Red light camera 'ticket'

Have you considered asking your son to pay it? After all, it was him who broke the traffic law and got caught doing it. That's how it works with MY kids - for parking tickets, tolls, and any other infractions they cause. Never had a complaint - they have always fessed up.

+1. This was my thought.

When I was working I drove through one of the highest volume intersections in California. (Mira Mesa Blvd and Scranton for those of you familiar with San Diego). It had a red light camera. When it was first installed the contractor received about 80% of the revenues from tickets... And the contractor was alleged to be shortening the yellow light time to increase the number of tickets. A successful lawsuit about this resulted in the revenue distribution changing. The contractor was switched to a fixed price maintenance contract, and no longer had incentive to increase the revenues. It still generated plenty of tickets - because a lot of people run that intersection... but at least the yellow light duration was reasonable after the contractor was busted.

Have you considered asking your son to pay it? After all, it was him who broke the traffic law and got caught doing it. That's how it works with MY kids - for parking tickets, tolls, and any other infractions they cause. Never had a complaint - they have always fessed up.

OH YES.... I am not paying it..... (well, in reality I will be since he is in college and money is fungible and he is getting lots of money from us right now)... but I do want him to be responsible.... I actually did turn him in as the person but the city wanted it notarized :mad:, so time I do not want to spend...

I just wanted to know if I really did have to give him up or not...

This morning I sent him an email saying for him to determine if he wants to pay it or fight it... if he wants to pay he can just pay it since the name really does not matter... if he wants to fight or ignore it, I will go and get the form notarized claiming him as the driver...

We don't have camera tickets (yet) in Michigan. The whole idea seems Orwellian. Is the whole system run by a private contractor?

Every one of the ones I know of in California are run by a contractor. In CA, A sworn Peace Officer must review the freeze frame video for each ticket ( at least in theory ;)).

Using a real motor officer does a whole lot more to get a problem intersection back into self compliance. A motor officer can write several red light tickets per hour without any problem, except when the driver has a suspended lic. or no lic. ( a surprising high % in so-cal).

Drunk or drug impaired are the real cause of most serious intersection collisions. The red light ticket system does zero to combat this. A nearby city has them and I go out of my way to not do business with any merchant in that city.

Send them a picture of some cash, tell them to take what they need.

Note that in California those tickets are not considered like parking tickets. They're just like getting a ticket from a traffic cop. Points, fines, traffic school etc.

Note that in California those tickets are not considered like parking tickets. They're just like getting a ticket from a traffic cop. Points, fines, traffic school etc.

Interesting. I would think that would not pass Constitutional muster because of not being able to question the accuser. Or maybe they summons someone from the company that installs/maintains the cameras?

One car pool on ramp I often used, was recently converted as a paid lane. One night, I got on it without knowing it had been changed. I got off quickly on the first exit.

Few days later, I received a $25 fine thru the mail. I paid it off but have not noticed any other ill-effect yet.

One car pool on ramp I often used, was recently converted as a paid lane. One night, I got on it without knowing it had been changed. I got off quickly on the first exit.

Few days later, I received a $25 fine thru the mail. I paid it off but have not noticed any other ill-effect yet.

LOL... I did a similar thing on a new section of road... around here some (most?) of the toll roads have a feeder road (frontage for some) that you do not have to pay.... so, I make a turn since there was no sign saying that you would have to pay if you turned and.... no way out... have to get on... at an unmanned station...

Like you, I get a fine plus they want the toll.... I call and complain... they say there is nothing they can do... so I complain more and say I want to talk to a manager... manager does NOT want to get on the line... so I complain even more... finally the manager tells the clerk to waive the fine.... BUT, they still wanted their .45 or .50 cents toll... I paid by CC :greetings10:

Squeaky wheel gets the grease.... I've often said that you only get what you insist on.

They have speeding ticket cameras in Arizona. Thing is, they give you plenty of warning that a camera car is up ahead. Consequently, I have never received a ticket. It's really a ticket for not watching the road.

LOL... I did a similar thing on a new section of road... around here some (most?) of the toll roads have a feeder road (frontage for some) that you do not have to pay.... so, I make a turn since there was no sign saying that you would have to pay if you turned and.... no way out... have to get on... at an unmanned station...

Like you, I get a fine plus they want the toll.... I call and complain... they say there is nothing they can do... so I complain more and say I want to talk to a manager... manager does NOT want to get on the line... so I complain even more... finally the manager tells the clerk to waive the fine.... BUT, they still wanted their .45 or .50 cents toll... I paid by CC :greetings10:

Good for you. Maybe you folks do things differently in Texas. In California, they need your money....

Back
Top Bottom