Scary Dreams

I mostly telecommuted and traveled for the last three years of my employment (10 years ago) and I occasionally have a nightmare that I forgot so turn in something or other (usually expensive travel to faraway places) in my expense report and today is my last working day so if I don't do it it right now I'll never get reimbursed! Then I wake up - oh what a relief!

My scary dreams are almost always about my old job. I'm thinking my former boss must be much like your former wife. If so, good thing we're both rid of them.

Never been married here, so no scary dreams involving an ex DW. My nightmares almost always involve failing an exam at school or not being on time for a test, class, paper etc.
My scary dreams are almost always about my old job. I'm thinking my former boss must be much like your former wife. If so, good thing we're both rid of them.

I also have the dreams about missing a test, and being either naked or in pajamas at school.

Wonder if that has been analyzed for cause?

But the really universal dream seems to be forgetting to attend a class and suddenly panicking. Does that happen only to college grads or does everyone have that bad dream?

I had a dream last year that I went back to my college for some reunion and they told me I hadn't graduated, that I needed one more semester (at age 60). The whole dream involved trying to find out where to register for the classes at the last minute and also the roommate in the dorm I had already been assigned to, who was even older than I and very religious. Even in the dream I was wondering why I cared that I hadn't really graduated and should I just go home--when I woke up I was laughing.

My nightmares these days involve the end of the world in my lifetime. Watching too much Science Channel these days, I guess.

My dad in his old age used to have nightmares of fighting with a tiger and he thrashed around terribly--broke some furniture once. He was a combat engineer in the Philippines in WWII. We figure he was metaphorically fighting old age, but he had seen a lot of terrible things. He never talked much about it.

He also told me of his years in the American SouthWest in the early part of the 20th century. There were people still alive who were in the old Wild West. They had a camp cook who they made sleep away from camp as he had violent nightmares. It turns out he had shot his own father.

When I remember these things, it puts things in perspective.

For years now, my dream-response to the naked-dreams has been to pull a cover-up out of a bag I just happen to be carrying; and to the missed-school dreams, "Hey, wait a minute, what difference does it make? I have been working for decades, and nobody's noticed!"

But that evil-car dream...all I can do is wake up and shudder.

Amethyst

I had a dream last year that I went back to my college for some reunion and they told me I hadn't graduated, that I needed one more semester (at age 60). The whole dream involved trying to find out where to register for the classes at the last minute and also the roommate in the dorm I had already been assigned to, who was even older than I and very religious. Even in the dream I was wondering why I cared that I hadn't really graduated and should I just go home--when I woke up I was laughing.

I didn't mean to give this impression. My ex was not worse than me, and probably better. I just found that once the kids were up, I no longer had the motivation for all that compromising.

I think I have a greater than average desire/need for autonomy, and I also respect that in others. Nevertheless, this is a different attitude than what I think it might take to be happiest in a long marriage. So I think my objection is in fact more to marriage per se, than to marriage with any particular person. I tend to like and admire many different women, I just don't want to be married to one. :)

Ha

Last edited:
I didn't mean to give this impression. My ex was not worse than me, and probably better. I just found that once the kids were up, I no longer had the motivation for all that compromising.

I think I have a greater than average desire/need for autonomy, and I also respect that in others. Nevertheless, this is a different attitude than what I think it might take to be happiest in a long marriage. So I think my objection is in fact more to marriage per se, than to marriage with any particular person. I tend to like and admire many different women, I just don't want to be married to one. :)

Ha

Ha, yep. You definitely have a good reason not to get married! :cool:

Back
Top Bottom