RV Selection Class A vs. Class C

How much would it cost to run it through a truck wash?

I have no idea, but I'm guessing it would be worth it.

Since both of our cars were fairly new and could not be towed we rented at a RV park that was on a bus line when going to a big city. If the area was more rural we would rent a car. Sometimes we just unhook the RV and drive it around. It really depends.

RE: washing an RV. Most campgrounds, especially those out west won't allow washing your RV at the campsite. Some do allow outside vendors to come and wash it but those are expensive.
What I've used which works great and is relatively easy is Wash Wax All. There are other brands of waterless washes. I've never had a problem washing the RV in a campground using this. Much quicker than washing with water/soap/drying, etc.

Since both of our cars were fairly new and could not be towed we rented at a RV park that was on a bus line when going to a big city. If the area was more rural we would rent a car. Sometimes we just unhook the RV and drive it around. It really depends.
What kind of RV do you have? And why have you chosen not to tow a vehicle?

Neither of our cars can be towed so we would need to buy 1 that could be. Also a rack to put the car on so we could tow behind the RV costs 4k. WE bought a 1993 Winnebago with only 37k miles on it. I call it a rolling tent. Just when we get everything fixed on it something else breaks. One summer we paid to have the refrigerator fixed and used it for a month. The next summer it did not work again. Now we are just using coolers. In a few weeks we are going somewhere that is 3 hours away so I will drive a car so we have 1 when we get there. At one point everything was working and we were going to sell but decided against it. Now some things are broke again. Ugh!

Another point - where people have to swap motorhomes to get it right - sometimes two swaps - is the interior layout.

How are the beds? Can you visit the toilet at night without waking your partner? Do you cook a lot or just heat some rolls now and then? Can you take a nap after dinner in the sofa?

My advice is to look into as many as you can of different sizes and layouts. Then perhaps rent one - or several - to try them out.

I can answer the above questions for my fifth wheel trailer.
The beds are poor without a memory foam.mattress cover.
We have a second door in the bathroom that can close for privacy late at night.
Our bunkhouse trailer has a stove, fridge, microwave and a gas grill outside. We seldom cook inside--except on rainy days.
We deleted the dinette and ordered a leather SuperSofa. It is 12 feet of Loveseat, right-hand and left hand wa!lhugger recliners. Naps are automatic.
With 4 slides and 3 flatscreens, our fifth wheel floor plan is!seldom matched by any Class A. It suits my wife, 2 grandchildren and myself perfectly.

Neither of our cars can be towed so we would need to buy 1 that could be. Also a rack to put the car on so we could tow behind the RV costs 4k. WE bought a 1993 Winnebago with only 37k miles on it. I call it a rolling tent. Just when we get everything fixed on it something else breaks. One summer we paid to have the refrigerator fixed and used it for a month. The next summer it did not work again. Now we are just using coolers. In a few weeks we are going somewhere that is 3 hours away so I will drive a car so we have 1 when we get there. At one point everything was working and we were going to sell but decided against it. Now some things are broke again. Ugh!

My two friends went half on a 1994 Ford based 28' RV with just over 44,000 miles on it. They expected repairs and were granted many. I act as the "chief mechanic" for them and so far their $4,500 camper is up to $13,000. But we did most of the refurbishing (new interior) and motor work (mostly general maintenance) ourselves. Plus it has new tires ($2000), new brakes ($800) and repaired A/C ($1400).

Any PVC in the old campers is brittle as are other plastic parts. The silicone sealant used everywhere is no so good anymore either (here come the leaks).

Buying a 20 -25 year old RV is fraught with danger in the form of all kinds of things needing repair.

Buying a 20 -25 year old RV is fraught with danger in the form of all kinds of things needing repair.

+1

I've learned over the years that it isn't a good idea to hang on to an RV more than 10 years old, even one that has been well-cared for. Although we bought new this last time (because it probably really is the last time), we purchased our previous two RVs when they were four years old and sold them at the 10 year mark. We were fortunate in avoiding any major repairs, only routine maintenance and minor stuff.

Back
Top Bottom