Repairing flat on a TPMS tire

WanderALot

Full time employment: Posting here.
DW's car got a nail in the tire in the middle of tire. Before I take to to the local tire repair shop, I wanted to find out if it a TPMS-sensor equipped tire requires any sort of special care? Is the sensor something that is easily damaged while repairing a flat?

I dont think any special care is needed. I got a flat on my truck - it sensed low pressure. I got a new tire and nothing has happened since.

I have heard that you should not use fix-a-flat or similar stuff because these will damage the sensors

Don't worry about it. The sensor is attached to the valve inside the tire. It will reset when the tire is refilled and the car turned on.

you may want to read your user manual. With my car there is a reset button to press to calibrate the sensors when changes occur such as a new tire or a tire rotation.

It is important that when they run the bead breaker on the tire machine around the rim, that they don't hit the sensor. TPMS Sensors are not cheap, and require dismounting/remounting/rebalancing to change a damaged one out that is discovered later. If you took the car there, you could require that you see the car recognize the sensor on that wheel again, and that it's output is acceptable.

But if you bring the wheel in yourself, I would stand off to the side and watch the guy doing it.

I agree with Alan about the reset when making changes.

I. If you took the car there, you could require that you see the car recognize the sensor on that wheel again, and that it's output is acceptable.

How do you know when these conditions are satisfied? My subaru manual only says that the system will recognize if the sensor is missing by flashing the
TMPS light on the dashboard .

It also says when a tire is replaced, adjustments are necessary to ensure continued normal operation of the TMPS. I had a flat tire repaired. When the manual talks about a tire being replaced , do they mean a different tire being installed or do they mean even the same tire being reinstalled?

How do you know when these conditions are satisfied? My subaru manual only says that the system will recognize if the sensor is missing by flashing the
TMPS light on the dashboard .

There are two types of TPMS systems that use transmitting pressure sensors in the wheels.

The simplest system looks for 4 transmitters to exist, and each transmitter must report that it senses pressure over some minimum. It is not an exact sytem, just a go/no-go guide. If one or more sensors report pressure below the minimum, then a light gets turned on. Doesn't tell you which wheel(s), just that 1 or more are low. If it senses less than 4 transmitters, then it alerts the user to an error, like flashing the light.

So in the case of your Subaru, if the wheel was taken off the car to be worked on, then put back on, with enough air in the tire, then the system should see 4 transmitters reporting pressure above the minimum. That would verify that the transmitter in the wheel under repair was not damaged.

The fancier TPMS system has digital display locations for each tire, that read the actual pressure. So by looking at the display, the driver sees 4 sets of data: LF pressure, RF pressure, LR pressure, and RR pressure.
If these tires were then rotated around to even tread wear, then the data would appear in the wrong place, e.g., the dash display location for LF is actually now displaying the pressure in the tire that is now on the RR. So a reset/training procedure needs to be followed to retrain the dashboard system as to where each unique transmitter(wheel) ID really is.

It also says when a tire is replaced, adjustments are necessary to ensure continued normal operation of the TMPS. I had a flat tire repaired. When the manual talks about a tire being replaced , do they mean a different tire being installed or do they mean even the same tire being reinstalled?

That is probably a blanket statement about the system with respect to reset or training for a new sensor.

In both of these TPMS types, the dash system has been programmed to recognize 4 unique transmitter ID's, to avoid reading a car next to yours' wheels. So if a damaged sensor is replaced, the car needs to be retrained as to what sensor ID's it now has to look for.

Telly,

Thanks for your detailed and informative info. Are the sensors something that can be removed and reused if a new tire is installed.......if so, I assume for my subaru w/ the more primitive system, that nothing more needs to be done to retrain the sensor? Or are they normally replaced when you install a new tire?

Are the sensors something that can be removed and reused if a new tire is installed.......
Yes.

Had it done when I replaced the tires on my SRX (display shows four different tire pressures). They used the old sensors with no problem.

In my case, the front/rear wheels/tire sizes are different so I can never rotate the tires; don't have to worry about misplaced wheels...

We have a Honda Pilot. Had a flat about two years ago. Took it to Discount Tire, they fixed it free, and I never even thought about the sensor. No problems since the flat.

Thanks everyone. Had the tire repaired and fortunately, didn't have to mess with resetting the sensor.

Back
Top Bottom