Join Early Retirement Today

Old 10-08-2016, 09:45 PM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
One issue I have with red light camera's is they have increased rear-end collisions as people slam on the brakes to stop before the line when the light starts to change.
Red Light Cams Linked to Increased Rear-End Collisions
Exactly what the result was here in Albuqerque. They were put in for red-light runners, not speeding. Private contractor owned them and received a majority of the fine, with lesser percent going to the city. The increased rear-end collisions exceeded the safety of less red-light runners. Also did not sit well with the public since the private company was in another state! After some period, likely the minimum for the contract with private company, they took them all out. As stated by others, tickets here were not moving violations. Just a typical politician money grab, disguised as supposed safety improvement program.

Semi-Retired 7/1/16: working part-time (60%) for now
38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2016, 09:55 PM   #22

They had them and later took them out in Charlotte. I think there were citizens that fought and won on the grounds that it wasn't about safety, it was about raising money.

Old 10-08-2016, 10:02 PM   #23
Recycles dryer sheets

There were reports of some rabble rousers that made replicas of a city council member's license plate, put them on a similar looking vehicle, and then went speeding through several camera speed trap zones.

Probably just a rumor, but it seemed to have merit.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:46 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by sengsational View Post
They had them and later took them out in Charlotte. I think there were citizens that fought and won on the grounds that it wasn't about safety, it was about raising money.
Here in Nassau County (Long Island, NY), a county which has had lots of financial problems in the last 20 years, they installed red-light cameras at several intersections in the last 5 or 10 years. I read stories about rear-end collisions rising at those intersections. There were also stories about drivers getting tickets for legal right-on-red turns. Other stories included the reduction of the length of the yellow lights to trigger more tickets and more revenue for the cash-strapped county.

Then, a year or two ago they installed speed cameras for school zones but there was such a huge outcry over that that they deactivated them. Most of those were not accompanied by a sign with a flashing light indicating to the drivers that the reduced speed limit was in effect. We had people getting tickets in some cases before the school year actually began, and it also fell to the drivers to know when that school was open, as a school's calendar did vary from district to district sometimes.

Most people just paid the tickets even if they didn't deserve them because the costs of fighting them (i.e. take a day off work to go to court) wasn't worth it. Furthermore, the cash-strapped county has added a big "administrative fee" to all traffic and parking tickets to anyone who goes to court, even if they WIN, meaning that as soon as you get a ticket, you will have to pay something. In the recent budget proposal, this fee has been increased to around $100, often more than the ticket itself.
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2016, 11:30 AM   #25
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
A few responses.... not DW, but DS....

It does not go on the driving record, but I did not do it...

I do not think it is the responsibility of the car owner according to what I read... I do not want to pay it.... it is DSs responsibility....

Thanks Car-Guy.... I did see the link you provided before posting... I just cannot find any real life example of someone who was not driving... most just tell you what happens if you do not pay etc...

I want to know what I can do and what would happen if I did it....
Have you considered asking your son to pay it? After all, it was him who broke the traffic law and got caught doing it. That's how it works with MY kids - for parking tickets, tolls, and any other infractions they cause. Never had a complaint - they have always fessed up.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:05 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post
Have you considered asking your son to pay it? After all, it was him who broke the traffic law and got caught doing it. That's how it works with MY kids - for parking tickets, tolls, and any other infractions they cause. Never had a complaint - they have always fessed up.
+1. This was my thought.

When I was working I drove through one of the highest volume intersections in California. (Mira Mesa Blvd and Scranton for those of you familiar with San Diego). It had a red light camera. When it was first installed the contractor received about 80% of the revenues from tickets... And the contractor was alleged to be shortening the yellow light time to increase the number of tickets. A successful lawsuit about this resulted in the revenue distribution changing. The contractor was switched to a fixed price maintenance contract, and no longer had incentive to increase the revenues. It still generated plenty of tickets - because a lot of people run that intersection... but at least the yellow light duration was reasonable after the contractor was busted.
Old 10-09-2016, 12:12 PM   #27
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by euro View Post

OH YES.... I am not paying it..... (well, in reality I will be since he is in college and money is fungible and he is getting lots of money from us right now)... but I do want him to be responsible.... I actually did turn him in as the person but the city wanted it notarized , so time I do not want to spend...

I just wanted to know if I really did have to give him up or not...

This morning I sent him an email saying for him to determine if he wants to pay it or fight it... if he wants to pay he can just pay it since the name really does not matter... if he wants to fight or ignore it, I will go and get the form notarized claiming him as the driver...
Old 10-09-2016, 12:32 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
We don't have camera tickets (yet) in Michigan. The whole idea seems Orwellian. Is the whole system run by a private contractor?
Every one of the ones I know of in California are run by a contractor. In CA, A sworn Peace Officer must review the freeze frame video for each ticket ( at least in theory ).

Using a real motor officer does a whole lot more to get a problem intersection back into self compliance. A motor officer can write several red light tickets per hour without any problem, except when the driver has a suspended lic. or no lic. ( a surprising high % in so-cal).

Drunk or drug impaired are the real cause of most serious intersection collisions. The red light ticket system does zero to combat this. A nearby city has them and I go out of my way to not do business with any merchant in that city.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:33 PM   #29
Recycles dryer sheets

Send them a picture of some cash, tell them to take what they need.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:49 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat58 View Post
Send them a picture of some cash, tell them to take what they need.
Been done. They sent back a picture of handcuffs.
Old 10-13-2016, 03:53 PM   #31
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt34 View Post
Been done. They sent back a picture of handcuffs.
Good one!

Retired in 2005 at age 58, no pension

REWahoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:03 PM   #32
Recycles dryer sheets

Note that in California those tickets are not considered like parking tickets. They're just like getting a ticket from a traffic cop. Points, fines, traffic school etc.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:39 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
Note that in California those tickets are not considered like parking tickets. They're just like getting a ticket from a traffic cop. Points, fines, traffic school etc.
Interesting. I would think that would not pass Constitutional muster because of not being able to question the accuser. Or maybe they summons someone from the company that installs/maintains the cameras?
Old 10-16-2016, 04:14 PM   #34
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcgonig View Post
One car pool on ramp I often used, was recently converted as a paid lane. One night, I got on it without knowing it had been changed. I got off quickly on the first exit.

Few days later, I received a $25 fine thru the mail. I paid it off but have not noticed any other ill-effect yet.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fh2000 View Post
One car pool on ramp I often used, was recently converted as a paid lane. One night, I got on it without knowing it had been changed. I got off quickly on the first exit.

Few days later, I received a $25 fine thru the mail. I paid it off but have not noticed any other ill-effect yet.

LOL... I did a similar thing on a new section of road... around here some (most?) of the toll roads have a feeder road (frontage for some) that you do not have to pay.... so, I make a turn since there was no sign saying that you would have to pay if you turned and.... no way out... have to get on... at an unmanned station...

Like you, I get a fine plus they want the toll.... I call and complain... they say there is nothing they can do... so I complain more and say I want to talk to a manager... manager does NOT want to get on the line... so I complain even more... finally the manager tells the clerk to waive the fine.... BUT, they still wanted their .45 or .50 cents toll... I paid by CC
Old 10-17-2016, 05:44 AM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.... I've often said that you only get what you insist on.
Old 10-17-2016, 07:18 AM   #37

They have speeding ticket cameras in Arizona. Thing is, they give you plenty of warning that a camera car is up ahead. Consequently, I have never received a ticket. It's really a ticket for not watching the road.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:41 PM   #38
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
LOL... I did a similar thing on a new section of road... around here some (most?) of the toll roads have a feeder road (frontage for some) that you do not have to pay.... so, I make a turn since there was no sign saying that you would have to pay if you turned and.... no way out... have to get on... at an unmanned station...

Like you, I get a fine plus they want the toll.... I call and complain... they say there is nothing they can do... so I complain more and say I want to talk to a manager... manager does NOT want to get on the line... so I complain even more... finally the manager tells the clerk to waive the fine.... BUT, they still wanted their .45 or .50 cents toll... I paid by CC
Good for you. Maybe you folks do things differently in Texas. In California, they need your money....