Scary Personal Boat Stories......

Delaware river, I was in a one-man raft ahead of and filming the big six-man raft with my friends in it. I came to a big standing wave, and my raft started surfing it, such that I stayed one place. The big raft was coming for me, hit me and it flipped over, and I got it all on film.

A few years back my sister and her family and my family rented some cottages on a lake in northern Michigan. Borrwed a friends ski boat for the week. The first day my BIL takes the boat out with my then 3 year old son with him, of course full speed, my BIL drops his-ahem- beverage on the bottom of the boat-reaches down for it and promptly the boat turns 90 degrees. BIL flys out of the boat, I on shore have visions of the boat continuing to cross the 5 mile lake with my son in it.Amazingly the boat slowed down and started to circle. BIL climbs back in the boat and comes back to shore no worse for wear. Wives were none too happy.3year old son thought it was great. Scary yes,dumb even more so. Al

Floating down various rivers of the Missouri Ozarks in a canoe with a few friends and a lot of beer figured very prominently in my [mid and] late teens and throughout my 20's. It was on one of these rivers that I came very close to dying....

Late in the afternoon (which meant many, many beers into the day), I decided it was time for me to swim. We were floating over a deep, clear hole. So, I stood up in the canoe and dove into the water (much to the surprise of my canoe partner). The water was crystal clear and cool; so, I'm swimming along 8 to 10 feet under water really enjoying myself until my chest starts burning for lack of air. Then, I start swimming for the surface. As I break the surface of the water and take a deep breath, I get a brief glimpse of a canoe paddling hard down river....The next thing I know, I am on the river bank with a group of people standing around me.

Apparently, I had surfaced right in front of a canoe that was paddling hard to get off the river because they were ready to be done for the day. That canoe and I collided, knocking me out cold. As I sank below the water and the canoe passed over me, the guy in the back reached down and grabbed my hair to pull me back up and then they towed me to the river bank behind their canoe. I never was able to piece together how long I was unconscious. But, it was definitely long enough for a crowd to gather.

I have no idea how I lived though my indestructible years. Something about God protecting drunks and fools I guess.

Floating down various rivers of the Missouri Ozarks in a canoe with a few friends and a lot of beer figured very prominently in my [mid and] late teens and throughout my 20's. It was on one of these rivers that I came very close to dying....

Late in the afternoon (which meant many, many beers into the day), I decided it was time for me to swim. We were floating over a deep, clear hole. So, I stood up in the canoe and dove into the water (much to the surprise of my canoe partner). The water was crystal clear and cool; so, I'm swimming along 8 to 10 feet under water really enjoying myself until my chest starts burning for lack of air. Then, I start swimming for the surface. As I break the surface of the water and take a deep breath, I get a brief glimpse of a canoe paddling hard down river....The next thing I know, I am on the river bank with a group of people standing around me.

Apparently, I had surfaced right in front of a canoe that was paddling hard to get off the river because they were ready to be done for the day. That canoe and I collided, knocking me out cold. As I sank below the water and the canoe passed over me, the guy in the back reached down and grabbed my hair to pull me back up and then they towed me to the river bank behind their canoe. I never was able to piece together how long I was unconscious. But, it was definitely long enough for a crowd to gather.

I have no idea how I lived though my indestructible years. Something about God protecting drunks and fools I guess.

Man, you were really lucky........:) I almost drowned when I was 7.......:(

Back
Top Bottom