RIP Owsley Stanley

Read "The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test" by Tom Wolfe to get a feel for Owsley.

And I think we should all suck on a little square of blotter paper in his memory.

His name was synonymous with quality. I remember orange double domes being touted as "genuine Owsley." But he was probably in jail at the time.

Yea, pretty far out times...I'm glad I survived...I am still best of friends with my roommate from the late 60's. It is very special to have been young then.

"If you can remember the 60's, you weren't there."

I was there. I can remember most of them.

Button down shirt/tie, en-ga-neer, Seattle, When he pssst plastics in the Graduate, I went pssst Titanium and go team beat those dang Ruskies. SST in this case.

Didn't elevate till the 70's - mile high Denver listening to John Denver.

heh heh heh - I'm sooo old I felt like the last of the beer generation in college. :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: ;).

Uh, no; unless you define "young" as a pre-teen, IMHO :whistle: .

http://www.history.com/images/media/interactives/1968guide.pdf

As an example. I highly recommend it as a snapshot of one of the more "dark" years of the decade - one that I survived.

I was in my late teens. I focused on the arts and the music. At the same time I worked myself through college billing insurance for a hospital. So, I kept one foot in "reality," while I witnessed incredible and interesting goings on around me.

I'll toss out one of my favorite stories.

I was at Woodstock.

OK, here's the rest of the story:

I was in the Air Force, stationed in Syracuse, NY. I had gone home to Brooklyn to hang out with my friends one weekend, and I heard about Woodstock going on. When I found out where it was, I got excited, because it wasn't far out of my way when I returned to Syracuse, so on Sunday I headed back earlier than usual. Needless to say, it was a fairly rotten day, and I had to leave the car fairly distant and hike to the actual festival site. By the time I got to the edge of it, things were decidedly weird and miserable, due to the weather, so I simply turned around, hiked back to the car, and continued to Syracuse.

But the point is ...

I WAS AT WOODSTOCK !!!

Well, sort of.

I'll toss out one of my favorite stories.

But the point is ...

I WAS AT WOODSTOCK !!!

Well, sort of.

I get it. I was in Lincoln Park in Chicago in 1968 during the Democratic Convention. But I was there in the day and afternoon and just had a good time in the park hanging out with the people there. Then I left and went home and was surprised to see the troubles on the exact spot where I had been just an hour & a half earlier. But I WAS THERE, I get to say.

I get it. I was in Lincoln Park in Chicago in 1968 during the Democratic Convention. But I was there in the day and afternoon and just had a good time in the park hanging out with the people there. Then I left and went home and was surprised to see the troubles on the exact spot where I had been just an hour & a half earlier. But I WAS THERE, I get to say.
I have a similar story. I did make it for the evening festivities at Lincoln Park on Tuesday when we were gassed and pushed into Old Town (what an idiot's move that was). But on Wednesday (I think it was) I was at the Grant Park Bandshell all day for the various speeches, the police movement to restore the flag, etc. Then we started a march and a police line stopped the whole group heading north on Columbus Ave (IIRC) for hours. I assumed we were going nowhere and walked out along Lake Shore Drive. I got home and turned on the TV to learn that the police had (effectively) opened one bridge directly to the Hilton and had funneled everyone over there (another idiot's move). So I technically missed the "the whole world is watching" episode but I WAS THERE so to speak. :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom