Retirement Communities

ohfrugalone

Recycles dryer sheets
Not really sure where to post this so...

In the past two months, I have been getting postcard advertisements from a new retirement community with a grand opening (which I have been graciously invited to) on Sunday. I get them three to four times a week.

Considering I am 50 years old - I guess I am a bit taken aback.

Should I go on Sunday, and ask to see the 300 square foot apartment for $1600 a month? They provide 3 meals a day, so should I ask if they will pack my lunch for work? They also have a shuttle. Perhaps they would take me to work, and pick me up everyday. Maybe that would make the $1600/month room more worth it.

This is like my health insurance company sending me medigap ads when I was 40. How do I get on these lists?

Should I go on Sunday, and ask to see the 300 square foot apartment for $1600 a month?

Yes, of course, go and be glad you have other options. Those places scare the bejesus out of me. I visited a client at an upscale retirement apt. complex, the living room was soooo small & windowless, made my 95-year-old studio look extra spacious, airy and sunny.

Interesting about the mailing list. How do they find out people have turned 50 and send out all the AARP stuff? Years ago when we were first dealing with mom's issues I subscribed to the AARP magazine because I was curious about what she was reading. I must have been about 30 at the time but lied about my age declaring myself 87. When I stopping renewing, all the old-foggy mailings stopped also.^-^

You assume that they are targeting you so they can sell you the service (for yourself)... I don't think so!

They are targeting you since you may be making decisions for a parent, aunt, uncle, or in-law. You are at that age when parents need help. They are marketing to someone (you) that might make the decision or influence a decision... not the ultimate consumer of the service.

Back
Top Bottom