RIP Roy Halladay

Dash man

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Died in a small plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico. A great pitcher and a great guy.

RIP. He was a fan favourite with the Jays. He had a great season with the Phillies in 2010.

A sure hall of famer. He came back for a one day contract with the Jays so he could retire a Jay too.

Say him pitch in person many times. A great, cool headed professional who took a lot of younger pitchers under his wing.

RIP Doc.

:(

Big shock, for sure.

I think he's pretty much been considered on the edge for the Hall of Fame. I think he probably belongs, but may not be on the first ballot, so, not a sure thing.

It would be nice if the thread title could reflect the correct spelling of his name: Halladay.

Big shock, for sure.

I think he's pretty much been considered on the edge for the Hall of Fame. I think he probably belongs, but may not be on the first ballot, so, not a sure thing.

It would be nice if the thread title could reflect the correct spelling of his name: Halladay.

Autocorrect. It’s fixed

Didn't Catfish Hunter exit stage right in a similar manner some years back ?

Didn't Catfish Hunter exit stage right in a similar manner some years back ?
You're probably thinking of Thurman Munson, who was still an active player when his plane went down. Catfish had ALS and died after a fall.

Saw him pitch in high school in the Denver area. Kid could bring it even back then! Should join Gossage as the only other Coloradan in HOF if you ask me.

You're probably thinking of Thurman Munson, who was still an active player when his plane went down.

"Some years back"? Munson died in 1979. Maybe he meant Roberto Clemente.

Roy Halladay was a great pitcher. I'd vote for him for the HOF. And more importantly, it seems he was a great person, too. RIP.

Last edited:
Two time Cy Young award winner and 8 time All Star. I'd say he is pretty close to a lock for the HoF.

Last time I was at the HoF, one of the curators was telling us what a zoo induction weekend is. I'd be willing to give it a go when they induct Doc though.

Note to self. Do not get pilots license and fly small airplanes as a hobby when retired.

I want a very low chance of perishing while doing my hobbies.

Sad story. Reminds me of deaths of Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, and John Denver.

I think he will make the hall of fame first vote due to his perfect game and no hitter in the playoffs. He was lights out in his prime and one of my favorite pitchers to watch. Sounds like he was well liked in his community and a volunteer for public service.

Note to self. Do not get pilots license and fly small airplanes as a hobby when retired.

This model of plane is new, very few are sold, he had #1 and there have been 3 crashes with it, one killing 2 of the company workers.

The company will have a harder time making sales now.
It is a cool plane, lands on land and water, wings fold up so you can store it in the garage and take it down to the boat launch to fly, no airstrip needed.

I always joke to DW I'll start skydiving when I'm 90 as it's too risky for me :flowers:

My plane was hangared next door to ICON's initial flight test HQ in the hills of SoCal. I watched them build and fly numerous prototypes prior to their move to Vacaville. As a retired career aviator I had a few observations.
1. This company hired some very smart engineers and composite fabricators. The quality of their work was topnotch.
2. It takes serious gusto and confidence in a vision to start an aircraft company. Despite numerous delays, they finally started delivering to customers. I cannot imagine being an investor. Talk about high risk.
3. Their sales campaign always concerned me. Offering a flight deck similar to a luxury car and sort of downplaying the challenge of operating a small aircraft from the water sent a chill down my spine. In my opinion, a newly minted pilot should focus on fixed wing land ops for a good chunk of time before venturing in to water ops. Too many variables for inexperienced pilots often lead to task saturation and accidents.
Hopefully ICON can weather this bad stretch, but I would not bet on it.

Sad story. Reminds me of deaths of Roberto Clemente, Thurman Munson, and John Denver.
Payne Stewart too. Not that I much care much for golf, but it's all-time fashion plate. Seemed a great guy too.

Eh oh. I am doing just that. And it is an experimental, home built one.

My plane was hangared next door to ICON's initial flight test HQ in the hills of SoCal. . . .
3. Their sales campaign always concerned me. Offering a flight deck similar to a luxury car and sort of downplaying the challenge of operating a small aircraft from the water sent a chill down my spine. In my opinion, a newly minted pilot should focus on fixed wing land ops for a good chunk of time before venturing in to water ops. Too many variables for inexperienced pilots often lead to task saturation and accidents.
And their marketing highlighted not just water ops, but flying at high speed at low altitude for the thrill of it. It takes just a moment of inattention or distraction--if a wingtip touches the water, the "game" is over. People who want to dash around at high speed really close to the water should get a jet ski or boat.

Eh oh. I am doing just that. And it is an experimental, home built one.

Me, too. Sure, there are no guarantees and things could end badly, but it is a safe hobby if pursued with an eye toward safety.

At least don't fly them recklessly, which according to witnesses is what Halladay was doing.

Well, what is "low?"

The stats are that flying light airplanes involves approximately the same danger as riding motorcycles on the street.

The big difference is this: 80% of flying accidents are attributed to pilot error or pilot misjudgment. On a bike on the street, the majority of accidents are out of the rider's control. So the takeaway is this: A careful pilot is a safe pilot.

I am commercial/instrument rated with over 1,000 hours and over 130 airports in my logbook --- absolutely problem free. I recently let my medical go because I had not been flying often enough to maintain proficiency, particularly under instrument conditions.

I don't know anything about the Halladay accident but I'm sure the pilot boards will be discussion the aircraft type. It was in a new category called "light sport" where FAA regulation has been loosened. "Light" can also mean "hard to fly." I have flown just one LSA and didn't like the feeling at all.

And, as has been pointed out, the advertising for that aircraft verged on criminal.

Well, what is "low?"
e
So the takeaway is this: A careful pilot is a safe pilot.
It goes back to the saying: There are old pilots and there are bold pilots, but there are no old bold pilots.

I have about the same level of experience as Old shooter, but am flying quite a bit after retirement.
Next year I can join the United Flying Octogenarians.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom