Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks

dex

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks

http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/10/imus.rutgers/index.html

I think Imus should be fired not just for his recent remarks but for all the racist, sexist, anti semitic and other remarks he has made in the past.

Some may say that it was all said in jest. I believe that by using such remarks he helps to keep the terms alive and influences others to use them.

Re: Rutgers team speaks out on Imus remarks

dex said:
http://www.cnn.com/2007/SHOWBIZ/TV/04/10/imus.rutgers/index.html

I think Imus should be fired not just for his recent remarks but for all the racist, sexist, anti semitic and other remarks he has made in the past.

Some may say that it was all said in jest. I believe that by using such remarks he helps to keep the terms alive and influences others to use them.

Dex

I know three of the team members personally. I know coach stringer. Wonderful ladies. And I mean wonderful! I have got to say that Imus has been a winner for losing for so long. He gets no ratings on his awful show, 1.2 shares forever. He has very little talent and now this. a two week suspension? No he should be gone forever. how in the world can msnbc and cbs radio keep a bad entertainer on the air with no ratings? It makes you wonder how stupid are the people who run tv and radio?

My take on this was that the networks would keep him on as long as he was making them money. Newguy's comment is that he has low ratings and I assume that means he isn't making them money.

So what's going on? Why do they keep him?

This is just another media circle jerk.

What exactly did he say that everyone hasn't heard before ? Who cares if he says stupid things, you always have the option to change the channel.

If Imus was of a different ethnic background nobody would blink an eye. Instead we get this..

Ratings will probably go up when he returns. Masterful ploy.

Masterblaster said:
This is just another media circle jerk.

What exactly did he say that everyone hasn't heard before ? Who cares if he says stupid things, you always have the option to change the channel.

If Imus was of a different ethnic background nobody would blink an eye. Instead we get this..

I agree on this.... if he were black would people be screaming for him to be fired... if not, then they are a hypocrite.... if yes, then good for them..

I could care less... I don't listen to drivel like his and so I vote with my money (or feet)... but, there are enough that like him so he will be back.. or maybe go to Sirius..

It is amazing how he draws the media elite movers and shakers to his show as well as major politicans --- Howard Fineman, Joe Lieberman, McCann, Arlen Spector, Tim Russert, all of the NBC folks and many more. I wonder if their daily/weekly visits will continue. I am sure Rev. Al Sharpton will be monitoring the visitors to the show and applying pressure to keep political candidates away from the show.

If Imus' remark were a one time thing, I'd say that the 2 week suspension is enough punishment BUT this is just the latest in a long series of comments that should have been addressed years ago. This type of invective masquerading as "humor" only adds fuel to a fire -- I vote that Imus should be canned.

newguy888 said:
Dex

how in the world can msnbc and cbs radio keep a bad entertainer on the air with no ratings? It makes you wonder how stupid are the people who run tv and radio?

Maybe they're the same folks that chose Kiyosaki for the yahoo finance column.....

I find Imus to be a terrible bore. What amazes me is what is allowed to pass for humor and the standards shift dependent on the race, sex, orientation or a zillion other variables. Standards should be uniform for all media and equally enforced.

crazy connie said:
What amazes me is what is allowed to pass for humor and the standards shift dependent on the race, sex, orientation or a zillion other variables. Standards should be uniform for all media and equally enforced.

Yes. That will start day after tomorrow. :)

Ha

Money is what matters. So far 2 ad company's have pulled out on his show. If more follow they will probably ax him.

Mwsinron said:
Money is what matters. So far 2 ad company's have pulled out on his show. If more follow they will probably ax him.

Yup. The 2 week suspension lets the networks keep their options open. I'd guess that he will be gone permanently.

I think the Iman is a goneman.

janeeyre said:
It is amazing how he draws the media elite movers and shakers to his show as well as major politicans --- Howard Fineman, Joe Lieberman, McCann, Arlen Spector, Tim Russert, all of the NBC folks and many more. I wonder if their daily/weekly visits will continue. I am sure Rev. Al Sharpton will be monitoring the visitors to the show and applying pressure to keep political candidates away from the show.
It is amazing. I stumbled on his TV "show" one morning and though I was watching a dead guy. Another zombie like Larry King. Send him to the ranch to entertain his cows.

Don Imus has been on the radio long enough to know that comments like that, whether in a comedic context or not, were going to raise the ire of somebody, and that he would have to answer those critics.

I thought it was mighty ballsy of him to go on Al Sharpton's radio show, and to show up alone. I think it was petty for Sharpton to turn down the invite to Imus' show. Had Sharpton accepted Imus' offer, you know he would've shown up with an entourage.

The suspension is, I think, appropriate. Whether Imus' comments were made in jest or not, the companies that buy advertising time on his show had to be worried about a backlash. Maybe that fear was ill-founded, maybe not, but I'm sure it was there. The suspension is probably nothing more than a token gesture to show the advertisers that MSNBC is willing to "get tough" with its employees.

Imus will not suffer permanent damage from this, and the women on the Rutger's basketball team will likely go on to successful careers in their chosen professions. It's a "cause du jour", and not much more than that. Al Sharpton will do what he does, Don Imus will do what he does, and we'll all have forgotten this within the month...

Should HBO cancel its comedy programming and fire all of the comedians?

Im all for free speech. And he got his free speech. Now he is reaping what he said. Just because you have free speech don't expect anyone to like what the hell you are saying and their wont be some kind of backlash. Since we are a capitalist society NBC will probably go well screw you we are losing on the bottom line.

Brian Williams and many of the other NBC elitists that have kissed up to Imus in the past have certainly detached themselves from him in a hurry. I know that Imus has had personal relationships with Tim Russert and Brian because he has talked about it openly. They are often guests at his ranch. I wonder if any of them will stand by him in his hour of need --- human nature.

Imus looks like a bum who should be living under a bridge somewhere.

I surprised this has not been said. So, if you are for firing Imus for the stupid things he said, and apologized for, are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I don’t watch either, so I could care less.

I vote that it will depend on the ratings! Follow the Money!

It is all about the money. MSNBC has a double standard. Michael Savidge was fired immediately from MSNBC a couple of years ago when we made an anti-gay remark. Imus will be back just in time for the ratings sweeps of May.

janeeyre said:
I know that Imus has had personal relationships with Tim Russert and Brian because he has talked about it openly. They are often guests at his ranch.
Humm. Why don't they just come out of the closet and be up front about it? This is the 21st century. :LOL:

IMHO Imus and his ilk should be off the air as a result of the abandonment of advertisers. I will not be a customer of any who advertise during (or at either end) of several radio shows. If everyone who was annoyed/disgusted shared that position with advertisers those jerks would need to ask for donations from their listeners to stay on the air.

Follow the money.

Rustic23 said:
are you for firing Rosy for the stupid things she said and did not apologize for. I don’t watch either, so I could care less.

Yes, I'm for firing her too. BTW, I don't watch her either.

Back
Top Bottom