Recommend a Toaster Oven

We just bought the Cuisinart toaster that Costco is selling for $99. We looked at quite a few models before choosing this one. The Breville models are nice but almost double the price and don't seem to do anything different from the Cuisinart model.

So far I've made pizza, fries, chicken nuggets, and lots of toast. Everything has come out perfect.

We just bought the Cuisinart toaster that Costco is selling for $99. We looked at quite a few models before choosing this one. The Breville models are nice but almost double the price and don't seem to do anything different from the Cuisinart model.

So far I've made pizza, fries, chicken nuggets, and lots of toast. Everything has come out perfect.

Here's one from Cuisinart that seems to be a good combo:

https://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-TO...pID=51DhphSUyaL&preST=_SY300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

Cuisinart Air Fryer Toaster Oven

This unique kitchen workhorse is actually a premium full size toaster oven with a built-in air fryer.

I've been eyeing the Breville Compact Convection Oven for some time, but I have had a hard time getting past the $200 price tag. Even with some Christmas season discount coupons, it was still over $160. In the meantime my old Black and Decker toaster oven still works albeit slowly, and adjusting the settings to get proper toast is just about impossible. When warming things up one has to constantly monitor it to make sure it heats up on a timely basis without burning or over cooking.

A few days ago, I get flyer from BB&B for 20% off Breville products, and the same flyer also contains another 20% off coupon. I used them to buy the Breville for about $138 plus tax. Not cheap, but significantly below any price I have seen in the past year. I guess that's my contribution to Blow the Dough. Now, time will tell if it's worth the money.

Last edited:
I've been eyeing the Breville Compact Convection Oven for some time, but I have had a hard time getting past the $200 price tag. Even with some Christmas season discount coupons, it was still over $160. In the meantime my old Black and Decker toaster oven still works albeit slowly, and adjusting the settings to get proper toast is just about impossible. When warming things up one has to constantly monitor it to make sure it heats up on a timely basis without burning or over cooking.

A few days ago, I get flyer from BB&B for 20% off Breville products, and the same flyer also contains another 20% off coupon. I used them to buy the Breville for about $138 plus tax. Not cheap, but significantly below any price I have seen in the past year. I guess that's my contribution to Blow the Dough. Now, time will tell if it's worth the money.

I hope yours will last. I bought the biggest Breville convection oven... twice. The fan on the first one started making a rattling noise after a few years. I bought the current one (the second one) in May of 2014, and the fan is still working fine, but I have to press the start button a few times to get the oven started now for some reason, but that's a small problem. I will probably try a new brand next time, but this is definitely a good oven. DH used to make homemade pizzas from scratch, etc and they came out great. Everything turns out great, reallly, except, a toaster works better for toasting bread than this oven (it takes much longer to toast bread in the oven), but that's the only downside I can think of.

I will probably go with a Cuisinart convection oven next if I do decide to get another small oven. (I have recently purchased a double oven, so I've been using the top oven of the double oven since it's compact and heats up quickly.)

Last edited:

FWIW, we bought this Cuisinart model from Amazon during their Black Friday sale last Nov. The thermostat is a joke - I measured temperatures using a manual oven thermometer and they varied from the set temperature by + or - 200 degrees or more. Totally useless as an oven, great if you want to burn something to a crisp.

Returned to Amazon after two weeks.

The Oster unit at Costco is $12 off for about another week. Check your local stores as I have seen some differences between locations. I think we took our home for $42 plus tax.
Hard to justify spending a lot more, when they all have limited life to what seems like not much more than 2years.

The Oster unit at Costco is $12 off for about another week. Check your local stores as I have seen some differences between locations. I think we took our home for $42 plus tax.
Hard to justify spending a lot more, when they all have limited life to what seems like not much more than 2years.
Performance is not comparible. My Breville is 5.5 years old and going strong. Well worth the $, IMHO. I've had Black & Decker, Cuisinart, Krups, and now Breville. Breville, hands down.

Performance is not comparible. My Breville is 5.5 years old and going strong. Well worth the $, IMHO. I've had Black & Decker, Cuisinart, Krups, and now Breville. Breville, hands down.

+1

+ 2

My mom had a Breville toaster oven for years, used it almost daily, and liked it a lot.

We have had a many toaster ovens - some okay and others not so okay - over the years. Based on her experience, my wife and I bought one several years ago. We use it almost daily. It was more expensive than many others on the market, but in our opinions the Breville is made better and performs better.

I was going to go with the Breville but current reviews on Amazon frequently mention much shorter lives than you are enjoying--12-24 months before electrical failure are pretty common. Common reviewer comments are along lines "great device as long as it works but once it goes there is no customer service or difficult at best" and "With the abbreviated life, not worth paying 250 for something that only lasts 2 years" YMMV
I am speculating here, but it appears that quality control and components have seriously degraded since your purchase.

So do you have a reliable toaster oven that you love?

Not love but I've been satisfied with the Black+Decker TO3290XSD for over a year. I use it daily as my only oven because the one in my range broke two Thanksgivings ago.

It has no Teflon inside but that's what I wanted. Clean what you can and deal with the rest. I'm lax with the cleaning and it's still not too disgusting. Teflon causes flu like symptoms and can kill some small pets like birds. Teflon-free was very hard to find. It's not enough to look for a non-black interior because there are other colors of non-stick coating.

That's not to say it won't stink from the unseen electronics for the first several uses but that probably goes for every oven.

The instructions say to not try to clean the heating elements. I've mostly followed that. I've found stains on the elements from drips or splatters have burned off over time.

I think the instructions say to unplug after use. I do that. It's not a big deal. If your outlet is too tight then replace it.

I've noticed the fan or something making noise several times. It stopped but I expect to hear it again eventually. Maybe it was from a particularly bad spattering of chicken grease that solidified after a previous use. I stopped rinsing my raw chicken which probably helps prevent spattering somewhat but I also stopped covering my raw chicken with loose aluminum foil and I just let the spattering happen and it's fine.

When copying the model number, not long after cooking chicken for an hour, I noticed that when the oven is tilted so it's resting on it's back grease will drip from under the electrical cord on the right side, so I currently have a paper towel under there to catch the grease. That may be part of my regular maintenance routine.

Our Breville is about the same age and going strong. Like others I read the reviews about quality, but far too many about how good it was. We bought an open box at Bed Bath and Beyond, and have had no trouble with it. It is the smaller model. I almost wish it would go out, as I would like to try one of the flash models.

I also have the larger Breville toaster oven and use it a couple times a week. I rarely use my full sized oven unless I am cooking something too large to fit in the Breville. I have had mine for more than 5 years and have never had any problems with it.

My feelings as well. I have had my Breville Smart Convection oven for 8 years, using it about 3-4 times a week, and it bakes and roasts extremely well. But I do think my toaster does a more efficient job of making toast.

I'd buy another Breville if this one ever goes kaput.

My feelings as well. I have had my Breville Smart Convection oven for 8 years, using it about 3-4 times a week, and it bakes and roasts extremely well. But I do think my toaster does a more efficient job of making toast.

I'd buy another Breville if this one ever goes kaput.

I get why you love your Breville. I bought one for our DD and she loves it as well but it is less than a year old. However, when the more recent reviews, consistently comment on quality and customer service issues that limit effective life to two years, it certainly raises a flag it you are facing a $200-250 purchase price. I would definitely "bite" if I came across a deal for $140ish,

I was going to go with the Breville but current reviews on Amazon frequently mention much shorter lives than you are enjoying--12-24 months before electrical failure are pretty common. Common reviewer comments are along lines "great device as long as it works but once it goes there is no customer service or difficult at best" and "With the abbreviated life, not worth paying 250 for something that only lasts 2 years" YMMV
I am speculating here, but it appears that quality control and components have seriously degraded since your purchase.
My first one started having an issue after about 3.5 years (the convection fan started making too much noise, although everything else worked) and the second one started having a problem with the start button (have to hit it a few times to engage) after about 5 years (although everything else still works).

^ This is what has caused me to hit the pause button on buying a Breville. Consumer Report customers have similar poor reliability comments with even lower ratings than Amazon customers.

Looks like a classic example of "They don't make them like they used to".

My old B&D under the cabinet mount toaster oven is still going strong after close to 20 years. Probably doesn't have the bells and whistles of the newer ones but it keeps an accurate and consistent oven temp and a decent job toasting.

Have not read the whole thread but was a bit surprised reading some of the last posts... having a toaster over last 5 or so years?

Mine is between 25 to 30 years old... it is a Hamilton Beach and it used ALL the time.. heck, for the first 20 years was the only oven I used as I was single..

It looks a bit worn and dirty but still works great... it is a simple appliance... nothing fancy...

I looked at Amazon and the current models look nothing like what I have..

Edit to add... we have a separate toaster for toast...

Last edited:
A bit off topic as iit isn't a toaster ovven but we have a Sharp Double Grill Convection Oven/Microwave that can Microwave cook, Convetion Bake, Grill and Roast all in one unit. Currently it resides in our basement because it takes up too much rool on the counters. Think original size Amanan Radarange, (yes we had one of those when they first came our and cost about $700),

Last time the Sharp was used was 2 years ago I roasted a turkey in it to free up oven space for DW. Since then we bought a slide in double oven so we haven't had a need to use the Sharp/ Good concwpt if we were designing our kitchen to fit it in.

EDIT: Our 4 slice toaster is about 10 years old and works well.

I haven't tried the Cuisinart but we do love our Breville. My mother bought it for the house. I never would have spent so much on a toaster oven but I have been very happy with it. I purchased it for her on Amazon with the 4-year warranty that was available. Mom also bought one for her best friend and one for my sister. So far, everyone has loved them and had no issues.

We had a Breville toaster we paid almost $100 for. Worked great for less than 2 years, then died completely. Will never buy another Breville product.

Back
Top Bottom