Reusable Furnace Filter?

We use at most 2 per season. Why are you running through so many filters?

I like the filter to be near white if possible so I can see the accumulation.

I buy 6 packs off the internet, change 'em every 3 months. Not going to clean furnace filters.

It is MERV 8, which is enough to protect your air handler. It's electrostatic, which means it does a good job of holding particles that have a charge, less good on other stuff/

To remove smaller dust, etc you'd need a finer filter. If you've only got room for a 1" thick filter, then going to a MERV 12+ filter means more load on your fan and more frequent filter changes. The "media" filters that are 4-5" thick last 6-12 months and can be MERV12+ (I change ours every 6 months) and still not bog down the airflow very much (just due to the larger filter area).

I suppose it depends on your climate and perhaps the dust in the area you live.

I just checked ours and it was overdue for a change. So thanks. I need to create a reminder next season to change around December or January.

I don't reuse but change the filter every 90 days. Running the AC February- December. In January the heat maybe comes on 2x a week for an hour a day. In Florida.

Was told by several different sources, buy cheap ones and replace often.

We have unusual size air intakes where the filters are placed. The filters were often out-of-stock at local big-box stores and expensive at about $5 each. So 25 years ago we bought Boair washable filters and never looked back.

Guess what? They easily trap all the stuff that "Furnace guy" said are not trapped. One can see this when they are cleaned. They actually trapped MORE than the disposable filters.

To clean my filters, I use a vacuum with roller brush to get the big stuff, then a power washer to clean through and through. Yes, the filters are not fragile and I can throw them on carpet and just vacuum them like they were carpet.

And my HVAC utility bills are low and unchanged over many years.

Last edited:
Ok , just time consuming. Wash, rinse, drip dry, then re -install, and run the furnace 20 minutes to remove all residual moisture . I'm too lazy.

Can you find exact size ? I'm no fan of adjustable frames, they usually create paths for air to bypass the filter media.

I usually buy multi packs of mid grade 3M pleated filters online , about $6 ea. Same filters at home depot are like $13

Last edited:
We use 6 filters for the two HVAC systems in our house. These disposable filters are generally overpriced and the washable ones that I’ve seen protect the system but don’t do much for air quality. I decided to use hours of fan operation to trigger filter changes. Our t-stats have filter minder alerts built in. I adjust the alert setting based on the condition of the filters after x hours. The change interval was reduced from 90 days to approx 120 days based on 600-800 hrs of fan operation. I buy the merv8 filters in bulk online.

We use at most 2 per season. Why are you running through so many filters?

I like the filter to be near white if possible so I can see the accumulation.
Furnace guy recommended 1 change/month. I doubled it.

So what is the filter like after 2 months? Ours seem to last the entire season, when I check them mid-season, I generally just put 'em back, maybe knock them on the floor to clear any little build up.

This isn't a calendar thing, it's a condition thing. Change them when they are getting some build up. Any more is a waste. Plus, I suspect a slightly dirty filter does a slightly better job - the little hairs and stuff will pick up more of the dust going by, it acts like a filter too.

-ERD50

You can always find deals on filters on slickdeals. We just bought 15 filters for our downstairs handler...and 15 for the upstairs handler. Sadly they're different sizes. I think the price came to around $4/filter. With house renovations...we have been changing them every 2 months at most.

The one I used had to be cut to proper size and washed every so often. Then it just seemed nasty after the first wash and a good place for bacteria and fungal growth especially during the humid summer months in Florida. Reminded me of the unsanitary (regardless of what they say) public washroom blow dryers. After one use for a couple of months I went back to high quality throw away filters.

Cheers!

Buy a box of correct size filters from Amazon or Tru value. Change every two months. Reusable might be an option when I have more free time.

My problem is I can't find a filter in my size. (15x25) I like the idea of a trimmable size!

We replace ours every 4 months, and it’s not visibly very dirty. I assume it depends on your unique “fresh air.” I bought a reusable filter years ago and used it for a while, but it’s sitting in the basement gathering dust (pun intended). It looks much more porous than disposable filters, it’s a dark green so it would be hard to know when to change it, and I’d never know how clean I was getting it.

... What do you think (vs. $5 every two months)?
Well, if I brought one of these filters to your house every two months and offered you $5 to clean it, would you take the deal?

We just use Merv 2 fiberglass filter and change monthly - Buy a dozen a year on sale for $.70 each. Less than $10 a year total and takes less than a minute to change on the first of each month.

My Mom had a reusable filter and hated it--too much time washing/rinsing/drying and reinstalling. didn't seem cost/time effective for me.
We buy the high MERV rated ones for pollens/allergens and change every 3 months. Worth it to me due to allergies.

Things might have changed over the years and have not looked into one of these since throwing out the last one that was given to me by the Mfr. to evaluate. This was the 2nd type of reusable one I evaluated, and it had washable plastic media that was of the electrostatic stye (1st one I evaluated was a cleanable metal media that you spray with fish oil for arrestance after cleaning). Used it for a few months and cleaned it once or twice as I recall. Observed it causing my furnace to short cycle and promptly tossed it. This is when your furnace trips on high limit and shuts off the burners to cool itself down before restarting the burners - while trying to satisfy the thermostat setting. You "do not" want this to be happening.

Electrostatic filters (at least the one I had) start with a new clean media that builds up static pressure over time due to the dirt/dust it traps. This causes the fan to be slowed down due to observed higher external static pressure (ESP). After cleaning it the first time - it will be starting at a higher static pressure drop than when new. The higher the static pressure, the more energy is consumed by the fan trying to overcome that ESP. It also causes a leaving air temperature rise (or fall in cooling).

You want to maintain your originally set fan air speed as close as possible to avoid this scenario - possibly causing your furnace/air handler to short cycle/overheat (high limit trips), premature fan motor and/or controls failure, or A/C (compressor) failure due to low fan speed. All systems have safeties built it to protect themselves from these scenarios, but you'd be wise not to bring about HVAC repair bills for premature system failures.

Throw away filters are the cheapest and best approach to to avoid trouble. I buy mine at Home Depot and they run about $7-8 for a three package. Don't buy the flimsy cheap ones you can see through - they catch very little dust. Change them at least 3-4 times/yr.

And don't get me started on electronic air cleaners, or HEPA style. Electronic air clnrs and HEPAs are expensive to purchase, as well as maintain. Electronic air clnrs weaken over time, and their ability to work properly is hampered (they also are known to cause ozone odor called smelly sock syndrome). HEPAs (large pleated filters, where replacements are bought through your HVAC installer) will experience high ESP if not maintained - just like the cheaper T/A ones you need to replace on a regular basis (only HEPA replacements are not cheap...).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom