Samsung S5 vs S6 and protection

Badger

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I'm finally going to bite the bullet and buy a pair of the new style of Samsung phones after years of flip phones we use for talking only. The wife wants to have all the new whistles and bells and be able to use the internet. She doesn't require jewelry, flowers, or fancy clothes so it is the least I can do.

After seeing the prices and picking myself off the floor I think we will go with the Samsung S5 instead of the S6. I like the ability to change out the memory card and battery which you can't do with the S6.

Does anyone know a good reason to spend more for the S6 when they both do pretty much the same thing?

I would also appreciate any recommendations for a screen cover (I've heard the tempered glass are very good for protection) and some kind of shock absorbing case. Brand names are helpful.

Is insurance against lost, stolen, or broken in any way a reasonable expense at about $10/month each?

It's going to happen although this whole thing has me nervous and anxious. I'm still in the mindset of black land line dial phones. :blush:

Cheers!

Either way you will love the S5 or S6 (I still use a S4). I moved over from a crackberry about 1.5 years ago and love it.

I use a speck case and a generic plastic screen cover - dropped the phone many times and no damage (knocks wood).

My S4 recently died a horrible death, just after the S6 came out. I got a new S6(not the edge) and DW went from a dumb phone to an S5 mini. The biggest change I noticed is the battery recharge time on S5 - >S6. DWs S5 takes a couple hours+ the S6 an hour. That's using the S6 charger that's much improved. There's probably a 100 other things the S6 can do, I'm not a power user.

Cases we went with Pelican, the cover was an Invisible Shield. Both seem fine.

As far as insurance yes I pay for it. Not sure if it's worth the money. Don't think I'm paying $10 a month.

Does anyone know a good reason to spend more for the S6 when they both do pretty much the same thing?
Nope

I would also appreciate any recommendations for a screen cover (I've heard the tempered glass are very good for protection) and some kind of shock absorbing case. Brand names are helpful.
I use a Samsung S4 with no screen protector and no case. I have dropped it a few times but have not broken it. YMMV!

Is insurance against lost, stolen, or broken in any way a reasonable expense at about $10/month each?

Insurance may have a several hundred dollar deductible on top of the monthly cost. Also if you use it more than once they may cancel the insurance on you. That said, I have used insurance in the past and replacements came the next day. If I do not buy the insurance, I need it. If I do buy it, I usually do not need it. :facepalm:

I have a Galaxy S2 and expect to soon purchase a new phone. After waiting eagerly for the S6, I was a bit disappointed in the new approach: no easy battery swap and no SD card. Also, it is not water resistant like the S5. While the S6 may be pretty, that gets hidden when you use a case. The final thing for me was the latest Consumer Reports rankings which has the S5 beating out the S6 and still at the top of the rankings. Now the S6 does have an improved camera with optical image stabilization and builtin wireless charging. But battery life is inferior to the S5 according to CR. And for me, my phone is not my main camera.

So for me, it will be the S5. I'd get it now but I'm leaving on a trip next week and will take my old and trusty S2 and wait to purchase until I get back. As for insurance, I've never got it for my phones. If I were to get it, I'd do it through a third party source to save money. But you really have to look at the details of the coverage. I may buy my phone outright to benefit from the extra year of manufacturers warranty by using a credit card. I will use a case and probably a screen protector although I'm not sure how much that's needed these days.

I too have an older S3 and have no reason to get rid of it. After a couple of drops, the screen finally cracked but you can't see where it cracked. I have subsequently purchased the "Otter Box Defender" that has the protective case as well as the screen protector. I have dropped it no less than 5 times since then and the glass hasn't cracked (or spread) again. I did see a news story that compared several different covers and they (ALL OF THEM) were pretty effective when run over by a car. SO....

If and when the S3 dies, I will probably upgrade to an S4...they should be less than $200 by then. :)

Does the insurance cover a trip through a clothes washer? Today was not a good day for my poor phone...

The final thing for me was the latest Consumer Reports rankings which has the S5 beating out the S6 and still at the top of the rankings. Now the S6 does have an improved camera with optical image stabilization and builtin wireless charging. But battery life is inferior to the S5 according to CR.

Didn't read CR. I can tell you from experience that you have to tweak the S6 to preserve battery. As delivered the battery life was terrible, after tweaks(remove the battery hogs) it's better than the S5 mini and my old S4. YMMV.

Daughter has the S5 active which is the rugged version of the S5 and she very much likes it and has been unable to injure it. It is designed to not be in a case, in fact I don't think one can get one for it.

It is time for me to retire this old seven year old phone, so we're probably going out shopping tomorrow. Can someone comment on why you pick the Galaxy S-series instead of the Galaxy Note? The Note 4 seems to have better battery life specs than the Galaxy 6 and seems to be more suited to folks who take notes at church committee meetings and surf the web while traveling.

Recently ASUS has come out with a $200 phone that has Quickcharge ability. You can see many comments on the Amazon site, look up Zenfone 2. Anandtech has a full review on this.

I'm considering it because ... it's $200 so if the battery starts going south after a few years of using Quickcharge or I drop it, the loss is not so hard to bear. The S6 looks great, except for the price which I'd wind up paying directly and going with Tmobil.

It is time for me to retire this old seven year old phone, so we're probably going out shopping tomorrow. Can someone comment on why you pick the Galaxy S-series instead of the Galaxy Note? The Note 4 seems to have better battery life specs than the Galaxy 6 and seems to be more suited to folks who take notes at church committee meetings and surf the web while traveling.

I'm not sure you can talk/txt on the note - I have one that I use for work - it was "free" when I got my phone and it's about 15 a month for the wireless. So yes, I have both a S and a Note. :eek:

For me, it's just too big. In fact all the newer phones - with a few exceptions - are bigger than I'd like. But if its size is not an issue for you, then the Note 4 is definitely one to consider. If you can wait a few months, the Note 5 will be coming out and prices for the 4 should drop.

We decided to go with the Galaxy S6, battery life concerns notwithstanding. The Note is simply too clunky (by comparison) and wasn't going to be the tablet killer I was hoping it could be. I got two recharge units to carry-with, just in case, and the phone itself is fantastic. (Of course, everything is great compared to my seven year old LG Voyager.)

[-]I'd buy an iPhone, Google is more evil than Apple.[/-] :blush:

Last edited:
We have a couple of S5's that we bought out - right last fall (no contract). We use AT&T currently. We really like the phones. Previously only had flip phones, never any smart phones. I have the Otterbox Defender case, and highly recommended it to protect your phone in case of drops. I've dropped mine to the pavement a couple of times and on hard floors a couple of times, and she's still ticking. Wife has the Otterbox Commuter case. Lighter weight and less bulky than mine, but my phone gets rougher treatment than hers. I fish, bang it around on my belt, etc. Hers stays in her purse. After about three months with no insurance, we signed on with AT&T for coverage, I'm thinking around $7 or $8 each, per month. We have decent screen protectors as well, but don't remember the names. About $20 each.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom