Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks

Re: Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks

Rustic23 said:
I surprised this has not been said. So, if you are for firing Imus for the stupid things he said, and apologized for, are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I don’t watch either, so I could care less.

I vote that it will depend on the ratings! Follow the Money!

I don't think he needs to be fired. Free speech and all. Id rather see the viewers dictate what happens by turning him off or keep on watching.

Imus has spoken before about his previous substance abuse problems. So, he's got a "get out of jail free" card for this remark--he just has to say that he was back on the sauce and check into rehab. Rehab's the ticket these days, doncha know!! Limbaugh, Brittany, congressmen, senators. Individual responsibility is so 1950's!

If he doesn't take ths way out, I'll think more of him.

Tonight on Glenn Beck (also not my fav but entertaining on some levels) Al Sharpton was a guest. He did not have a whole lot to say about the lyrics that Beck read from songs/recordings of the current hip-hop/rappers. They are exceedingly rude and crude to put it politely. Sharpton says the FCC needs to work on that but Imus needs to be fired and removed from the airways. Looks like the knife only cuts one way by Al. What great role models the entertainment industry is... And yes, I do remember the drugs, sex & rock &roll era, but I do not recall the filth from the mouth that is currently being produced.

My follow the money theory works for the foul mouthed rappers too.

I don't give a twit about their race, sex or politics. I am fed up and I hope may other listeners are too. Cut them off at their pocket books!! Don't patronize their advertisers.

Imus is not even original. I saw a late-night infomercial for the Mophead Hose.

For those messes that require a lot of mopping up...

I had never seen or heard Imus before this incident was aired on the news. I knew the name, and knew he was a 'shock jock', I never had any interest to know more.

To me, it's not about whether he should be fired or not, or whether sponsors will pull their advertising or not. My question is, why would any sponsor want to be associated with someone like this in the first place. I know, I know, chase the money. But, when you know someone's 'job' is to insult people - wouldn't advertisers of mass market products just want to stay away?

I just don't get why AMEX or Sprint would think that is a good place to advertise.

This AM, on GMA, Larry Elder was interviewed on the subject. He didn't understand why Al Sharpton wasn't also going after all the hip-hop and rap performers that have lyrics that are more offensive than what Imus said.

-ERD50

I heard that Imus' wife "took over" his show---not sure if it was for one day or permanent.
She's an author who is into the environment; supposedly her book tour had to be cancelled due to this controversy. But c'mon---she's the only one who could possibly take over for him? Why not give a Rutgers University broadcasting major student a shot at this? Anyone but another Imus. Why keep it all in the family? It's seems like a very mild slap on the wrist to Imus if his wife covers for him and the money still keeps coming in....

tangomonster said:
I heard that Imus' wife "took over" his show---not sure if it was for one day or permanent.
She's an author who is into the environment; supposedly her book tour had to be cancelled due to this controversy. But c'mon---she's the only one who could possibly take over for him? Why not give a Rutgers University broadcasting major student a shot at this? Anyone but another Imus. Why keep it all in the family? It's seems like a very mild slap on the wrist to Imus if his wife covers for him and the money still keeps coming in....

Dont forget to bring your pitchforks and torches ::)

I think we have seen the end of the "shock jock". I heard Mike Francessa will be taking over the show.

janeeyre said:
I think we have seen the end of the "shock jock". I heard Mike Francessa will be taking over the show.

Doubt it. People enjoy listening to this type of stuff otherwise he would have never been in business for that long. People listen to comedians who spew racial and sexist remarks.

crazy connie said:
........Al Sharpton was a guest. He did not have a whole lot to say about the lyrics that Beck read from songs/recordings of the current hip-hop/rappers. They are exceedingly rude and crude to put it politely. Sharpton says the FCC needs to work on that but Imus needs to be fired and removed from the airways. Looks like the knife only cuts one way by Al.

begin rant/ :D

*** THE FOLLOWING IS NOT DIRECTED AT ANYONE ON THIS FORUM....Directly NOR Indirectly!!!! ***

I just wish the FCC could ban the likes of Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, they are a PITA! Either we have freedom of speech, or we don't have freedom of speech, but the LAST ones that will determine that for me, are those two! Anyone can say whatever they want about me and/or my race/ethnicity, and I could give a rat's *ss less! For crying out loud, WE ARE AMERICANS!!! The whole freakin' world hates us and says nasty things about us!! Do we care?? H*LL NO!!! Why?? Because we know we're not all that bad!!! But let one of our own say something....and then we get pissed off, and want to terminate him (or her)!

Get over it America! This is the land of the FREE! If ya don't like what somebody says....don't listen to 'em! Turn them off! If someone says (or does) something stupid, so what? Unless you're God (or some other "higher" being), you've said or done something stupid AT LEAST once in your life! (well excluding me though!) ::)

And why would ANYONE listen to either Sharpton OR Jackson?? If there were ever any people that irritate the h*ll out of me, it would have to be those two....and George Dubya....and Suze Orman.... and my sister....and.... and....and.... :uglystupid:

If they took ALL of the stupid people off the airways, we'd have about a dozen channels (or LESS) to choose from, and only about 4 or 5 hours of programming a day!! HEY!!! Wait a minute!!! Now THERE'S an idea!!! :LOL:

end rant/ :D

Oh yeah....Imus! That was the topic, right? I don't watch him...never have. What I saw of him on the news, all I can say is that he looks weird! Uh-oh! I did it now! I said an old white guy looks weird! SH*T!!! Now AARP will be protesting out in front of my house, wanting to ban me from my computer!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Im all for free speech. And he got his free speech. Now he is reaping what he said. Just because you have free speech don't expect anyone to like what the hell you are saying and their wont be some kind of backlash.

Absolutely. Unless I missed Sharpton calling for him to be jailed, this has nothing to do with free speech. There's no First Amendment right to keep people from thinking you're a sad, washed up a**hole, there's no right to advertisers, and there's no right to a broadcast audience.

Most people won't miss Imus. The ones that will include:

Those that raise millions for Infant diseases
Those that raise millions for kids with cancer
Families whose children's short lives have been touched by his generosity.

Hopefully these wonderful foundations will continue.

BUM said:
Most people won't miss Imus. The ones that will include:

Those that raise millions for Infant diseases
Those that raise millions for kids with cancer
Families whose children's short lives have been touched by his generosity.

Hopefully these wonderful foundations will continue.

Didn't Al Capone use a similar excuse?

I'm pretty sure that most people that donated through Imus will donate through some other channel.

-ERD50

Goonie said:
Get over it America! This is the land of the FREE!

Whoops, I think this is where you made your mistake. That was 75 or so years ago!

Ha

ERD50 said:
Didn't Al Capone use a similar excuse?

I'm pretty sure that most people that donated through Imus will donate through some other channel.

-ERD50

Comparing a murderer with someone who said some dumb things. Ya that makes a lot of sense.

Mwsinron said:
Comparing a murderer with someone who said some dumb things. Ya that makes a lot of sense.

I didn't compare their mis-deeds. I used an intentionally extreme example to show the fault in logic of the statement.

Doing some good deeds does not exonerate one for their mis-deeds. Whether that mis-deed was murder, or a stupid, insulting public statement. Same logic applies.

Right?

-ERD50

HaHa said:
Whoops, I think this is where you made your mistake. That was 75 or so years ago!

Ha

:LOL:

Yeah, I guess that it's only the home of the FREE, if you're an illegal alien, or a law breaking scum bag! For the rest of the folks, like you and me, we best watch our P's & Q's, or those pinko, commy, "other-country"-Americans watching out for their own damnable selves and their WALLETS (read: Al & Jesse) the good of "the American people", will come down and holler and protest like a bunch of morons gently suggest that THEY are RIGHT, and that WE are WRONG, and that WE are violating THEIR civil rights!

To which I say: "SCREW 'EM!!!" :D

If I ran a radio station I would have fired Imus because I would not want to be associated with someone who spews his kind of garbage. It has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment. If the FCC wants to step in and fine Imus I would completely oppose that.

But when Al Sharpton campaigns against Imus I want to vomit. Al brought us the Tawana Brawley fraud -- he claimed the cops and prosecutor were among her supposed rapists. And what about the Central Park jogger -- Al called her a whore and IIRC said her boyfriend did the deed. Where is his apology? I can't believe the media doesn't call that hypocrite on his past.

donheff said:
But when Al Sharpton campaigns against Imus I want to vomit. Al brought us the Tawana Brawley fraud -- he claimed the cops and prosecutor were among her supposed rapists. And what about the Central Park jogger -- Al called her a whore and IIRC said her boyfriend did the deed. Where is his apology? I can't believe the media doesn't call that hypocrite on his past.

And while their at it, maybe Al Sharpton & Jessi Jackson should consider meeting with and apologizing to the families of the Duke lacrosse players.

donheff said:
If I ran a radio station I would have fired Imus because I would not want to be associated with someone who spews his kind of garbage. It has nothing to do with the 1st Amendment. If the FCC wants to step in and fine Imus I would completely oppose that.

If I ran the radio station I would have fired him a long time ago. He had a 1.o share in the NYC market for the past 15 years!!! He had NO RATINGS! None!

Now what Monvess should have done was fire him the next day after his idiotic statements. That way the jerk sharpton remember twana brawly?? Then he and jessie jackson would not have been in this picture!

Political correctness at its worst. Selective one-sided outrage. A big brouhaha stirred up by hypocritical race pimps. IMUS is reaping what he sowed. No problem with that. But, are the saviors of America Al Sharpton and jesse Jackson? Have we sunk this low? A pox on MSNBC, CBS and their sponsors who are too timid to tell Al and Jesse where to go.

It was time to put a lid on Imus .He was funny years ago but now he's just pathetic.

Goonie said:
:LOL:

Yeah, I guess that it's only the home of the FREE, if you're an illegal alien, or a law breaking scum bag! For the rest of the folks, like you and me, we best watch our P's & Q's, or those pinko, commy, "other-country"-Americans watching out for their own damnable selves and their WALLETS (read: Al & Jesse) the good of "the American people", will come down and holler and protest like a bunch of morons gently suggest that THEY are RIGHT, and that WE are WRONG, and that WE are violating THEIR civil rights!

To which I say: "SCREW 'EM!!!" :D

why are you so angry?

exactly who is the "we" and the "them" and who would you like to screw? :eek:

i have never been an imus fan but im willing to bet this was just away of removing the last of the old school radio jocks and getting to replace him with a hip hop station. i would be very surprised if it didnt go that way.

the team should remember that if imus didnt make those stupid remarks no one would have heard of them altogether. he put them on talk shows, the newspapers and the media everywhere. guess there was some good from it.

Back
Top Bottom