Join Early Retirement Today
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Scary Dreams
Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Scary Dreams

Every now and again I have a dream featuring an argument with my ex, only we are stilll married. In last night's installment she told me she wanted a second land line, in addition to the one we already had and our cell phones. I say, "why?" No one ever uses the one we have." "I just need it, in case you are on the other one." "But I am on it maybe once a month!" "I don't care!"

At that I wake up terrified, being once more confronted with the marriage dilemma- the next best thing to a negotiated solution can be being ripped apart in a divorce. Just like whoever is the most timid makes the rules about sex, whoever is the least committed makes the negotiating rules.

Then I get fully awake and a big smile comes across my face-"Hey boy, you already be divorced!" It's the same feeling as when I would dream about forgetting to study for an exam, or write some paper. I'd wake up and discover that I already graduated!

I think this attitude kind of warps my personality, but it's worth the warp to avoid ever being stupid enough to go lock myself in a room with a maniac and lose the key again.

Ha
__________________

__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM   #2
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,822
I think that marriage can be, and for many people is, the most wonderful and fulfilling of life experiences.

But after 23 years, my marriage failed. I wish it had been better, but that was not to be. Like you, I am enjoying being single again.
__________________

__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets
Richard4444's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: South Florida
Posts: 402
Hmmmm. First you say : only we are stilll married then you go on to say: Then I get fully awake and a big smile comes across my face-"Hey boy, you already be divorced!"
You can't have it both ways - or can you?
__________________
Richard4444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:23 AM   #4
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
It's the same feeling as when I would dream about forgetting to study for an exam, or write some paper. I'd wake up and discover that I already graduated!
As a EE grad, on occasion I still get those exam nightmares, but the really crazy thing is I find that I now have a yearning to go back to school again, just for the fun of it
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:39 AM   #5
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 1,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
A lady I worked with explained it to me this way, going from best to worst.

#1 - Happily Married
#2 - Happily Single
#3 - Unhappily Single
#4 - Unhappily Married

From reading many posts on this board, it seems as though we have many 'marrieds' who are in the the first category. Bravo to them. I wonder if they just lucked out...or if there's something else to which they can attribute their marital success?

omni
__________________
omni550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:49 AM   #6
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard4444 View Post
Hmmmm. First you say : only we are stilll married
Ever had a dream yourself?
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:52 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,315
My scary dream is that I am back in college and I have somehow totally forgotten about an important class I enrolled in. It is about a week until the end of the quarter and I am desperately trying to make up the missing work and find out when and where the class meets. Then I wake up and realize I have two degrees and will soon have another - the MRL (Master of the Retired Life).
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 10:59 AM   #8
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
DFW_M5's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 4,980
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
From reading many posts on this board, it seems as though we have many 'marrieds' who are in the the first category. Bravo to them. I wonder if they just lucked out...or if there's something else to which they can attribute their marital success?

omni
You can probably attribute it to the drinking water
__________________
DFW_M5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #9
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
haha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Hooverville
Posts: 22,380
Quote:
Originally Posted by omni550 View Post
From reading many posts on this board, it seems as though we have many 'marrieds' who are in the the first category. Bravo to them. I wonder if they just lucked out...or if there's something else to which they can attribute their marital success?

omni
Perhaps survivor bias? Lack of marital cooperation makes the heroic savings programs that many here adopt impossible. Also, divorce can be real setback. In many cases divorce settlements and child support can pretty well cancel any idea of getting out of work early with a good standard of living.

I know plenty of middle aged couples who have developed reasonable workarounds to broken marriages. If they both can read the writing on the wall, and both realize that neither can blow up the ship without going down with it, a kind of detente may ensue. But all it takes is one of them to be truly done and then look out.

I know, sounds marvelous doesn't it?

Ha
__________________
"As a general rule, the more dangerous or inappropriate a conversation, the more interesting it is."-Scott Adams
haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 11:58 AM   #10
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I think that marriage can be, and for many people is, the most wonderful and fulfilling of life experiences.

But after 23 years, my marriage failed. I wish it had been better, but that was not to be. Like you, I am enjoying being single again.
Oh, and as for scary dreams which I guess is the topic in hand - - I don't often have scary dreams any more, now that my work stress has pretty much vanished. Sometimes I have nightmares about something endangering my daughter (like, rushing to pull her, as a toddler, out of the way of an 18-wheeler). Sometimes I nightmare about the Gulf Oil Spill, which happened less than a year after I retired. I dream that they call me back to work, and that those performing my job functions are messing up badly and that I have to set things right.

These are my (rare) nightmares. I never dream about my marriage, which seems very far behind me.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #11
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Chuckanut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: West of the Mississippi
Posts: 6,315
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Perhaps survivor bias? Lack of marital cooperation makes the heroic savings programs that many here adopt impossible. Also, divorce can be real setback. In many cases divorce settlements and child support can pretty well cancel any idea of getting out of work early with a good standard of living.
+1
__________________
The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
Scary dream I have a few times a year: Car starts driving itself; refuses to obey steering wheel or brakes!

The earliest dreams I can remember (age 3-5) were extremely scary. Bad guys were chasing me and I knew they wanted to kill me. I would flee up and down flights of stairs and in and out of strange, skeletal buildings. Every now and then I would catch a glimpse of a bad guy who would flash an evil, "I'm gonna kill you, kid!" smile. I often woke up crying for my mother. I'm sure those dreams must have come from watching TV.

Most recent time I dreamed about a bad guy, he had invaded our bedroom, which is just beyond the landing at the top of the second-story stairs. I went for him and somehow managed to throw him down the stairs. So I guess my subconscious has grown up.

Amethyst
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:26 PM   #13
Moderator
MichaelB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Rocky Inlets
Posts: 24,406
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Perhaps survivor bias? Lack of marital cooperation makes the heroic savings programs that many here adopt impossible. Also, divorce can be real setback. In many cases divorce settlements and child support can pretty well cancel any idea of getting out of work early with a good standard of living.

Ha
This has to be a major factor. Divorce is so costly it probably ends the dream of FI or ER for most people, so they are underrepresented here. But it also says a lot about the members here who are divorced yet still managed financial independence or early retirement.
__________________
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 12:29 PM   #14
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Amethyst's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 5,872
Even though I know perfectly well what you mean, the notion of something as anarchic as sex having "rules" makes me laugh

Amethyst

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Just like whoever is the most timid makes the rules about sex,
__________________
If you understood everything I say, you'd be me ~ Miles Davis
'There is only one success – to be able to spend your life in your own way.’ Christopher Morley.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:15 PM   #15
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Marita40's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: St. Paul
Posts: 1,115
I've had all the usual scary school dreams: about to graduate and suddenly realizing I forgot to take a required math class; showing up for an exam without a pencil (and no one would give me one; teaching a class and suddenly realizing I was naked

One repeated and very scary dream is that I have killed someone and am guilty and horrified. The person killed is never someone definite nor is the motive or the method. I wake up with a terrible feeling of abandonment, guilt, and despair--only to have them changed to enormous relief and joy when I realize it was only a dream!
__________________
Marita40 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 01:29 PM   #16
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,356
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
My scary dream is that I am back in college and I have somehow totally forgotten about an important class I enrolled in. It is about a week until the end of the quarter and I am desperately trying to make up the missing work and find out when and where the class meets. Then I wake up and realize I have two degrees and will soon have another - the MRL (Master of the Retired Life).
Virtually same dream for me. That a "lack of preparedness" dream has been mentioned in this string several times makes me wonder if it is more common among those who w*rk+save to be adequately prepared for FIRE.
__________________
GrayHare is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #17
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
bbbamI's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Dallas 'burb
Posts: 9,039
Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
Every now and again I have a dream featuring an argument with my ex, only we are stilll married. In last night's installment she told me she wanted a second land line, in addition to the one we already had and our cell phones. I say, "why?" No one ever uses the one we have." "I just need it, in case you are on the other one." "But I am on it maybe once a month!" "I don't care!"

At that I wake up terrified, being once more confronted with the marriage dilemma- the next best thing to a negotiated solution can be being ripped apart in a divorce. Just like whoever is the most timid makes the rules about sex, whoever is the least committed makes the negotiating rules.

Then I get fully awake and a big smile comes across my face-"Hey boy, you already be divorced!" It's the same feeling as when I would dream about forgetting to study for an exam, or write some paper. I'd wake up and discover that I already graduated!

I think this attitude kind of warps my personality, but it's worth the warp to avoid ever being stupid enough to go lock myself in a room with a maniac and lose the key again.

Ha
So let me get this straight....getting married again is not your cup o' tea.

__________________
There's no need to complicate, our time is short..
bbbamI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 02:36 PM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
I've had some truly horrible dreams, but waking up next to DH makes them go away.
__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:35 PM   #19
Administrator
W2R's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: New Orleans
Posts: 38,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I've had some truly horrible dreams, but waking up next to DH makes them go away.
Aw! That is so sweet.
__________________
Already we are boldly launched upon the deep; but soon we shall be lost in its unshored, harbourless immensities.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 04:39 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus
Bestwifeever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 16,372
Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Aw! That is so sweet.
I know, could I be any cornier? They were really awful awful dreams that I couldn't even share with him, either.

DH had a nightmare once that was so bad his screaming woke me up. He dreamt he was being pelted with rocks by small children.
__________________

__________________
“Would you like an adventure now, or would you like to have your tea first?” J.M. Barrie, Peter Pan
Bestwifeever is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


 

 
All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:39 PM.
 
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.