saved by goggles

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
While installing a deadbolt lock for my friend this evening, as I was cutting the hole with a hole saw, my power drill kicked back and the battery did a 360 and smacked me. Thank goodness I had goggles on otherwise it would have caught me right on my glasses/eye. As a result, I had smudge on my goggle from the battery pack, but that was about it.

As they say, eat your vegetables and wear safety goggles :)

+1

DH learned this lesson the hard way several years ago. He was planting a pine tree in the yard and needed to cut the wire basket around the root ball. The wire was harder to cut than he thought, and he ended up using large snips to cut through the wire...until a shard of the cut wire flew up and embedded in his eye. He ended up in the hospital and came dangerously close to losing vision in that eye. Fortunately he came through the emergency with vision intact...but now he wears safety glasses during any kind of cutting, drilling, etc.

Sorry to hear about what your DH had to go through. I got lucky tonight as I don't wear goggles 100% of the time while using a drill. But since this job required a hole saw at pretty high speeds, I decided to put it on. Now I'm motivated to look for a nicer pair that confortable and easy to see out of so I wear it 100% of the time.

For what its worth even ordinary eyeglasses provided a considerable degree of safety. My glasses have absorbed an amazing number of impacts over the years.

I got lucky tonight as I don't wear goggles 100% of the time while using a drill.
Navy safety magazines alternate between showing photos of guys who were wearing goggles (like the guy whose drill bit snapped off, kicked back, and embedded itself in his goggles just short of his cornea)...

... and the guys who weren't wearing goggles.

Spouse and I were cutting yard waste one evening; she was holding the wood steady for me (and the reciprocating saw). I hesitated before starting the saw. She saw I was wearing goggles, rolled her eyes, and got her own pair. As soon as I started the cut, the saw blade kicked a wood chip right against her goggle lense.

For what its worth even ordinary eyeglasses provided a considerable degree of safety. My glasses have absorbed an amazing number of impacts over the years.
I'm very nearsighted and wear glasses pretty much all the time. When I worked on survey crew I used to get my prescription lenses made from tempered safety glass.

Good reminder.

It is easy to overlook it.

I am definitely a big believer in eye protection which has probably saved me at least a few trips to the emergency room over the years at the very least. But...

Am I the only one here who was expecting a wacky story about Internet searching and wondering how Google's saved someone?

I thought it was an early Thanksgiving thread about being saved by turkeys (goggle, goggle, goggle).

We visited our emergency room a couple of years ago. DH learned it is better to wear jeans while mowing the lawn than shorts when the mower did its job on a short piece of copper wire from a cable installation and sent a small piece of it a couple of inches into his calf, where it still resides. Jeans might have stopped it. It would probably be a good idea to wear goggles while mowing too.

Those college students sure are aggressive..........:LOL:

Am I the only one here who was expecting a wacky story about Internet searching and wondering how Google's saved someone?
I thought it was going to be a commentary on beer goggles and last-call dating...

As the crowd gets closer in age to getting cataract surgery new dangers pile up.

For example: In my case I've worn glasses since age 7. No matter what I did the glasses protected my eyes. Never had to think about putting on safety glasses.

One year ago had surgery for cataract in both eyes. Now I must consciously and at great effort put on safety glasses when things are likely to become projectiles. I do do it, several times already saved by transparent eye shields.

... It would probably be a good idea to wear goggles while mowing too.
ALWAYS wear some eyewear while mowing. Things have a bad habit of richoceting right back at you. I have a pair of large lens (aviator frames) sunglasses that work beautifully for eye protection.
Also...for boaters...there is nothing worse than getting a bug or bee in the eye while the throttle is wide open. :nonono:

Great call on the goggles. I wish I was wearing them 25 years ago when a speck of metal lodged in my eye and had to be surgically removed. Now I wear safety glasses/goggles all the time.

I'm very nearsighted and wear glasses pretty much all the time. When I worked on survey crew I used to get my prescription lenses made from tempered safety glass.

Me. too.
Here's an interesting point for those living outside the USA:

When I lived in Brazil, I had new glasses made and was amazed at how much thinner the lenses were than those I had in the states. I'm not talking about just the difference between ordinary and high-index -- these were glass lenses that were just remarkably thinner. They looked great and weighed little. I loved them.

After I returned to the land of round doorknobs, my next pair of glasses were thicker again, and I asked why the discrepancy existed.

The optometrist explained that in this country, the safety standards were such that they had no choice. He said that if I had ever had an impact on my Brazilian lenses, there was a good chance that they might have broken more easily and caused eye damage.

I don't know any of the details about the physical makeup of the glass, but I always thought this was an interesting and important point.

Back
Top Bottom