Replacing a hot water heater yourself

I like the idea of saving $400 for an hour or 2 of work, and it's not a hard job so I'll happily do it. Maybe you're not into DIY, but if it was a different task that you were comfortable with that you could easily do it in an hour or 2 and save $400, wouldn't you do it?

Maybe . Years ago I would have said sure I would do it . I used to routinely fix my dishwasher , install lighting fixtures , paint , wallpaper , repair toilets , replace facets but now unless it is a really simple project I am not interested .

I also wonder why ? I imagine the plumbing company gets the heater cheaper than you will pay at Home Depot or Lowe's . Then you have to get it home and drag it into your house and connect the heater and dispose of the old heater . Why ? To save maybe $400 dollars . I got a new heater two years ago . The heater alone was over $500 and the bill was $750 .So worth It !

I've been quoted close to $1000 (for a not fancy heater).

I've been thinking of doing it myself for two reasons: I don't want to rely on people for things I can do myself and I am inherently cheap :)
Another major factor is the satisfaction of being able to do something myself, and to be independent. I've changed out lights, switches, outlets, and worked
on plumbing, stuff I never thought I could do....and it feels great after being successful at it.

Last edited:
Note if thinking about an electric tankless heater you will likley need to beef up your service entrance because it takes a lot of power to heat 2 gpm of water say 50 deg f.

We tried this in the house where I live when my folks first moved in in 1986 and the electric tankless unit did not have enough oomph to heat the water at all for the dishwasher, so out it went and in came a tanked unit to replace it.

I replaced a tankless unit and a solar preheat with a 40 gallon gas tank type.

The roof top solar tank heaters leaked and rotted my roof. The POS tankless unit did not like the low flow showerhead and I had to crack the hot water in the sink to keep the flow up so it wouldn't cycle and freeze me out. I cut the whole thing out and tossed it inna trash where it belonged.

Run hot water down the drain just to keep the heater on? We're really saving energy now. Absolute garbage.

How long ago was that? I had one in 2000 and that was a problem that I had.... but reading about the ones now the flow rate can be much less than the older ones...

replaced a water heater 6 months ago. measure the water heater to make sure your fittings will line up, get the copper flexible pipe and it was no problem. I think mine was 389 for the heater, about 20 for the flexible pipe. like everyone says the hardest part is moving in the new and out the old. easy job though. make sure you shut off the water and drain the tank, makes things a lot lighter to move. look on craigslist and someone will pick up the old one for scrap.

I've been quoted close to $1000 (for a not fancy heater).

I've been thinking of doing it myself for two reasons: I don't want to rely on people for things I can do myself and I am inherently cheap :)
Another major factor is the satisfaction of being able to do something myself, and to be independent. I've changed out lights, switches, outlets, and worked
on plumbing, stuff I never thought I could do....and it feels great after being successful at it.

Is that quote for the tank and labor? If tank and labor, I think you should buy the tank yourself and bid out the labor.
I agree with your reasons for wanting to do it yourself and have made similar arguments lots of times..........but in your original post you mentioned needing help to move the units into/out of position. Unless you have a really good helper, this is probably not the job to save $$$.

Don't forget to check with the local utility to see if they have any incentives.

When I looked into replacing my water heater, I noticed the hot and cold fittings on top of the new water heater were at different spacing from the old water heater. I couldn't find a new heater that matched. Plus the new one was a different height, I think. Anyway, I had to do a lot of measuring and planning and imagining, then went down to Home Depot to see if I could even find a shark bite that would twist into the right configuration to get the ends to line up with the copper pipes, and where would I cut the copper pipes? Geometry class all over again. I had to get long ones, so that I could get them to fit. A retired plumber who was working at a hardware store as a clerk offered to help me install it for $75. Nice guy, but I did it myself anyway. I agree the satisfaction is good. For me it's also just hating to be ripped off. I'm always agonizing about what to pay for and what to do myself, especially with my cars.

I got a new water heater a few years ago and it cost about $600 delivered and installed. For something that only needs to be done once a decade or so, I think it's worth paying someone who knows what they are doing and is more physically capable of doing the job. If you are a landlord who needs to replace them every year then it is worth learning how to do it yourself, otherwise I don't believe it is.

Note if thinking about an electric tankless heater you will likley need to beef up your service entrance because it takes a lot of power to heat 2 gpm of water say 50 deg f.

We tried this in the house where I live when my folks first moved in in 1986 and the electric tankless unit did not have enough oomph to heat the water at all for the dishwasher, so out it went and in came a tanked unit to replace it.

and i think the exhaust is different. I "think" is has to be stainless and is side vented not to vented

I was going to replace the rods, because it makes hot water but only a limited amount, enough to take a shower but not a bath, enough to wash dishes but not run the washing machine.

The thing is 24 years old, so it makes sense to replace it rather than repair it.

Friends acted like this. I drained it twice and so much crud came out it was able to work much better again. However 6 months later I had to help him replace it as it started leaking.
24 years old it's ready. I'd try it yourself, maybe get a handy man on Craigslist involved for the heavy lifting.

Friends acted like this. I drained it twice and so much crud came out it was able to work much better again. However 6 months later I had to help him replace it as it started leaking.
24 years old it's ready. I'd try it yourself, maybe get a handy man on Craigslist involved for the heavy lifting.

The only thing that makes me leery about getting some stranger off of Craigslist is that I am female and I live alone.

I generally replace every heater going out with a tankless unit. Takes little bit of plumbing upgrade and manifold install but no weight and same price if you buy unit from Lowe's. I have done 2 so far. I generally use solid cooper lines and sweat the joints with propane torch. I leave the old unit in place if it is in the attic!

The only thing that makes me leery about getting some stranger off of Craigslist is that I am female and I live alone.
I belong to Nextdoor, which is a neighborhood based forum. If I need help moving something, I offer cash for teenagers to come over and help. Often, I get offers to help for free. https://nextdoor.com/

My read on some of the new tankless gas water heater units is that they are designed to use the same venting as the hot water heater, the same gas supply, and are more efficient, less troublesome. Not looking to spend $2K on install. So far it looks that a proper unit, $250 in misc. attachements, etc. and it is a done deal. Doing more research though.

Yes, I also belong to Nextdoor and have been considering using it.
See is anyone wants to moonlight an installation for you. Around here people are always on the hustle for a tax free buck.

My read on some of the new tankless gas water heater units is that they are designed to use the same venting as the hot water heater, the same gas supply, and are more efficient, less troublesome. Not looking to spend $2K on install. So far it looks that a proper unit, $250 in misc. attachements, etc. and it is a done deal. Doing more research though.

I've heard that some tankless require yearly maintenance. But, that aside, the amount of heat lost from a regular tank is negligible and payback likely exceeds the life of the unit. I have an electric tank now, but used to have a gas HW tank. I remember my monthly gas bill in summer being $15 - $18...that includes heating the water and all of the heat loss from the tank. I don't know how much of that $15 - $18 was heat loss, but it couldn't have been very much. And, since I live in a winter climate, for part of the year the lost heat contributes to warming up the house and isn't really wasted.

Here is an in depth study that shows the annual savings from a tankless to be $42 at the low end to $121 at the high end:

Are Tankless Water Heaters a Waste of Money? | GreenBuildingAdvisor.com

Some tough love to OP:
Every reply I see from you shows the overwhelming logic of paying for the installation and removal. Other than "bragging rights" that you did it yourself, there are no other benefits. If you flat-out cannot afford the extra money to pay for the install, then you may not have a choice. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything to indicate you should do it yourself.

It's good to be wary. Do you have a trusted male friend or neighbor that would be willing to pop over on the occasion where you need to let a contractor into your home? I have done that in the past for single female friends, and once for my neighbor when her husband was out of town for work.

Some tough love to OP:
Every reply I see from you shows the overwhelming logic of paying for the installation and removal. Other than "bragging rights" that you did it yourself, there are no other benefits. If you flat-out cannot afford the extra money to pay for the install, then you may not have a choice. Otherwise, I haven't seen anything to indicate you should do it yourself.

It isn't a matter of "bragging rights", it's a matter of self confidence that I can take care of things my husband used to do. I can't run to someone else every time something on the property needs fixing. Although it's tempting! :) I've done more than I ever thought I was capable of, just by being willing to try.

It's good to be wary. Do you have a trusted male friend or neighbor that would be willing to pop over on the occasion where you need to let a contractor into your home? I have done that in the past for single female friends, and once for my neighbor when her husband was out of town for work.

If I have a licensed contractor, I don't think I would be too worried about it. Some unknown handyman off of Craigs list is another issue.

It isn't a matter of "bragging rights", it's a matter of self confidence that I can take care of things my husband used to do. I can't run to someone else every time something on the property needs fixing. Although it's tempting! :) I've done more than I ever thought I was capable of, just by being willing to try.
I think that it is great that you are willing to try. It is easy to sell yourself short, especially for women in our culture. Worst case, you hire someone, but if you know how it should be done, you have the upper hand in gauging the reasonable cost and finished quality of the work.

I think that it is great that you are willing to try. It is easy to sell yourself short, especially for women in our culture. Worst case, you hire someone, but if you know how it should be done, you have the upper hand in gauging the reasonable cost and finished quality of the work.

Agreed.

This also relates to the topics on "should I rent or buy" that often come up. I've always said that owning a house a lifestyle choice and money is only part of the equation. Those who own houses, unless they are very well off and happy to pay to fix everything, should know how to do basic repairs and renos...it can get expensive real fast if you have to call in a contractor or handyman to take care of every job that comes along. While replacing a water tank may not be a task that everyone wants to do, it's well within the skill level of a competent DIYer.

Well, here is an example as to why I want to try to be self sufficient and improve my handyman (woman?) skills.

Ran some errands today and got home to the sound of running water in the kitchen.
Uh-oh.
Water line from sink to ice maker in fridge had broken and was shooting out water at a pretty good pace and flooded the floor. Ruined the laminate floor (no loss, we had put it in as a temporary floor 15 years ago and just never did anything with it after that).

I knew where the water shut off line was (thank G-d!) and stopped the flood. Went to Home Depot and asked them how to fix it. Got part, cut out damaged section of line and took care of that problem.

Now an issue with the floor....floor damaged beyond saving, and afraid water underneath will cause mold or mildew. Just got done tearing out the old laminate floor and padding. Underneath was the old sheet vinyl that kept the water from going through into the ceiling in the basement. Going to let it dry out for a week (just to be sure!) and then put in a new floor. I've done it before, because I was willing to try. Actually pretty easy.

So the water heater is temporarily on hold until I take care of this mess (got to spread the expenses out a little) but again this shows why I want to learn to take care of problems myself. When you own a house, seems like there is always something that needs doing.

Oh, and if anyone has any suggestions about anything I need to do before I put in the new floor to prevent mold/mildew, please let me know :)

Last edited:
Just dry the floor. Rent a blower or two if you need. Any fan will work. Keep the AC on to get the humidity out of the house. Mold won't set in unless you keep the floor moist for extended period of time.

Back
Top Bottom