Rotating Flavorizer Bars

Indexter

Recycles dryer sheets
Just set up my Weber gas grill for the season (getting all the parts out from the box I put them in last fall). Some of the flavorizor bars are much more rusted than the others, and I'd like to rotate them so that they all rust out at the same time.

Do you think that the ones over the burner rust out most, or the ones near the center that get dripped on more:confused:

Funny you wrote this.
DW just announced that she wants the new bars - old are rusted.
We had the Weber Spirit since 2000 and it's in use year around.
The most rusted bars are in the front, where we typically grill our stuff.
We rarely use the back burners and the bars there are considerably less rusty.

304 stainless steel...

044376277970_3.jpg

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
304 stainless steel...

044376277970_3.jpg

I just put one of those together for the FIL a few weeks ago. If I recall, some of the grill surfaces are cast iron-like material and not stainless steel (could have been a little bit different model though).

Cute n Fuzzy Bun'ny said:
304 stainless steel...
Used in the finest-quality naval nuclear propulsion high-pressure primary piping systems...

justin said:
I just put one of those together for the FIL a few weeks ago. If I recall, some of the grill surfaces are cast iron-like material and not stainless steel (could have been a little bit different model though).

Mines 100% stainless. I used to buy "throwaway" cheap grills and toss them every 3-4 years instead of replacing the grills and burners (and cleaning them out :p), decided to get this one and keep it a while. Its pretty easy to clean.

Stainless flavorizing bars are available for Weber grill too (standard ones are "porcelain coated steel"). About $50 vs. $25 for my grill (Spirit 550).
Nevertheless, you can trust trust "old sailor" about one thing: stainless steel isn't ;)

Thanks guys. I think I'll get another season or two out of these (gotten seven seasons so far!). I can't see any disadvantage to the rust, since the food doesn't touch them.

I'm impressed with the Weber Spirit. The igniter rusted out after one season, and I've needed to do some repainting, but it works as well as it did when we bought it.

Tip Concerning Propane Tank: When the tank is too rusty to use anymore, you can exchange it at one of those places for people who don't want to bother with refilling their tanks.

Indexter said:
Tip Concerning Propane Tank: When the tank is too rusty to use anymore, you can exchange it at one of those places for people who don't want to bother with refilling their tanks.

Also a good way to get rid of tanks that have the "old style" valve on them...

Eight bucks is pretty cheap. I just had mine refilled at uhaul earlier this week for $14 a pop.

Rust is good for you. Nothing like a good iron supplement...

Yep...there you are...it was under ten bucks for me last year too. When i paid the bill I started doing the calculations for how expensive grilling is getting... :p

The house I bought 4 years ago had a built in grill. The grill was rusted very badly and after a few uses the valves leaked enough to catch fire. I tried to find parts to repair it but the grill was over 12 years old and no old parts were available. I am too cheap to buy a whole new grill so I am using my 10 year old Weber that I have rebuilt 3X so far. I guess someday I will "invest" in a replacement built in but it has to fit the available space in the built in island (tile and brick) after the Weber dies again. I just don't want to pay the $XXXX it will cost to do that. But....the empty island looks pretty stupid so we keep it covered. Someday I guess.... ::)

Back
Top Bottom