Retirement Party

FI@35

Dryer sheet aficionado
I had an interesting evening Friday night. My DW and I attended my FIL's retirement party. My mom and FIL kept introducing us to people and telling them we were also going to retire in the next year. You can imagine the looks on their faces. The hard part was how to explain how we can retire at such a young age in a brief discussion with someone you just met. I think it takes at least a 30 minutes to really explain to someone. Anyway, we got lots of practice.

The other part of the evening that was interesting is that my mom and FIL seemed eager to tell people about our early retirement. For the past few years they have been a little reserved when we talk about retiring in a few years. Now it seems they have come to accpet it and even embrace it. They are going to full-time RV for the majority of the year and now ask us when we are going to get an RV and join them.

Have any other young retires or soon-to-be young retires had the experience of attending a retirement party for their parents? If yes, did it feel a little strange?

I have heard about retirement parties but I have never attended one. It seems that when you get fired or layed off that they do not usually throw a big shindig for you and give you a gold watch. ;)

Are gold watches still the ultimate retirement gift?

I don't know the gift protocol. My FIL worked for the government for 35+ years so the retirement parties are common in his dept as all of his peers have also been with the government for that long.

I worked for my last company for 7 years, saved them over $12 million in renegotiating half a dozen vendor relationships, and all I got was a cake and a $100 gift card when I left. I understand the cake was only because my team complained that my boss wasn't even going to do anything. My current job is as a consultant so I work alone at the clients and don't have much interaction with the other consultants. So I'm not expecting any kind of retirement party.

I guess things are different now that people don't typically work at the same place their whole career.

Back
Top Bottom