Remember These Chain Restaurants ? They're Still Hanging On

I'm surprised no one mentioned Der Weinersnitzel
(now that's one that was easily recognizable by the building shape). did any survive?

more recently, we missed Bahama Breeze, which closed quite a few years ago but had some nice meals. (maybe there's some still open down south)

I saw a Der Weinersnitzel in Amarillo Texas a few years back...

Valle's (Steak House) 1933 to 2000.

I grew up in Braintree. MA. We had a Valle's nearby and it was THE place to go for special occasions. My spinster aunt would take me there for my birthday every year. Twin baked stuffed lobsters. Yum...

The one there eventually became a Hilltop steakhouse. Might be closed by now.

Lums - don’t remember much if it were any good or not but they served their food in red plastic baskets

I remember Lums!! Don't know why, just ordinary, or less, food.

Or maybe it was because they didn't card teenagers so well? Early 1970's.

Luther's. A decent bbq place, we lived out of town and when we would go into town for groceries we'd pick up 2 hot french breads and an order of bbq'ed brisket. Made great po-boys. But only 1 hot french bread would make it home, ahh the days when we could eat anything and everything!

Luther's. A decent bbq place, we lived out of town and when we would go into town for groceries we'd pick up 2 hot french breads and an order of bbq'ed brisket. Made great po-boys. But only 1 hot french bread would make it home, ahh the days when we could eat anything and everything!

They are alive and well in Texas.

I’m amazed Luby’s is still in business. But I drive by one every time to go to town,

I just remember being so shocked it was a hotdog place! I wanted a schnitzel!

I think there was one around here but it disappeared a couple of years ago?

There is one in Lake Havasu, Arizona

I miss Herfy's Burgers, Farrels Parlor, Shakey's Pizza, and a local Mexican joint called Ricardo's (best greasy taco around!). Thinking back, maybe these joints weren't all that great, but as a kid-------YUMMY!

Shakey’s Pizza was the best as I recall but that was 50 years ago[emoji39]

This doesn't quite qualify as a chain, but Mickey Rooney's one and only restaurant was certainly unique... :D

Last edited:
Burger Chef.

Liked them way more than Burger King or McD's, they had a works bar where you could make your flame broiled burger into a salad sandwich for free. Maybe that's why they failed?

I loved Shakey's. Reminded me of something else I loved around that time.

29143-albums233-picture1939.jpg
:smitten:

I had Shakey’s Pizza and Chicken in the Philippines when I vacationed there in 2014 ...still there. Is that Lynda Carter?

I think I would do a road trip to find a Stuckey's or an A&W with good root beer.
I have only been to Long John Silver's for the hush puppies. I am just 60 miles or so above the line where hush puppies are normal menu items.
Those of you who are nostalgic about .15 burgers or $6 lobster need to run the numbers through an inflation calendar. Any place with a dollar menu can beat the 680% inflation since 1967.
I don't remember a specific chain that is no longer around. I guess I didn't get out much in those years.

I think I would do a road trip to find a Stuckey's or an A&W with good root beer.
I have only been to Long John Silver's for the hush puppies. I am just 60 miles or so above the line where hush puppies are normal menu items.
Those of you who are nostalgic about .15 burgers or $6 lobster need to run the numbers through an inflation calendar. Any place with a dollar menu can beat the 680% inflation since 1967.
I don't remember a specific chain that is no longer around. I guess I didn't get out much in those years.
I ate at long john silver's when they opened a local place 40 plus years ago , got violently ill, never been back.

They uniquely steamed their hot dogs in beer. I think kids like me liked the idea of having a "beer dog" and be underage.

They uniquely steamed their hot dogs in beer. I think kids like me liked the idea of having a "beer dog" and be underage.

We had a Lum’s in Houston near where I lived at the time. I don’t remember it being anything special however...

Still miss the old Poppin' Fresh Pies, which was popular back in the upper midwest----believe it was eventually sold and later folded into what is now known at Bakers Square.

We used to refer to them as “Slums.”

What about Arthur Treachers Fish & Chips ?

Jr Hot Shoppes = Pappy Parker’s Fried Chicken.

This was a Marriott Chain in the DC area.

Marriott started with Hotbzdog Stands, branched into Hot Shoppes Restaurants, Cafeterias, and a fast food variation. Then converted their Jr. Hot Shoppes to Roy Rogers. Subsequently, their Roy Rogers were franchised to Hardee’s.
Many of the Hot Shoppes were closed and or became Bobs Big Boy.

Anyway, their experiment never worked and they stuck with their knitting - Hotels.

This may be just a NYC thing, but does anyone remember the Horn & Hardart Automats?

You walked into this cavernous room full of big tables and all the walls were filled with glass windows showing dishes. You put your nickels in the slot and opened the window to take out a hot meal, then took it to a table and ate it.

My personal favorite was a hot dog in a dish of baked beans.

Back
Top Bottom