Rebuilding New Orleans

Eagle,

Sorry to hear about your FIL. I can't imagine what the NO people have gone through. We had a freak snowstorm in our neck of the woods and we were without power for approx 20 hrs and we did not care for it! My daughter went to my son's house and spent the night!

I hope you have a wonderful trip in Paris. Take lots of pictures!

Dreamer

Dreamer said:
Eagle,

Sorry to hear about your FIL.  I can't imagine what the NO people have gone through.  We had a freak snowstorm in our neck of the woods and we were without power for approx 20 hrs and we did not care for it!  My daughter went to my son's house and spent the night!

I hope you have a wonderful trip in Paris.  Take lots of pictures!

Dreamer

I'm certain this has occurred to others. Much of what the victims of recent
disasters are seeking to "survive" wasn't even available (invented)
a short time ago. Interesting what we now consider "necessities".
You need food, water, clothing and shelter. Pretty much everything else can
be done without if necessary. I would admit that our society is no longer
set up to "live off the land", but uncountable numbers did it before us.
Now we whine if the power is out and we can't watch Oprah.

JG

Following problems exist in NOLA.
1. No lodging. Motels are few and far between. Contractors are taking all unharmed motels and some are even living in tents. They say they're gonna have Mardi Gras next spring. If you come, bring your camper, and bring an electric generator.

2. Traffic by contractor trucks is horrendous.

3. In the flooded area, 8 weeks after, no electricity, no water.

4. Driving across Miss River Bridge, look left or right at the homes. Many, and I mean a whole lot, have the blue tarp that FEMA puts on the roof.

5. Lines at all open stores. Walmart was closing at 5 p.m. Some stations out of gas.

6. A lot of places are begging for employees. Signs everywhere. If you wanna work, go on down. They are paying way more that usual for such jobs as "Do you want fries with that?" Construction workers are making out. For example: roofers can get up to $50 a square (tile or whatever they put on the roof). Just climb up and start nailing. Going across the Miss River Bridge, where there is a toll, is a pain. Why? The toll takers never came back.

7. If you wanted to come back and clean up your home, where would you stay? Your family? That 9th ward should be leveled and rebuilt.

8. Still have the levee problem. One solution proposed was locks at the famous 17th street (where the levee broke).

9. As an aside, Baton Rouge's population has doubled. I by-passed it. Didn't like to drive there before Katrina. Now it's the LA freeway in miniature.

10. Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone. Good riddiance, they say. Worthless, they opine. Let San Antonio have 'em.

Eagle43 said:
10.  Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone.  Good riddiance, they say.  Worthless, they opine.  Let San Antonio have 'em. 

Now, that's funny! :)

JG

Eagle43 said:
10.  Everybody I talked to are glad the Saints are gone.  Good riddiance, they say.  Worthless, they opine.  Let San Antonio have 'em. 

When I was a kid, all you could watch was the Saints. Before the days of cable you would just get the regional game CBS offered. The only time I got to see the good teams like the Packers and Colts were only during the playoffs or when they were putting a major whipping on the Saints. I would still hate to see the Saints move, but I won't lose any sleep over it either.  The last time I went to a Saints game, Archie Manning was at quarterback. I think San Diego led at the half 31-0 :-\

Back
Top Bottom