Join Early Retirement Today

Re: Saying "No" to Walmart
Old 04-02-2006, 11:58 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I don't like the huge superstores, but they built one a block from my apartments. (!) Now I shop there even though I grouse about the traffic. The reason? I've long said if there were a convenient grocery store that didn't have those stupid shopping cards I'd go there. Now Wal-Mart is the most convenient grocery store, even with the traffic, and they don't have that card thing.

I just found out a couple of days ago that a back dead-end road near my apartments got connected as an inlet/outlet. I've been griping ever since I moved here that they should do that, but that was before they built the large mall that the street now connects to. And my rent goes up for the privilege of living on a street between a super Wal-Mart and a mega mall?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-02-2006, 12:15 PM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMoneyJim
I just found out a couple of days ago that a back dead-end road near my apartments got connected as an inlet/outlet. I've been griping ever since I moved here that they should do that, but that was before they built the large mall that the street now connects to.
No kidding. Maybe you should raise your own rent by subletting.

Oahu has a major secondary road (Moanaloa Freeway) that used to dead-end at a major side street (Waimano Home Road). The traffic was pretty clogged up during rush hour so they extended the secondary road through a couple more intersections to end at a strip mall across from a post office in a slightly blighted part of town (Acacia Road & Kam Hwy).

A couple dozen commercial realtors & investors noted the new connectivity and said "Hmmmm..."

Today that intersection has the original strip mall with a Sam's Club (being expanded), the post office (talking about expanding), the island's newest Wal-Mart with one of the nation's largest garden centers, and a Home Depot. You can imagine what the rush hour traffic is like now, and weekends are a demolition-derby zoo!

I can understand why they needed the Wal-Mart next to the Sam's Club. The other two closest Wal-Marts on the island are five miles away (different directions) and, after all, this place has nearly a million people on 600 square miles. Big-box store growth over the last 15 years has been truly impressive.

I don't think I'd consider Wal-Mart's stock undervalued just yet. They seem to be rushing into expensive areas where others have good reason to fear treading.

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote