Retired?

Disclaimer: I have no actual knowledge of any company's plans, do not speak for anyone, and have no investment bankings relationships...

But, what you do know is that the industry is entering another 're-invention' phase and your role may be surplus.

Now is the time to think ahead. Make copies of your old evaluations, contact lists and the like that will be valuable in the next phase of your life (once you know you will be terminated access to all that stuff in your office will not be possible). There is a reason for companies to offer retention bonuses, the need to keep the business going until THEY shut it down.

Change industries because this is an industry-wide situation. Consider who the next movers will be and job search there.

Merry Christmas from HFWR

Many have noticed the dramatic improvement in the S/N ratio the past couple of months. It seems that having been freed from the shackles of the cubical for 12hr/day leaves less time for [-]spewing [/-] pontificating... :p

Anywho, my last day at MegaConglomoCorp was Halloween (oddly enough), and since then, I've been a living example of "how'd I ever find time to work?". I've been crossing items from the [-]doo-doo[/-] to-do list that went undone for eight years of weird hours, and just generally being a lazy slug.

Unfortunately, FireCalc says I must return to gainful employment, or else get used to a budget that would rival unclemick's infamous "Year of the Cheap Bastard", only EVERY year... :'(

Come on, Mr. Market... :angel:

Unfortunately, FireCalc says I must return to gainful employment, or else get used to a budget that would rival unclemick's infamous "Year of the Cheap Bastard", only EVERY year... :'(

Come on, Mr. Market... :angel:

So are you going to give the unclemick's method a try before you head back to the salt mines?

Thanks for the update....I was wondering about your situation....funny how people that work have a lot more time to post here;) what was UM's budget? 12k or so a year:eek:

So are you going to give the unclemick's method a try before you head back to the salt mines?

Well, we'll see what the job search I'll be starting next week brings. I'd be locking myself into a pretty meager lifestyle, or withdrawing a dangeruosly large %, if I go nekkid now.

Though the thought of returning to w*** is physically and mentally repulsive... :dead:

I figured you weren't around as much because you weren't stuck in the cube. Hope your search goes well and goes fast. Once you get into the routine of a new job odds are it won't be as repulsive as you think.

HFWR, how long have you been living the life of leisure? How will you spin it about why you having been w**king for awhile?

[Never mind. It's early for us still-working stiffs. You put it in the post. I didn't see.]

A year or 2 ago, GM announced several plant closings. My sis-in-law's brother worked at one of these plants in Oklahoma City. His contract is still alive however so he goes in everyday and does absolutely nothing. He goes to 'work' and plays on the internet all day long. I think it runs out in the fall of 2008. He was planning on retiring at about this age anyway so it worked out for him.

Too bad you didn't have this situation. Getting paid to do what many of us do here everyday. :-\ Good luck with your job search!

Glad to hear from you HFWR. I had been wondering where you were off to....

Although you would have preferred to just stay put where you were until FIRE, you're going to land on your feet just fine.

What kind of alternative strategies, in addition to the normal job search, have you mulled over? Part time? Contracting? New career direction? Hoosier-land calling?

Purdue plays Central Michigan tonight in the Motor City Bowl.

Keep us posted.

A year or 2 ago, GM announced several plant closings. My sis-in-law's brother worked at one of these plants in Oklahoma City. His contract is still alive however so he goes in everyday and does absolutely nothing. He goes to 'work' and plays on the internet all day long. I think it runs out in the fall of 2008. He was planning on retiring at about this age anyway so it worked out for him.

Too bad you didn't have this situation. Getting paid to do what many of us do here everyday. :-\ Good luck with your job search!

I spent most of this year doing just that... Even I can't constructively loaf that much... :p

Glad to hear from you HFWR. I had been wondering where you were off to....

Although you would have preferred to just stay put where you were until FIRE, you're going to land on your feet just fine.

What kind of alternative strategies, in addition to the normal job search, have you mulled over? Part time? Contracting? New career direction? Hoosier-land calling?

Purdue plays Central Michigan tonight in the Motor City Bowl.

Keep us posted.

"Indiana wants me, lord I can't go back there..."

Thankfully, between severence pay, vacation pay, and my emergency fund, I could [-]goof-off[/-] survive for 2-3 years without blinking. I just hate to spend that down at this point.

It IS good to have options...

I spent most of this year doing just that... Even I can't constructively loaf that much... :p
I hear ya..... I spent my last few months at MegaCorp diddling around killing time. It eventually got on my nerves. I even found myself helping work buddies with some of their tasks just for grins.
Thankfully, between severence pay, vacation pay, and my emergency fund, I could [-]goof-off[/-] survive for 2-3 years without blinking. I just hate to spend that down at this point.
You haven't mentioned collecting unemployment. If you qualify, be sure to get that rolling right away. I collected for six months after being RIF's, despite having zero intention of ever working again, and it was sweet money.
It IS good to have options...

If working at a "real" job for a while longer is your intention/need, I'd get that job search into gear big time.....and quickly. Don't let anything interfere for a while. If, and only if, you might discover the job search to be futile, consider part time, alternative careers and that sort of thing.

My ancedotal observation during RIF's at my MegaCorp was that younger buddies that needed to find work were most successful when they got to it in earnest right away. We had fairly generous severance packages and, unfortunately for some, that gave them enough rope to hang themselves.

Of course, strictly anecdotal.......

Maybe now's the time to follow a new path........I did it 10 years ago, and it worked.........:)

Me too

Same thing happened to me. Megacorp job was offshored to India. My last real work day was Oct 18 and last day as active employee was last Friday.

At first, my reaction was to freak out a little since I had planned to work at least two more years before retiring. Then I started to let myself "feel" how much I detested my job and the company for which I worked. Once that sunk in I knew I needed a change. I had the option of looking for another job within the company, but didn't bother to. My manager even emailed late Nov or early December to let me know about a job and said she would recommend me for the position. To my own surprise, I wasn't the least bit interested. Then I knew for sure I had really had enough of being used up by a company that at any moment could/would/did dump me. I made a bit over $100K per year, but it wasn't worth it. I have no regrets and I've decided to go ahead and retire, have less, live simply (as we have been doing) and in a year, or so, will return to some kind of work, but only part-time.

Being laid-off was a blessing. My job was killing me. Sometimes it takes something extreme to make you realize that you need a change. That's what it took for me.

I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, it will all work out. Everyone I've know who has been laid off has ended up in a better situation. Good luck!

I'm sure that whatever you decide to do, it will all work out. Everyone I've know who has been laid off has ended up in a better situation.

Not always. There are a lot of underemployed people out there. They make it, but with a whole lot less glitter in their lives.

Back
Top Bottom