Retirement/Work Quotes...

Redbugdave

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Heard any good ones?

I'll start first...one of my favorites...

"I'm glad I did it, partly because it was worth doing, but mostly because I'll never have to do it again"....Mark Twain

I always liked `The worst part about being retired is that you know longer appreciate weekends or holidays as you did before. But, the best part is that EVERY day is like a weekend or holiday.'

I said this to a few people when they comments about my being too young to retire (at 45, back in 2008). "They say youth is wasted on the young. I say retirement is wasted on the old!"

Another one I have said just before and since I have ERed: "I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"

Two lines from Seinfeld also come to mind (I may not have them exactly right but you get the idea....):

George: "Compound interest, it's like making money by not doing anything."

Jerry: "I know people who live their whole lives that way."

George: "Oh yeah? Who?"

Jerry (with a funny expression): "Nobody you know...."

And this little gem....

Kramer: "I'm retiring!"

Jerry: "From what?"

LOL

My favorite:

"You should not confuse your career with your life.” ― Dave Barry.

I work with a lot of people who seem to be 100% identified with their career - and don't have a life/interests outside of work.

"Good-by tension, hello pension!"

[FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]"Don't simply retire from something; have something to retire to."[/FONT]

"I used to think I wanted a career. Now I realize I just wanted a paycheck."

How about "Take this job and shove it" - Johnny Paycheck

"Good-by tension, hello pension!"

That little one really made me laugh...I guess because it rhymes, too.

Here's another one I like...
"It's a pity to waste your life living the same tiny day over and over again"...James Taylor

A co-worker said this to me today upon hearing I was retiring in a few months:

"You don't look old enough to retire. You still have a lot left in you."

My reply:

"Yes, and I'll use what's left in me to pursue my life's passions. Work is not one of my passions."

"Goodbye tension, hello pension."

"Life begins at retirement."

This >>>
61pmbPT-kKL._SX385_.jpg

I used this quote at my retirement ceremony to explain why I was retiring early:

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover."
Mark Twain

Back
Top Bottom