next spring. If you come, bring your camper, and bring an electric generator.

2. Traffic by contractor trucks is horrendous.

3. In the flooded area, 8 weeks after, no electricity, no water.

4. Driving across Miss River Bridge, look left or right at the homes. Many, and I mean a whole lot, have the blue tarp that FEMA puts on the roof.

5. Lines at all open stores. Walmart was closing at 5 p.m. Some stations out of gas.

6. A lot of places are begging for employees. Signs everywhere. If you wanna work, go on down. They are paying way more that usual for such jobs as "Do you want fries with that?" Construction workers are making out. For example: roofers can get up to $50 a square (tile or whatever they put on the roof). Just climb up and start nailing. Going across the Miss River Bridge, where there is a toll, is a pain. Why? The toll takers never came back.

7. If you wanted to come back and clean up your home, where would you stay? Your family? That 9th ward should be leveled and rebuilt.

8. Still have the levee problem. One solution proposed was locks at the famous 17th street (where the levee broke).

9. As an aside, Baton Rouge's population has doubled. I by-passed it. Didn't like to drive there before Katrina. Now it's the LA freeway in miniature.

10. Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone. Good riddiance, they say. Worthless, they opine. Let San Antonio have 'em.

Disclaimer: My Posts are for my amusement only.
Eagle43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2005, 08:36 AM   #29

Quote:

10.* Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone.* Good riddiance, they say.* Worthless, they opine.* Let San Antonio have 'em.*
Now, that's funny!

JG
Old 10-28-2005, 09:51 AM   #30
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
10.* Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone.* Good riddiance, they say.* Worthless, they opine.* Let San Antonio have 'em.*
When I was a kid, all you could watch was the Saints. Before the days of cable you would just get the regional game CBS offered. The only time I got to see the good teams like the Packers and Colts were only during the playoffs or when they were putting a major whipping on the Saints. I would still hate to see the Saints move, but I won't lose any sleep over it either.* The last time I went to a Saints game, Archie Manning was at quarterback. I think San Diego led at the half 31-0