Tankless water heaters

Our 12 year old Takagi tankless water heater is still going strong. I'm a fan based on our experience.

We have a Takagi tankless water heater installed when we rebuilt in early 2012. It has been reliable although we did have to replace the core about 6 years ago.

Yesterday it stopped working, something to do with the gas (propane) valve. Cost to fix is about $2k but there are other potential issues in 11-1/2 year old unit. It seems that we are at a precipice where this unit will nickel and dime me to death over the next few years, so I decided to replace it at a cost of $8,444.

The cost may be lower because it is unclear if the 15% discount that I am eligible for was included or not. Meanwhile, we are showering at BIL's house.

Is $8,444 a typo? That seems awfully high?

Boy, having to replace the core at ~ year 5, and now looking to replace it all at 11 1/2 - well, to each their own, I would not be a 'fan' based on your experience (especially if that cost is correct)!

Heat-pump water heaters can' be installed in locations that can freeze , but I don't think traditional resistance heat models can't either. The heat-pump pull air from its installed location not outside air.

Pretty sure most standard tank units now have a 'vacation' mode setting, which keeps the water @ about 40 degrees, no freezing. But the pipes in/out would need some protection as well.

-ERD50

Boy, having to replace the core at ~ year 5, and now looking to replace it all at 11 1/2 - well, to each their own, I would not be a 'fan' based on your experience (especially if that cost is correct)!
-ERD50
That's why I'm a fan of regular tanks, they are simple and relatively inexpensive.

It costs me $600 or so and an hour of my time every 8 - 10 years to replace a failed tank.

Pretty sure most standard tank units now have a 'vacation' mode setting, which keeps the water @ about 40 degrees, no freezing. But the pipes in/out would need some protection as well.

-ERD50
Especially when an entire new unit runs from about $800-1600. $7000 worth of labor? I thought these were easy to replace in a few hours by a pro. Here's one in the mid range.

https://www.supplyhouse.com/AO-Smit...Ultra-Low-NOx-Indoor-Tankless-Water-Heater-NG

Last edited:
I think you guys are right and am getting some details on the estimate. They must have made a mistake somewhere.
didn't want to see you get hosed. Unless I'm missing something that seems awful high

I think you guys are right and I am getting some details on the estimate. They must have made a mistake somewhere.

If the contractor really does want over $8k to replace do you have the space for a 50 gallon, propane-fired, tank water heater?

https://www.drinking-water.org/heater/best/50-gallon/

At ~$1,000 for the Rheem model recommended (plus installation) the several thousand dollar difference would buy a lot of propane. :)

Last edited:
We have a Takagi tankless water heater installed when we rebuilt in early 2012. It has been reliable although we did have to replace the core about 6 years ago.

Yesterday it stopped working, something to do with the gas (propane) valve. Cost to fix is about $2k but there are other potential issues in 11-1/2 year old unit. It seems that we are at a precipice where this unit will nickel and dime me to death over the next few years, so I decided to replace it at a cost of $8,444.

The cost may be lower because it is unclear if the 15% discount that I am eligible for was included or not. Meanwhile, we are showering at BIL's house.

Wow. You can keep a lot of water warm even in a 50 gallon tank for $8444. What's a tank heater cost? My last one (12 years ago) was $375 installed. What's that now? Maybe a $Grand? YMMV

The original was installed when we rebuilt the house in 2011.

Funny thing. I called the vendor and told them that their numbers didn't look right and they revised the quote from $8,444 to $5,823... no details, just a single number and they expected me to accept it. I told them that I wanted to see the details on materials and labor and am waiting for that. I'm thinking it should be half of that or so.

In the meantime, I have another vendor coming at 11am to provide me with another quote.

To be clear, our setup is a little different. We don't have a boiler. This on-demand propane water heater heats the house (radiant in slab in walk out basement and hot water baseboard on the main floor) and also provides our domestic hot water. When we were living here year round and had the house heated to 68F in the winter the unit was running a lot. That s probably why the core wore out. Shortly after the core was replaced we changed to snowbirding we now only heat the houto 55F during the winter so the unit probably runs a lot less.

Just an update to this, after reading the electric vs gas dryer thread. I totally forgot that our summer natural gas bill is water heating, some minimal for the stove/oven (I haven't tried to guestimate that), but also the gas dryer. I'll very rough guess that at 4~5 hours a week, at 22K BTU, about 4.4 Therms a month, out of about 18 Therms total a month, so cost for water heating is a bit less than I was thinking, maybe $8~$9 out of the $11?

.....Our summer bill is $33, including gas stove. Most of that is a fixed $22.14 charge. Just $6,.56 for the gas, plus taxes, etc, but be generous and say $33.23-$22.14 = $11.09/month to heat water (and gas stove/oven). ...

The original was installed when we rebuilt the house in 2011.

Funny thing. I called the vendor and told them that their numbers didn't look right and they revised the quote from $8,444 to $5,823... no details, just a single number and they expected me to accept it. I told them that I wanted to see the details on materials and labor and am waiting for that. I'm thinking it should be half of that or so.

In the meantime, I have another vendor coming at 11am to provide me with another quote.

pb4uski - Did you get an update on the quote? Just curious.

-ERD50

Back
Top Bottom